Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2006-02-11, 8:47pm

Default A torso tutorial for the sculpturally challenged

A torso tutorial for the sculpturally challenged
By Heather Ferman

I have been lucky enough to have many teachers in my two years of lampworking. I have learned so many wonderful techniques from each one. I think these beads are a compilation of techniques I learned from about 5 of my past teachers along with many of my own techniques thrown in.

I need to thank Chris Gorman who came over to photograph while I worked on the beads. Without her I could not have gotten accurate pictures to help with this tutorial.

Now for my inspiration. I saw a pear shaped press on CattWalk tools web site and thought….hmmm I am shaped like a pear…..”What if”……..and I had to try it. Thank you Catt for creating the press……it has been so much fun to work with. So here is the what if.
Step 1 Pick any color glass but ivory to start. Ivory is very soft and might be difficult to practice with. Make a half bicone shaped bead. Press in the pear shaped press. You do not even have to worry about over filling the press. I like to have extra glass to work with so I do this on purpose.

Step 2 Add two dots for the behind and a smaller dot for the stomach…..unless you want a more voluptuous women. I specifically remember learning this dotting techniques from Sharon Peters……. You could also create a neck by just adding a donut bead above the pear. Just take out the divit first so you do not trap any air.

Step 3 Now melt from the bottom of the bead to melt in the definition lines from the dots. Then flip the bead over and melt from the top. If you must define the butt crack again from overmelting, just use your magic wand or similar tool.

Step 4 Add a belly button and two creases for the defined area of the hips. I have seen one person add a third little crease. This is up to you…..LOL. At this time you could also move to the base of the pear and add another bicone for legs or a mermaid. But I am only going to cover the torso here….
Now it is time for the breasts. Just put two dots down for the breasts.

Step 5 Next, the bead gets just a little tricky. Start heating the side of the bead. When it is very hot and molten take your tweezers and push up to create an arm pit and a womanly shape. (learned from Lucio) Then heat the other side and try again. If you melt the boobs down in the process just “implant” more, and more, and well she does not have to look like Dolly!

Step 6 Now add shoulders by just adding a little more glass to the under arm area.

Step 7 Heat the overall body up and make sure you have the heat even in the whole bead. It is at this time I put the crease up the back and the nips on.

Step 8 add any finishing touches you want to the bead and then straight into the kiln.

I hope you like it!!!
I use this to move on to mermaid and fairies and larger torso's of women.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-02-11, 9:26pm
Grog make fire!

That was just too cool! Thanks for that tutorial, I can't wait to try it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kae
For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program...
Old 2006-02-11, 9:52pm

Very cool. Great pictures too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-02-13, 9:31am
Where Am I?

Thanks for the tut Heather. You made it look so easy that maybe I will even try it.

Some days you're the dog.
Other days you're the hydrant

phyliss
Old 2006-02-17, 2:07pm
Goddess

Nice tutorial Heather!

Old 2006-02-17, 5:58pm

Default Looks good!

Heather, the tutorial is great!
I'm the one who took the pictures, but they were a challenge to do. Heather has a wonderful new camera (what kind is it?) that made the job so much easier, and then her editing improved upon the actual shots.
It's fun trying to catch the shot at just the right moment in action, and not have the bead out of the flame for too long. A new experience for me, had fun doing it!

Chris (aka JAXGLASS)
Old 2007-11-20, 12:28am
Mad about Glass

Thanks Heather. That's a wonderful tutorial. I don't know why I didn't find it when I searched. Yes I do - I only searched for goddess, not torso.

I will print it and have a go.

Thanks again
Jenn

[url]

Old 2009-07-21, 8:11am

Been doing some of these for the gathering... Thought people might like to see an old, free tutorial.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2009-07-21, 10:34am

Thank you Heather, free is always great! I've never seen a tutorial on a human torso before. I sure appreciate seeing how it is done.

Last edited by Carols Glass; 2009-07-21 at 10:37am.
Old 2009-08-08, 11:09am

Wow Heather, you make it look so easy! Thank you so much for this!

Old 2009-08-10, 6:49am

Wow Heather that's great and thanks so much!!!

Do you smell something burning, or is it just me??
Old 2015-04-06, 11:04pm
Lifelong Student

I just made my first Goddess/Torso bead. I used Heathers tutorial. It was super easy to follow the tutorial and gave pretty good results...considering its my first.
They are the same bead. I had to do some repair on the neck so I decided to etch her.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mina; 2015-04-07 at 11:16am.
Old 2015-04-07, 10:01pm
Phill

Very generous of you Heather.

Thank you.
Old 2019-05-28, 11:56pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Dasi
https://writemyessaytoday.net/

By Heather Ferman

I have been lucky enough to have many teachers in my two years of lampworking. I have learned so many wonderful techniques from each one. I think these beads are a compilation of techniques I learned from about 5 of my past teachers along with many of my own techniques thrown in.

I need to thank Chris Gorman who came over to photograph while I worked on the beads. Without her I could not have gotten accurate pictures to help with this tutorial.

Now for my inspiration. I saw a pear shaped press on CattWalk tools web site and thought….hmmm I am shaped like a pear…..”What if”……..and I had to try it. Thank you Catt for creating the press……it has been so much fun to work with. So here is the what if.
Step 1 Pick any color glass but ivory to start. Ivory is very soft and might be difficult to practice with. Make a half bicone shaped bead. Press in the pear shaped press. You do not even have to worry about over filling the press. I like to have extra glass to work with so I do this on purpose.
Thanks, Heather!
I always had problems with the torso. My first one was abysmal, and I just threw it away. The second one is still lying on the shelf, then I tried again a couple of times and nothing worked (can't make myself continue trying). I do have some progress with roses (and other flowers too). Somehow, roses seem to be easier to make and the form is quite variable.
__
Author: Cabbage Roses Compared To Traditional Roses

Last edited by FrankLucido; 2019-05-28 at 11:59pm. Reason: typos
Old 2021-03-09, 7:14am

Thanks Heather, I’ll be trying this one.