Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-24, 5:36pm
Frit frit and more frit!

Default Anyone got this press?

http://www.oxoria.net/product.aspx?prod_id=CTLPR00004

Has anyone got this press? Is so, what do you think of it? Thanks in advance, I just wanted some opinions before I get out the plastic!
Old 2006-11-25, 5:41am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Never heard of those folks, myself. They sure are pricey presses though! $90 bucks? There are other heart presses out for about $40 less than that. Zoozies, Mike's Brass for Glass, I dunno if Cattwalk has a heart press or not but I wouldn't be surprised.

Lil
Old 2006-11-25, 6:14am

The $89 price tag is in Canadian $ which makes it about $77.50 US $ depending on the exchange at the given second that you buy it. It does include shipping too which makes it comparable to Zozzii's prices.

Pretty sure Catt doesn't do hearts!

I haven't used Cindy's presses but I do know people that have and like them!

Lynne
www.fireballbeeds.com
Old 2006-11-25, 6:14am
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Just looked and the prices are in Canadian Dollars. That should make it a little cheaper than us dollar.

Katja
Old 2006-11-25, 6:15am
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Wow!!!!
2 at the same time
lol
Katja
Old 2006-11-25, 6:20am
Embracing My Wonkiness

Ah! Ok...didn't see that. Sorry about that! Thanks guys!

Lil
Old 2006-11-25, 7:05am
make beads not war

It's kinda of neat the hearts can be made vertical and horizontal on the mandrel.
Old 2006-11-25, 9:09am
tweetysweetie

That would be a great selling point for me too......I don't always want a horizontal heart! With this one....you can do either...I'd be anxious to hear from someone who has tried this press out...please post if you buy and work with it...you'll probably really boost their sales with a "easy to use" remark!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-25, 2:19pm
Frit frit and more frit!

Thanks guys. I thought the price was reasonable for the trio and the versatility of the mandrel positions. I was tempted by Mikes press but thought this one had more potential. The wavy hearts look good too.
http://www.oxoria.net/product.aspx?prod_id=CTLPR00005
Old 2006-11-25, 6:08pm

Catt has a Marquis press that one can make a nice heart by using one end of it. It makes two Marquis plus the heart. I could scan the heart for you if you're interested. It's in a book that Lori Greenburg wrote for working with presses called 'Hot Off the Press'.
Old 2006-11-26, 12:12am

I have this press and I hate it! It is very difficult to use.
Carmen
Old 2006-11-26, 7:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
I have this press and I hate it! It is very difficult to use.
Carmen
Which press do you have and hate? One of the heart presses or Catt's Marquis press????

I like the fact that Cindy's press makes a voluptous heart, Mike's press makes them look kind of flat and lifeless...

But I make my own hearts without presses, so have never used anyof them!

Lynne
www.fireballbeeds.com
Old 2006-11-27, 9:04am
Frit frit and more frit!

I'm heart challenged! I can do sculptural stuff pretty well but for some reason hearts defeat me. I am not a very symetrical person and struggle with anything that is, hearts, bicones etc - I guess I'm just wonky!

Carmen, which press do you mean? And why exactly do you dislike it? Thanks
SAM xx
Old 2006-11-28, 7:15am
JulieV

I have 2 of the 'Cindy' presses. [the triangles, the wavy heart with the lentil on it's way to me] Although I am still a little 'press challenged', I think they are fantastic! The wavy heart is the most difficult one to use, but I'm sure any experienced lampworker would not take long to learn it. It makes the most beautiful beads! And I've had so much fun with the triangle shape!

Old 2006-11-28, 8:32am

Let me help you out with the presses...the hearts are the hardest presses to use(the wavy being the most difficult to use)...I personally find that any press where you can't put the glass on the mandrel uniformly is more challenging (I am press addicted and have many that are not mine as well).

I know when I asked a lady before I made the heart press how she made hers so perfect...she informed me it was a press, but that it wasn't easy to use...a lot of 'fiddling'. I would say the same is true about mine.

I personally think that if you like freeform hearts and are good with them you will not like the press (I don't find it quicker). For me I am 'anal' and like everything to be 'matchy matchy' in the set...so they are all uniform...that is what the heart presses are good for(in my opinion).

They only real feedback is that they find the mandrel hole too small (I use a thin bead release, and have no problem)...so that can easily be altered if you need it bigger. I tried to keep it small as possible and functional as I didn't want to take away from the smallest heart.

I have attached some pics that show the results of the hearts. I am considering making the same press without the smaller heart so that it can use a 3/32 mandrel...would this be benificial to anyone?

Pls not that my website needs my some updating...we have just had twins and my husband is the computer guy and he is having a hard time coping with lack of sleep ....men!! If you have any questions just email me and I will be happy to help. Anyone who has bought a press, I have given instructions via email as I haven't gotten them on the site yet.

I am currently looking for my wavy hearts...I can't remember their names (sets I mean) and I haven't made beads for a very long time due to pregnancy. I will post when I can find them.
Attached Images

Last edited by UCBYCINDY; 2006-11-28 at 8:35am.
Old 2006-11-28, 2:15pm
Frit frit and more frit!

Thank you Cindy! The hearts are lovely, really plump and squeezable. I look forward to seeing the wavy ones. I'm heart challenged as I am very unsymetrical no matter how I try otherwise! I've got a Zoozii Lovin but it seems so faffy and I haven't yet managed more than one decent heart and that was a fluke. Yours are nicer though. LOL!
SAM xx
Old 2006-12-01, 9:24am

Hi Sam,

These are the only wavy heart pics I could find...I have one beside me but I won't have time to get Carlos to do the pic for a week or so (I am really computer challenged)...but this is a set of my orphan hearts when I was learning the presses...there are 3 small wavy hearts adn 3 medium etched clear wavy hearts that are at the top and hard to see due to color..they do look really good when they are done.

I also wanted to let everyone one know that if you type in www.uniquecreationsbycindy.ca you will find my site, the above like will be changing...eventually all that will be needed in a week or two will be www.ucbycindy.ca. Just a FYI.

One last note...the wavy hearts are the most difficult to make, but they are well worth if you want a consistant unique heart.
Attached Images

Old 2006-12-01, 1:30pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I love those wavy hearts! Maybe, after Christmas when I have some money to spend. . .