No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-31, 7:52pm

Default Using Natural Gas for a torch

xx

Last edited by nancewbl; 2014-08-25 at 7:32pm.
Old 2007-10-31, 8:22pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Basically if torch you select will operate on low pressure natural gas or propane (1/2 PSI) , yes you can use natural gas connection piped into patio area.

Some torches may be Nortel Minor, GTT Bobcat, National 8M with SM7 tip and several others...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-11-01, 2:48pm
Corgi Cult Member

The Betta is also designed to run on household pressure. The Mini CC would also work.

Old 2007-11-01, 3:27pm

I work on Natural Gas and a Bethleham Betta. The Nortel torches will also run on Natural Gas too and the minor would do well on one oxycon.
I am getting a midrange with minor too so we'll see how that works. But I'll have 2 oxycons attached.
My gas pressure is at an 8 from what I was told and I think it's 1/3 psi....
The nortel minors can run on 7's.
So there's my input. Good luck. It is very nice not to have to buy gas or oxygen..That's the big plus in all of this....I just sit down and torch whenever I want to!
Irene

Old 2007-11-01, 6:46pm

I am a newb and have just set up a mini cc with nat gas and an oxy-con and love it.
The folks at Carlisle were very helpfull. The have the fire check for the natural gas line and all the bits to connect everything.

Have fun,
Alison
Old 2007-11-02, 4:14pm
Butterfly Rancher

I have a MiniCC on NG and just upgraded from a 5LPM concentrator to a 10LPM. It makes a huge difference and highly recommend the extra O2. However, I find that the MiniCC is very difficult to adjust to either a neutral or oxy flame even with the upgraded O2. I'm beginning to think that the Oxycon/NG combination may be better with a different torch -- I'm considering replacing with a Bobcat or Betta (designed to run in low pressure environments -- but expensive). I haven't looked too closely at the new Nortel torch... the MegaMinor (I think it's called) but I'm under the impression that the Minor is better in a low power situation than the MiniCC. And with household NG, your fuel will probably be around 1/4 PSI which is a lot lower than if you were to use propane.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2007-11-02, 9:10pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Before you make any decisions, you'll need to find out what the gas pressure is coming into your house. You may find, like I did, that you don't even have enough pressure to run a Betta without a booster.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2007-11-03, 5:41am

I run my mini cc on natural gas and two oxycons now. For the first six months I had only one. It was a good way to learn because with only one I couldn't work as hot so things stayed more controlled. Now that I have two, life is great.

I've used a minor, bobcat, and lynx in class, and I still love my mini.

Call around to plumbers and have them check your pressure. If it's high enough, have them hook you up!
Old 2007-11-03, 7:25am
Butterfly Rancher

Plumbers in my area don't work with NG. I started with plumbers and got some really weird responses! I looked under either "gas" or "propane" and even then, there was only one company that worked with NG. All were very skeptical about hooking up a torch and since you're in a condo, there may be even more resistance -- so just be prepared. I'm working with a 1/4 PSI which is a common household pressure.

I also had the "B" fitting in hand http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249805. I printed out a picture and took it around to various places but ended up at a welding shop -- the fitting was $1.

Kimberly at Pyronamix http://www.pyronamix.com/ who is married to one of the GTT guys (Bobcat torch) has some test results about oxygen consumption of the Bobcat, Minor and MiniCC. And I believe that those tests may have also included some info about fuel consumption. You might want to contact her for those results since I can't locate any threads with them at the moment. BTW Kimberly is great to chat with and very knowledgeable about torches and oxycons. I ordered my Regalia from her and had fabulous customer service.

I know it's tough to decide on a torch but in the entry level class of torch (Minor, MiniCC & Bobcat), I think it's like comparing Honda and Toyota -- they're all going to be pretty similar. I learned on a Minor and bought the MiniCC because I found a great sale and it was cheaper than the Minor.

BTW I bought after Thanksgiving in 2005 and there were great sales all over the place for Christmas. Speaking of sales, Frantz Art Glass (find his newsletter up in the Vendor area) is discontinuing the Betta and has the best price I've seen at the moment.

Anyway, I agonized for months about which torch, etc. and all the fretting was really for naught -- I would've loved any of them since I was so mesmerized with the magic of melting glass.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado