No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-01-09, 7:57pm
Wow. Just Wow.

Default Double mandrel holder?

I have seen a mandrel holder that will hold two mandrels at once, but now cannot remember where. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Old 2013-01-09, 9:13pm

Are you thinking of a button mandrel?
Old 2013-01-09, 9:21pm
Wow. Just Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthelm View Post
Are you thinking of a button mandrel?
It is a clippy thing, like a wide, flat alligator clip on a stick, with two channels to accommodate mandrels, that would allow one to insert two mandrels into it, make a button, disengage the mandrels and reload two more mandrels into it, so you don't have to have a dedicated button mandrel for each button/bead. You can use regular mandrels. Come to think of it, I can probably fabricate something. Thanks.
Old 2013-01-10, 4:44am

I used to bend 1/16" mandrels into a hairpin (kind of) then stick the loopy end into a pin vise.

Arrow Springs carries the Trimlet button mandrels in two sizes: http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/lm_...TwoHoleMandrel

Zoozii's used to make a two-hole mandrel system--I paid a young fortune for it, then, of course, never used it. I don't see it on her website now, though.

What are you thinking of making with a two-pronged mandrel?

Nolly
Old 2013-01-10, 10:41am

There was a gal on here (she went by the name 'TradesBears') a couple of years ago that used to makes tools. She had two different multi-mandrel holders. One held either 2 or 4 mandrels for making buttons, and the other held three mandrels (inline) for making sliders. They were made from Aluminum, and used O-rings to hold them together.

I've still got a couple in stock, somewhere. If you're interested, I can see if I can dig them up.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2013-01-10, 6:47pm
Wow. Just Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolly View Post
I used to bend 1/16" mandrels into a hairpin (kind of) then stick the loopy end into a pin vise.

Arrow Springs carries the Trimlet button mandrels in two sizes: http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/lm_...TwoHoleMandrel

Zoozii's used to make a two-hole mandrel system--I paid a young fortune for it, then, of course, never used it. I don't see it on her website now, though.

What are you thinking of making with a two-pronged mandrel?

Nolly
A friend of mine has an idea to string bracelets a little differently. I told her I had seen a holder, and now can't find it! I think I am committed to trying to make something for her. Thanks for the tips.
Old 2013-01-10, 6:49pm
Wow. Just Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
There was a gal on here (she went by the name 'TradesBears') a couple of years ago that used to makes tools. She had two different multi-mandrel holders. One held either 2 or 4 mandrels for making buttons, and the other held three mandrels (inline) for making sliders. They were made from Aluminum, and used O-rings to hold them together.

I've still got a couple in stock, somewhere. If you're interested, I can see if I can dig them up.

Malcolm
Thanks Malcolm, I am going to see what I can put together. If that fails, I'll be getting in touch with you. Thanks!
Old 2013-01-10, 7:02pm

I think you will find it in the Carla Dona thread in the gallery. I was reading the thread yesterday and thought what a nifty tool it was. I'll see if I can find what page it was on. Jennie

Old 2013-01-10, 10:07pm
Melody of Glass

I've seen the one you're talking about on a vendor's site within the last 3 months, Raven. I just can't recall where it was. If I come across it again, I'll post a link.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-10, 11:47pm
Cave Dweller

http://www.diamondtechcrafts.com/bea...horty-mandrels

(video on how to use it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=F4uQL168aAs

Another type.
http://www.inspirationtoolworks.com/lampworking/0020/

Old 2013-01-11, 12:09am

I got one from Barb Read at RiversEdgeGlass, and I'm really happy with it.
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/riversedgeglass
Old 2013-01-11, 6:39am

Scott Bouwens has invented some really nifty lampworking tools. Check out his mandrel spinner while watching the demo that Role posted.

I'd like to see what you come up with, Raven.

Nolly
Old 2013-01-11, 9:35am

Got it!! Look at page 44, post number 1305 in the Carlo Dona tool thread in the Gallery. I think this might be what you are looking for. Jennie

Old 2013-01-20, 12:15pm
Wow. Just Wow.

Yes! It was a Carlo Dona tool! Can't find one, though. My friend has ordered a double mandrel kit from Zoozies. Thanks all, for the tips. I still will make something, just to see how it works out.