Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-28, 7:37pm
tweetysweetie

Ok, I played with the murrini slicer this afternoon. I cut boro & soft glass murinni sticks that I had. Cut them 1/8 & 1/4" thick. The rotary blades (like the hand wheel nipper) are in a fixed position and will only cut what you can lay between the blades...I went with 8mm with no problem. You have to hold the rod tightly on the horizontal bar and "eye" measure for the thickness. The closest I could get the adjustment post was about 1/2" from the blades, and I wanted thinner of course. If you take off the stopper post, you can cut any length of murinni that you'd like as long as it's diameter is under 8mm I say. When it cuts, it cuts clean/shiny...which I was looking for.

A word of caution here, keep your fingers well away from the blades, when you hit the button to activate the cut? its' quick and merciless...course if your too lazy to file your long nails? this would be right up your alley! (just kidding, do not try this, those blades are sharp)

I'd just hate that somebody would buy this on just what I'm reporting, I like it and it will suit my needs of what I'm looking for....anything other, like production & such...not so sure. Plus I'd suggest using a not so good murrini to practice on at first, as it does have a slight learning curve, holding the murrini stick firm & straight especially. Holding at an angle will jam the wheels. Adjust the "horizontal" bar that you rest the murrini on, just slightly as to where the murrini is not in the middle of the wheels, but a little below the middle..catching the glass just a little up or down from the middle (like you do when you use hand nippers/cutters) I get just as good of cuts from my wheel nippers, the advantage of this machine is it would save alot of wear/tear on your hands, especially if you plan on cutting lots of murrini...For the price, $80 something..you can't get too hurt in the pocket book. If your expecting this thing to work as the "big boy" high priced machines do...look elsewhere...this is for working on small scale.

Leah, yes...staying warm up here, only got about 6" snow on ground so far, but its' early in our winter onslaught just yet. I called my other machine a mini cut off as I couldn't think of what it was advertised as...I think mini rotary murrini saw or something of that nature..has a water resovior (sp) to keep the diamond blade cool...the blade is like only
2" across and saws murrini like you wouldn't believe...I just don't like that frosty saw mark appearance on the murrini chips when I'm done. I even cut tubing with it...love it...

Well, hope this was helpful for you Dom....but think its' probably not what your looking for unless you plan on working on the small side of things....anyone that still is thinking about buying this ask Delphi to please take the plastic guard shield off before shipping...mine wasn't and it came broken off. Below is the information/picture for this.
http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...emsysid=191497

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-12-29, 1:12am

Hio

thanks for your report.

do you have optional foot switch ?
does ot work at 110V?
if you keep pushed the button can you get repetitive cutting?
what is maximum diameter of a rod can be cutted?

thanks for information
domenico

"secret of success?...passion & experience"

Old 2008-12-29, 9:45am
tweetysweetie

Hi Domencio,
Yes it has option for a foot switch...not sure about the 110V properties, I'll ask husband what it is, it has 3prong plug but so does everything else I have, and not all of it is 220.
The button push activates one cut at a time, no continuous feed.
I cut a boro murrini that was about 8mm in diameter as that is the largest I could get between the rotary blades.
Did you click on that link and see the picture/info I posted?

Old 2008-12-29, 10:21am
StudioMarcy

Thanks Catharine for giving us the details.
Lea, did you post a link to your saw? This all is very interesting and I'm wondering if this is one more thing I need. (and where am I ever going to get enough space for all my "stuff"?
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2008-12-29, 11:13am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post
Hi Catherine!

No, not the mini-cutoff saw (I use that for metal tubing).

The glass diamond blade saw -- it's specially made for cutting glass. You literally slice the murrini wafer thin with it and nothing needs to be fire-polished, it's a wonderful thing! I've had it probably 3 years now and use it almost every day!

Are you staying warm up there in the northernmost coldlands?

Best,
Lea
Hi Lea! How much do you estimate the diamond blade (circular type I imagine
is what you are using) take off of the glass? Meaning, how much glass is lost?

A band saw blade may be a less loss option, Domenico. Gryphon makes them. Here is a link: http://www.yglass.com/ge08.html If you goggle "Gryphon saw" you get all sorts of vendor links.... They make two width blades, as I last recall. The wider blade is best for really thick cutting in a straight line as you would need for your tronconi, Domenico.

Ofilia

Old 2008-12-29, 3:52pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Ofilia, no loss at all! Back when I was lopping off slices with nippers, I'd get them crooked, or chipped, or uneven.

With the saw, I literally saw them wafer-thin, perfectly symmetrical & even, no chipping -- why I've never even lost a thumb!!!!!!!!!!!

Swear by it,
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-12-29, 3:57pm
StudioMarcy

I found diamond tech's website, but not sure which products are needed?
http://www.diamondtech.com/lapidary_products.html

Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2008-12-29, 5:32pm

I found the same stuff Marcy. I think the circular blades might work but on what piece of machinery? I can't find anything. Leah can you point us in the right direction?

Kari
Old 2008-12-29, 5:48pm

Smile

I think too, Lea we need to "see" what your saw is like !

That was a great report, Fired Desires, and about what I suspected that it would only take the diametre that the hand held wheeled nippers would. Would not be a tronconi cutter choice. I hope you get your shield replaced by Delta!! Shame on them for not packing it smartly. Or they certainly owe you a partial refund.

Domenico, if you every buy such a machine, you'd just need an electric adaptor. Talk to Roberto Dona next time you go. He has another gadget that is just a manual 'whack it' kind of think.... I'll look up what he called it as it's in my mail at home.

Ciao tutti (Later everyone!)!

Ofilia

Old 2008-12-29, 6:51pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Delphi is the "official" supplier of DiamondTech products. I ck'd my new Winter 2009 catalog and my handy dandy saw is on sale on page 29, the red one "Diamond Laser Speedster XL", comes with two blades. I've had mine, hmm probably 4 yrs now, and just put the replacement blade on recently.

My flat lap grinder is also on sale, page 32, again the red one "Diamond Max"!

Ofilia, next time I drive the m/h up there, I'll pack both pieces of equipment & we can play all day cutting up little bitty slices of glass! How's that?

HTH,
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-12-29, 8:09pm
Mr. Cellophane

Dang LEA!!! here you are in THIS thread making everyone soooo jealous.

Ok that's it, someone knock her down and grab it!!!!

Libby

Old 2008-12-29, 8:14pm
Mr. Cellophane

Is this it?

http://www.yglass.com/812.html

Libby

Old 2008-12-30, 3:46am
Happy Beadmaker!

Libby: That is it!!!!!!!!!!!! Or very similar, considering mine is about four years old now. THIS IS A VERY GOOD PRICE TOO!!!! Has a little light that shines on the blade itself so you always see where you're going. Variable speed on the cutting blade. Easily adjustable cutting bed. Hmmm, what else? It's red!!!!!!!!!!!! (My favorite!) If you work with murrini a lot, this is the best tool ever!

I guess you didn't see, Miss Libby, that I volunteered over on the other thread, that you can send yours to me, I'll slice it all up, and hand-deliver it to MGE!!!

Best,
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-12-30, 4:39am
StudioMarcy

This photo of the tagliacanne is from Ofilia who said that Roberto Donna sent it to her. She will add more info today sometime.

Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2008-12-30, 5:52am

Smile

Grazie mille, Marcy! You are always a total sweetie !

Yes, this image is another older, cruder tool for chopping cane. (Coffee not included and very "manual", as you can see) I don't think that the tronconi would work on it, the more I look at it. At least not for chopping in a precise fashion.

That bandsaw that Lea posted is like the Gryphon I mentioned. They take away the LEAST amount of glass possible then a radial blade or ring saw would.

Lea, I'm ALL INTO you coming over to play, or me coming over next time you are in our neck of the tundra , LOL!!! That would be so fun! Sure I can't lure you to our "windier" city at these winter times... you call the date, and I'll be ready with bells on and glass ready to cut and polish !

Ofilia

Last edited by Ofilia; 2008-12-30 at 5:54am.
Old 2008-12-30, 8:22am
Mr. Cellophane

Quote:
I guess you didn't see, Miss Libby, that I volunteered over on the other thread, that you can send yours to me, I'll slice it all up, and hand-deliver it to MGE!!!

Best,
Lea
Oh wouldn't we have a blast!!! Maybe next year you will sign up and come?!?!
I know there are a lot of the "Thinkers" who would love to meet you!

I work with murinnis a lot and am teaching a cane class at the MGE so I am really wondering if I should buy one of these little wonders. I bet we would get a lot of use out of it at work. Maybe I can convince my bosses to get one!

Libby

Old 2008-12-30, 10:01am
tweetysweetie

I found a paper underneath cardboard of the box this murinni chopper came in....says not for use on rods over 1/4" thick....there is the definitive answer on the size issue.
Leah, I might just send you a piece of murrini stick for cutting, so I can see the finish it leaves on the chips, and good grief another possible piece of equipment for the studio. lol

Old 2008-12-30, 11:41am

Lea,
What is the thickest cane that can be used with the saw? The video at delphi says to set the guide 1/4inch above the table top. Have you cut thicker canes? I don't think I can cut a 1 inch murrine with it....do you know?
thanks for the info,
Darlene

Old 2008-12-30, 5:26pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Darlene: I slice way thicker diameters than 1/4" so I'm not sure what that directive means. But, yes, you definitely can slice a diameter larger than 1/4".

Catherine: Or even easier, I can send you a slice of mine so you can see finish. But you definitely don't need to fire-polish your slices, unless you're selling a collection of the slices themselves. I fire-polish mine in the application and I rarely encase them.

Libby: We'd definitely have a blast, I'd love to come sometime! Problem is February? St. Louis? Motorhome? Sounds ominously still winter to me! We'll have to work out some kind of a workshop up there sometime, if you'd like. And, yes, talk to your boss(es) up there, seriously it is a great investment, knock-on-wood I've never had a moment's problem with mine.

Ofilia: Same as Libby's above, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm definitely a sissy when it comes to tundra weather. But, seriously, next time I'm up there we'll schedule a day to do some mosaic work. I keep meaning to dig out the silver grout I got awhile back so see if it's something we could use!

Marcy: Definitely buy it. Libby's price is wonderful. And although it takes some space, it's not a huge space. Hmmmm, taller than a toaster oven but about the same footprint.

This is a fun thread, all of us murrine-lovers in one place, ahhhhhh!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-12-31, 7:13am

Smile

Quote:
This is a fun thread, all of us murrine-lovers in one place, ahhhhhh!
Lea
Hey...... for all ye mosaic and murrine makers...... a little bird mentioned to me we may have a cool mini workshop related to this subject at this coming Gathering ! BE THERE OR BE SQUARE!

Domenico, you promised you would finally come to an ISGB Gathering when it went to Miami. Here's a chance for you to meet all these great folks!

Ciao tutti!

Ofilia

Old 2008-12-31, 7:42am
StudioMarcy

Yes, everyone come. I'll be teaching a pre-Gathering class on sculpture there too.
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2008-12-31, 8:25am
Uh-oh means it's too late

This is too cool I was reading another thread on applying murrinis and now I think I am going to have to make my own!!! And get that saw to cut them hhehehe you all could get me in trouble. DH and I are planning a trip to Italy next year- Hope the economy shapes up!!!!

Old 2008-12-31, 8:29am
Uh-oh means it's too late

can anyone here recommend a good book or video on murrini? I have always wanted to do this but need to be steered in the right direction!!!

Old 2008-12-31, 10:23am
Happy Beadmaker!

I hope EVERYONE (Ofilia that definitely includes you!) will dig out all their Mosaic/Murrine favorites so we can compile a nice library of such publications!

I'll start with the very best book as far as history/research, etc. You can look at it for hours, put it back on the shelf, and pull it out again, only to be re-amazed at the glory of murrine. The book is Glass Masterpieces - Mosaic Glass 1838-1924 by Giovanni Sarpellon. It is out-of-print, but not impossible to find. I think I found mine through Amazon.com. Simply the best.

Google Dina Hulet, Mario & Antonio Dei Rossi, Loren Stump. There is an amazing contemporary murrine maker by the name of Chris _______ (help me out, guys), who is simply amazingly amazing. I think his website may be glasskitchen.com????

Welcome to the addiction! (Definitely buy the saw.)

~
~
~
Old 2008-12-31, 11:10am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
can anyone here recommend a good book or video on murrini? I have always wanted to do this but need to be steered in the right direction!!!
Man, when it comes to learning murrine making, Loren is by far you stand out master! He is an AMAZING instructor!
I don't know of any video's out there on the technique. I'd definately search the search area for 'technique' on pattern murrine for anything there. Even the most simplest of patterns will teach you on handling the glass and your pull.

I'll check my shelves at home for what books I have on micro mosaic and anything to add to what Lea just listed as good reference material.

Ciao everyone! Buon anno nuovo !

Ofilia

Old 2008-12-31, 1:06pm

Chris and Lissa Juedemann of Glass Kitchen have a video clip of them making a murrini. The technique is completely different than Loren's. The "Cam" link on their website is where you'll find it.
As Lea posted earlier the book of Glass Masterpieces - Mosaic Glass 1838-1924 by Giovanni Sarpellon is wonderful and I look at it often as a reference. I purchased it used from Amazon about 2 years ago. (English version) It is expensive but worth every penny!!
Darlene

Old 2008-12-31, 1:07pm

Hello friends,

I want recapitulate a lot.

Murrine millefiori come from Tronconi that are the ends of rod pulled from the kiln.
Effetre sell either furnace tronconi,either murrine rods all diameters either cutted Murrine and Troconi slices.

The simply way is to buy cutted items:

me i would like:

1)to have tool to cut tronconi slices from tronconi; tought i have either DTI XL speedster,taurus 2,taurus 3 megablade i think best tool durable over time is a circular "disk" saw..i dont know how you call becasue either ring saw,laser saw or band saw can deteriorate own blade sooner

2)to cut small murrine from 2/3 mm diamters rods until 10/12mm rods) you can cut manually with pliers (Mosaic cutter,Zag Zag,Tile Nipper) but it is a good thing to have an automatic tool like Delpy sells or similar buid ownself

having these tools you can save money buying murrine rods and whole tronconi than cutted pieces...of course you can invest money on tools...

Me personally love to have useful tool!!! and sometimes..inventing!!!

Besides you can cut pieces how you prefer.

I would like to read your impression about

ciao
AUGURI

Old 2008-12-31, 1:26pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Something like this may work. Don't think blade is terribly good being its for tile (lot of waste) but with better blade, it might do the trick...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3733

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-12-31, 1:36pm

thanks dale
it is a kind of what i asked for....
especially i referring to that toold that come versus glass while glass is stop...
do you understand me?

grazie

Old 2008-12-31, 1:43pm

Ciao Domenico, I have taken a couple of classes with Loren, just for murrini this last time. The murrini chopper you are thinking of will not work for my application. The murrini I am attempting to make is too big. So, I use a grinder/saw that I bought from Arrow Springs. This one is good because it has a lot of different functions.
http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/saws_faceting.html