Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-12-16, 3:15pm

Default Trautman boro- encasing issues?

Experts- My trautman blue blizzard, red blizzard and Blue stardust arrived today. Anyone know if they do not mind being encased? I wanna try a vortex marble but not if it's going to go supernova and explode on me! Well, not super nova but will it crack?

Thanks in advance.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-12-16, 3:54pm
funny mofo

I don't remember the Blizzards cracking. The TAG website says that blue stardust can be imploded but don't garage for a long time: http://www.taglass.com/more033.html.
Old 2009-12-16, 3:58pm

Thank you! And I bookmarked the trautman page.

Sue
Old 2009-12-16, 5:45pm
ManBearPig

There were some pics over at the Melting Pot that someone made with the Blizzard colors deep down in marbles. They worked fine from what I remember.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-12-16, 5:59pm

I am more than a tad psyched about the vortex I made tonight. I am so hopeful that this is going to be pretty. Stay tuned for tomorrow...

What is the site address for The Melting Pot?

Sue
Old 2009-12-16, 6:01pm

What a dork! Me! Looked for TheMeltingPot and wound up with the restaurant!

Web address, please and thanks from this computer dinosaur!

Sue
Old 2009-12-16, 6:29pm
Bliss Junkie

TheMeltingPot

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2009-12-16, 8:19pm

stardust can be deeply encased. It is not a strong color. I've used it to encase rods of a darker color that I pull and use in implosions. It adds a nice sparkle.
It also is nice over white as a surface color. Couldn't find a picture of an implosion but here it is over white ( it is also what I used for the fish in my avatar)
Attached Images

Old 2009-12-16, 8:40pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
What a dork! Me! Looked for TheMeltingPot and wound up with the restaurant!

Sue
awesome restaurant, btw. had our anniversary dinner there one year

|
|
Old 2009-12-16, 9:35pm

I've imploded blue and wisteria blizzard. and stardust in marbles with no problems. You'll enjoy.
Old 2009-12-18, 1:48pm

Yes - implode those colors all you like! One reason Paul started to make those Blizzard colors in the first place was that the white flecks could give a similar effect as an aventurine sparkle, but without any of the long garaging issues that cause cracking in the glitter colors.

And the transparent base color of the Blue Stardust works in it's favor for implosions. We have had NO reports of problems with that color. FWIW, tho, our Heavy Blue Leprechaun is much denser, and we have had lots of success with imploding that color too -- but again, with no long garaging, and careful short annealing cycles.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-12-19, 10:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Yes - implode those colors all you like! One reason Paul started to make those Blizzard colors in the first place was that the white flecks could give a similar effect as an aventurine sparkle, but without any of the long garaging issues that cause cracking in the glitter colors.

And the transparent base color of the Blue Stardust works in it's favor for implosions. We have had NO reports of problems with that color. FWIW, tho, our Heavy Blue Leprechaun is much denser, and we have had lots of success with imploding that color too -- but again, with no long garaging, and careful short annealing cycles.
When you say long garaging or short annealing cycles, how many hours are you referring to. I have heard these same terms used by others and I am never really clear on what they mean.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-12-21, 2:38pm

That's because it is a complex relationship between the size of your piece, the complexity of the piece, how hot you like to garage, etc. One size does not fit all.

I can tell you that the only marble I have seen in person that cracked, using the TAG Heavy Blue Leprechaun, was at least 4 - 5 inches diameter, and the guy had garaged it for 2 - 4 hours.

I edited this to correct the time, I went back to the source to ask again because I wasn't absolute on the time. This was less time than I remembered, but as I recall he ran it really hot.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid

Last edited by Firebrand Beads; 2009-12-23 at 3:26pm. Reason: CORRECT THE TIME
Old 2009-12-21, 5:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
That's because it is a complex relationship between the size of your piece, the complexity of the piece, how hot you like to garage, etc. One size does not fit all.

I can tell you that the only marble I have seen in person that cracked, using the TAG Heavy Blue Leprechaun, was at least 4 - 5 inches diameter, and the guy had garaged it for well over 12 hours. Maybe more like 20 hours? That is ridiculously long for an aventurine color!

Thanks for the feedback. I am mainly interested in beads, pendants, and marbles. The marbles max out at 3", and most of the time are closer to 2.5".

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2009-12-21, 5:54pm
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
awesome restaurant, btw. had our anniversary dinner there one year
ditto We got engaged there.