Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-07-21, 1:12am
Hopeless glass addict!

Angry Going Nutz trying to Photo This Bead!!!! Help!!!

This mushroom bead has a cap that is Pumpkin Dark-Dark (CIM) and a stem that is Vetro Honey Crunch Odd. If I get the stem the right color, the cap is wayyyyy dark (first photo.) If I get the cap the right color, the stem is almost completely washed out (second photo.)

I've tried spot metering the stem...then the cap...it doesn't help. Would it work better on a white background? I'd try it, but right now the temptation to throw my camera is so great, I don't dare touch it...or this darned bead! Each time I've taken a custom white balance. My camera is a Fuji FinePix E900. I'm using Manual settings. This is probably an easy thing to do, but I'm such a moron when it comes to photography. I will gladly try any and all suggestions you might toss my way! I would be so grateful for any help at all....please...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~Mendy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Happiness is roasting glass with your best friend!

Old 2008-07-21, 1:25am
Entropy increasing....

How's this?

Old 2008-07-21, 7:36am

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

Dayum Kevan .. I need to send you all my pink beads .

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2008-07-21, 8:59am
Dead man walking

Here is my crack at it:

Lightened the cap a bit:

Last edited by jjglass; 2008-07-21 at 9:20am.
Old 2008-07-21, 10:37am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkys View Post
Dayum Kevan .. I need to send you all my pink beads .
Heck. You know what I have found with photo graphing colors that are hard to get the color right? Put a bead in the photo off to the side where you can crop it out later that is the opposite color. That often helps.

I have the hardest time photographing some of the lavender colors. I stick an orange bead off to the side or a green one and it works sometimes. Sometimes not.
Old 2008-07-21, 5:38pm

[quote=Kevan;1969388] You know what I have found with photo graphing colors that are hard to get the color right? Put a bead in the photo off to the side where you can crop it out later that is the opposite color. That often helps.
QUOTE]

I used to do the same thing with a red bead off to the side. MAde the blues and purples spot on.
Old 2008-07-21, 5:48pm
da General

I think Kevan has already solved your problem!

Just one thought - your cap is slightly out of focus . . . does your camera have an Aperture Priority setting that allows you to set your aperture to 11 or 16? That will get your entire mushroom in focus.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-07-21, 6:14pm

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

Thanks for the advice Kevan , I will try it tomorrow when im fighting my camera .

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2008-07-21, 11:02pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

I thought I would mention that each of us is going to view this photo only according to the settings on our own monitors (most likely NOT calibrated)...

Unless you have a calibrated monitor or a NEC monitor its still going to be "off"...

I LOVE my NEC!

http://www.necdisplay.com

site is not yet available

Old 2008-07-22, 1:30am
Hopeless glass addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
How's this?

WOW! HOW did you do that, Kevan?!!!

I will try the bead off to the side trick, for sure! That's awesome! I never would've thought of that!

~Mendy

Old 2008-07-22, 1:39am
Hopeless glass addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I think Kevan has already solved your problem!

Just one thought - your cap is slightly out of focus . . . does your camera have an Aperture Priority setting that allows you to set your aperture to 11 or 16? That will get your entire mushroom in focus.
Yeah! That's another thing that went wrong the other night. My camera will let me set Aperture Priority to 8. So that's where I leave it (a tip I learned from Kevan in another post.) Usually it works fine. I even looked to make certain my lens was clean and it's pristeen! Man! Maybe the stars were out of alignment that night or something weird! I always set my timer on every shot, too, so I won't get camera shake.

~Mendy

Old 2008-07-22, 1:48am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance View Post
WOW! HOW did you do that, Kevan?!!!

I will try the bead off to the side trick, for sure! That's awesome! I never would've thought of that!
With Photoshop. I set the black level then dodged in the cap to lighten it and then sharpened it. Feel free to use it, it's your photo. lol
Old 2008-07-22, 1:48am
Hopeless glass addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeRoRo View Post
I thought I would mention that each of us is going to view this photo only according to the settings on our own monitors (most likely NOT calibrated)...

Unless you have a calibrated monitor or a NEC monitor its still going to be "off"...

I LOVE my NEC!

http://www.necdisplay.com
Oh...you are soooo right! And lots of people I know keep their monitor a little bit dark so it doesn't hurt their eyes. Sometimes I turn mine darker when I'm having migraine issues, because bright light can be a trigger for my headaches.
I don't even try messing with photos with my monitor darkened, because that would be stupid...even for me.

My pictures look great on the camera, but real dark on my monitor...even when I don't have it darkened. This monitor is so old, anyway! How does the photo look on your good monitor?

~Mendy

Old 2008-07-22, 1:59am
Hopeless glass addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
With Photoshop. I set the black level then dodged in the cap to lighten it and then sharpened it. Feel free to use it, it's your photo. lol
Thanks, Kevan! I might just do that...use the photo I mean. I might even try to approach that dang bead again tomorrow...just in case my camera was temporarily haunted. I need to get my niece over here from Indiana to teach me how to really use the Photoshop LE (Limited Edition) I have. I can't afford the real thing...heck...I stole the version I had from a friend who also hadn't a clue how to use it! The stuff I have learned, I learned here on LE.

~Mendy

Old 2008-07-22, 2:10pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

Quote:
Oh...you are soooo right! And lots of people I know keep their monitor a little bit dark so it doesn't hurt their eyes. Sometimes I turn mine darker when I'm having migraine issues, because bright light can be a trigger for my headaches.
I don't even try messing with photos with my monitor darkened, because that would be stupid...even for me.

My pictures look great on the camera, but real dark on my monitor...even when I don't have it darkened. This monitor is so old, anyway! How does the photo look on your good monitor?

Hi Raindance ~

It does not look too bad on my end... you might google the "Adobe Gamma Loader" which will give some help for your moniter in general calibration... this is not a "professional" calibrater - but will help. Be sure to match your work space to your moniter if possible...RGB or srgb in your Adobe program. I work srgb for things I post on the web...

I know the cost for a NEC is not cheap, but it has paid for itself in the long run and I am glad to have it...

I will play with your photo a bit later.

Old 2008-07-23, 1:18am
Hopeless glass addict!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeRoRo View Post
Hi Raindance ~

It does not look too bad on my end... you might google the "Adobe Gamma Loader" which will give some help for your moniter in general calibration... this is not a "professional" calibrater - but will help. Be sure to match your work space to your moniter if possible...RGB or srgb in your Adobe program. I work srgb for things I post on the web...

I know the cost for a NEC is not cheap, but it has paid for itself in the long run and I am glad to have it...

I will play with your photo a bit later.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info on the Adobe Gamma Loader! My monitor worries have been giving me fits, too!

Also, I'm familiar with NEC monitors, since I used to work in a computer repair and sales place. But since I wasn't a salesperson or a tech, I had no idea that they worked so well for photos. I'll really keep that in mind when I replace this old dinosaur!

~Mendy

Old 2008-07-25, 8:55pm
FireSculptedCouture.com

Quote:
Also, I'm familiar with NEC monitors, since I used to work in a computer repair and sales place. But since I wasn't a salesperson or a tech, I had no idea that they worked so well for photos. I'll really keep that in mind when I replace this old dinosaur!
There is a NEC out of the box that you can set to your Adobe Photoshop workspace -- sRGB (that's what I use.)

I think it was around $600 - and Best Buy has them... might check there.

Rachelle

Old 2008-07-27, 3:04pm
Hopeless glass addict!

Talking Wooo-hoooo! I did it!

Thanks to everyone who came to my rescue! Kevan! I did the photo trick with the contrasting bead, then when I darkened the stem it didn't gray-out like it did before! See!?

Kevan...If I ever meet you...run...because I'm gonna give you a big bear hug! LOL!

Thanks again everyone! And Rachelle, I'll take a look at that NEC next time I go to Best Buy! The nearest one is in Springfield, which is 35 miles away...I'm waiting for gas to drop a little more and until I have more items to shop for before I go.

~Mendy

Old 2008-07-29, 7:43am
RaymondMillbrae

Mendy,

watch THIS tutorial!!

It's a tad on the long side, but make sure to watch it through. (Especially the PhotoShop stuff near the end)!!

Enjoy.

In Christ: Raymond