No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-06, 10:13pm
Always learnin' & yearnin

Default Question about Garaging

I have been reading alot lately about certian colors and the term "garaging" keeps comming up. I am a total newbie with all this and not quite following what this means.

Does this have something to do with the cooling process? Annealing process? or is it something totally different?

Any enlightenment on this would be great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-06, 10:40pm
one day at a time

Hi! Glad to help!

Garaging is putting the work from the flame directly into a kiln that is set at the holding temperature, usually 960-968 for soft glass. This is instead of a placing your work in a fiber blanket or vermiculite to cool and then batch annealing later. Many lampworkers batch anneal their work by putting it in a cold kiln and ramping up slowly to annealing temperature, and others prefer to garage theirs.

Some have their holding temp a little cooler than the annealing temp, but that's not necessary. For example, my program for the kiln is that I garage at 940F while I'm working. Then when I'm done making beads I hit "skip step" and then in about 5 minutes the annealing temp ramps up to 968 for 45 minutes. Then it ramps down 300 degrees an hour to 840F and holds there for 30 minutes, and this is the "strain point". That's where the glass molecules stop moving and the glass stabilizes. Then it ramps further down at 300 degrees an hour to 700F and then shuts off. I have a firebrick kiln so they cool over about 7-8 hours after the annealing cycle completes.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-10-06 at 10:45pm.
Old 2010-10-06, 10:45pm
honorary bead lady

Garaging is the tempature that you hold finished beads at until you start the annealing process.

The annealing point of moretti is between 930 and 970 (depending on the source)

Most garage in this range
Old 2010-10-07, 5:01am

I get it now. Thank you both so much for this info! I kept seeing it then they would start talking about the kiln. The way I kept reading it seemed like this was something different you had to do before you placed it in the kiln for annealing. Never once saw that it WAS the first step in the annealing process....lol Thanks again!

I bought the economy glass kiln from The Glasss Hive. Haven't got it yet but soon!

Old 2010-10-07, 8:24am

Hey Steven,
I'm a newbie too, and an addict (to glass). Thanks for asking this question, I was confused myself.
Cathy

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]
Old 2010-10-07, 9:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane View Post
Hey Steven,
I'm a newbie too, and an addict (to glass). Thanks for asking this question, I was confused myself.
Cathy
Welcome aboard! If you have questions ask away the people here are wonderful!!! They will all go out of their way to help!

Old 2010-10-07, 9:21am
honorary bead lady

Cathy Come on into the newbie S&T in the Gallery!
Old 2010-10-07, 9:32am
one day at a time

Welcome Cathy! There is so much to learn here so feel free to ask anything and someone will chime it. Oh, and Steve, the Glasshive kiln is a great choice and you will be very happy! From what I know of them they are built like a tank and the customer service is exceptional. I have a Paragon but my second kiln will be one of Mike's!
Old 2010-10-07, 9:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Welcome Cathy! There is so much to learn here so feel free to ask anything and someone will chime it. Oh, and Steve, the Glasshive kiln is a great choice and you will be very happy! From what I know of them they are built like a tank and the customer service is exceptional. I have a Paragon but my second kiln will be one of Mike's!
So far so good on the customer service! now probs and very helpful, with lightening fast replys to questions!

Old 2010-10-08, 8:04am

Hi and Thank You for all of your warm welcoming. Everyday I come to LE to school myself with all of your vast knowledge. Thanks and Hugs.

"All true artists, whether they know it or not, create from a place of no-mind, from inner stillness."
Eckhart Tolle

Cathy[/font]