Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-14, 5:25am

Default Any one looking for a good deal on a tile saw for cutting glass??

Check this out.. and shipping is free!!

http://www.defusco.com/Saws-&-Access...duct_info.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-14, 6:10am
Curmudgeon

You can get a thoroughly adequate tile saw at Home Depot for half that price.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-14, 7:48am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brady View Post
You can get a thoroughly adequate tile saw at Home Depot for half that price.
Not of that Quality you wont,not even close.I own one of each and have to say the mk 370 kicks but over the cheaper ones you can get.the cheaper ones will work ok if you just use it a little but well you get what you pay for.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2007-03-14, 7:57am
I'm a lilac!

I bought one of those from DeFusco a while back and I'm really happy with it. At that price it's a steal, too.

I would stay away from the cheaper saws unless you're only going to use it for small jobs every once in a blue moon. I bought mine for sawing dichro slabs into squares for making cabs, and it makes short work of a slab... well worth the extra pennies.

Old 2007-03-14, 10:06am

Thanks Kay.
I am looking for one and just haven't had the time to get to Home Depot to buy one. Kalera do you use a special diamond blade and where do you get it?
Thanks. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-14, 10:19am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I just checked out this listing and the blade that comes with it is a diamond blade

I am thinking about getting one myself for cutting cabs - I love the sliding tray!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-14, 10:51am
Fight glass with FIRE

Most average to good quality tile saws will do just fine. The real only thing that makes a difference is the blade at that stage. When you buy a cheap saw you'll get a cheap blade with it which is the reason it is cheap most of the time. If you get a high quality blade to go with a decent quality saw which can be anywhere from $80-$150 for a top notch blade you'll get great results. I would still stay away from $30 tile saws cause the motors are usually les quality but an average priced saw with a great blade works wonders.

The one that is shown here I have to say look pretty good to me for $200 and probably already has high quality blade already. At that price it seem to be worth the purchase.

Emmanuel Germain

Last edited by meister1981; 2007-03-14 at 10:55am.
Old 2007-03-14, 12:03pm

I am the director of IT at DeFusco Industrial Supply. Since I do all the internet marketing I was pleasantly surprised to have come across this forum and to see that our reputation and great price on the MK 370 tile saw has made it to an area of business that we don't come in contact with often. I think about 80% of our business on this saw is for tilesetters / workers. As you might have read on our website, we got these saws at a discount and we have passed the discount on to you. We are running out of them though because our price cannot be beat. It is below any price at which MK Diamond allows their dealers to sell!

In response to the cheaper tile saws at Home Depot - There are cheaper saws, but the quality does not match MK Diamond's as was mentioned above. The motors on the cheap saws tend to go out much faster. MK Diamond is one of the leaders in tile saws and they have a great reputation.

The main reason I am posting here is to learn more about cutting glass in order to help you get the products you need. We carry a huge selection of diamond blades. The diamond blades from home depot are made in China. We just got in our first batch of Diamante Italia blades made in Italy. We are very proud of the quality of these. We would like to be able to supply artists with blades to cut glass if it is something we can do easily.

Now, I hope this doesn't sound like a sales pitch, but are you guys familiar with ring saws for cutting tile / glass? We have a video on our site with one of them in action. It allows you to cut in any direction, curves, circles, straight lines, etc. There is a video of a ring saw in action on this link...

We also have a cheaper ring saw ..

Thanks for your business and time! Let me know if we can do anything to answer questions or help!

J
Old 2007-03-14, 12:40pm

Hi J,
It would be really helpful for you to list the thickness of the continuous rim wet blades and for glass, thinner is better. The ones that come with certainly work but are rather thick for certain processes. For example, I just checked another site that lists the MK303 Lapidary blade with a thickness of .050". Just a thought. That is a really nice saw for that price!

Old 2007-03-14, 2:10pm
Curmudgeon

You might also consider the Gemini Revolution Saw
http://www.geminisaw.com/revolutionxt.html

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-14, 2:29pm

Default revolution

Yes, Dennis - one of the links I posted above is to the revolution saw WITH a video of it in action.

Thanks
Old 2007-03-14, 2:42pm

J,
What's the difference between the MK 370 and the 470? I'm contemplating one and DH (yes, today he is a Dear H ) is giving permission.....since when did I need that?
Kim V

Old 2007-03-14, 2:43pm

I think I bought one online but I never got any order confirmation or email confirmation so maybe I didn't buy one!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-14, 3:59pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defusco Industrial View Post
Yes, Dennis - one of the links I posted above is to the revolution saw WITH a video of it in action.

Thanks

For those visiting Las Vegas GlassCraft Expo, Gemini will likely have one on display (they did last year). It's usual practice for exhibitors to sell the display/demos at the end of the show.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2007-03-14, 4:00pm

If you ordered it from deFusco Industrial, you will get it provided you did the links. I ordered mine on Sat. First thing, Monday, I got confirmation and even got an email today from them stating it is on the way with a tracking #.

I took a fusing class with Patty Gray last week and this is the saw she used for class work so it must hold up to students even. Blade is important but will give the one on it a try before I spend more $.

So Kim, I would say the MK 370 would be sufficient... Patty's class is one of the reasons I chose this saw. It does "kick butt" as Mike Glassfreek says...

And Paula, do a PM to the rep above and I am betting he will take care of you... good luck..

Old 2007-03-14, 4:46pm

Thanks, Kay. That's a great recommendation. Hope you had a good time in Patty's class. I love her stuff!!!

Now I won't have any excuses for not making the kitchen cabinet pulls that I have put off due to having to cut them after I've fused them.

Old 2007-03-14, 5:12pm
i'm not dave

LAG--thanks for the link. i bot one this a.m. due to your referal. and that i need to cut some fuse tiles down to sq.

defusco--- NOW you tell me about the ring saw. guess i'm off to watch your video. terry
Old 2007-03-14, 5:49pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Thanks Kay.
I am looking for one and just haven't had the time to get to Home Depot to buy one. Kalera do you use a special diamond blade and where do you get it?
Thanks. Paula
I think the blade that comes with it would probably work fine, but I bought this one, also from DeFusco, and am very happy with it: http://www.defusco.com/Diamond-Produ...duct_info.html

Old 2007-03-14, 6:01pm

I have this saw and think it's great - I can cut really thick slabs with it (1 1/2"). The only "but" about it is that the arbor on the blade is not a standard size so it's not a slam dunk getting blades for it. I usually buy mine from Hisglassworks - and yes, they're not cheap but I keep my sharpening block close by and they seem to last a long time.

Advertise all you want - I've been looking for a ring saw and may just head your way!

Sadie

Old 2007-03-14, 8:51pm

thanks for the tip on the arbor. I didn't know about that. but Patty Gray said that is where she gets her blades.. hisglassworks...

Old 2007-03-14, 11:03pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

So you use this for cutting thick slabs of glass, like a pattern bar? What else would you use it for?

I'm not asking this of anyone in particular, it's just a tool I don't have, which clearly means I need it.

TEague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2007-03-14, 11:33pm
I'm a lilac!

Teague, yeah, that's exactly what I got mine for... dichro slabs and pattern bars. I haven't been doing as much fusing as I like lately, so I can't speak to how well it does pattern bars, but I am loving the dichro!

Old 2007-03-15, 5:10am

Can you cut thin Murinni with it? Is there a special blade to purchase for this to help cut thin murinni?

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2007-03-15, 5:23am

also good for squaring up thicker pieces of fused art... and pot melts and raked glass....

Old 2007-03-15, 5:42am

This service is just sooo cool. Both from Defusco and UPS!!

My new toy will be coming through the gate at any minute now...

Package Progress

Location Date Local Time Description

SPOKANE,
WA, US 03/15/2007 2:12 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
03/15/2007 12:06 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
GRANGEVILLE,
ID, US 03/14/2007 7:30 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/14/2007 6:53 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
BOISE,
ID, US 03/14/2007 1:50 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/14/2007 12:48 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
SALT LAKE CITY,
UT, US 03/14/2007 3:52 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/14/2007 2:45 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
LAS VEGAS,
NV, US 03/13/2007 5:04 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/13/2007 4:21 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
PHOENIX,
AZ, US 03/13/2007 5:47 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
PHOENIX,
AZ, US 03/12/2007 11:59 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
TEMPE,
AZ, US 03/12/2007 9:57 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
03/12/2007 7:56 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
US 03/12/2007 7:23 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Tracking results provided by UPS: 03/15/2007 8:29 A.M. EST (USA)

Old 2007-03-15, 6:07am

I'm using it to cut up rods..WhenI get it. Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-15, 7:41am

I am wondering what kind of blades you guys and gals are using to cut glass or whatever else you are cutting. Kalera mentioned above that she got the MK 225 Diamond blade and she is very happy with it. What are you cutting Kalera? Does this blade cut glass? (sorry if that sounds like a stupid question - I deal with construction normally) Just tryin' to learn something

J

p.s. The MK 225 is a popular blade. It is .057 thick blade. Our comparable Diamante Italia blade is a little thicker (0. with a higher segment. The blade is a little more expensive but it's life is significantly longer because of the thickness and segment length. http://www.defusco.com/p1787/722-POR...duct_info.html (end commercial)
Old 2007-03-15, 7:47am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Kalera said she was cutting dichro slabs, which are glass. With those, thinner is definitely better.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-15, 7:54am

So the thinner the diamond blade the better?

The difference in the 370 tile saw ( http://www.defusco.com/p2036/MK-370-...duct_info.html ) and the 470 tile saw (http://www.defusco.com/p161/MK-470-7...duct_info.html) is very little. They are virtually the same saw. They have the same motor, same rip size for tile, and same frame. It's basically a marketing scheme with the numbers that Home Depot came up with when they did a deal with MK Diamond.

If you look at the 470 package we have though, it comes with 2 of the MK225 Blades that Kalera said she liked so much for her work. Comes with the guides too.
Old 2007-03-15, 7:55am

Glass people need the thinnest blade possible yet has to be strong enough not to bend. We don't want to take away a lot of glass. It could affect the design outcome in our projects....

Kalera knows her glass and if the MK 225 Diamond Blade works for her, I am sure something of equal quality would suffice... Lots of diamond grit is best so as not to chip the glass as much.....

That is my input. I am sure others have ideas of their own....