No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-01, 1:21pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Default Help me find my sweet spot :)

I'm on a Mini CC and I can not find my sweet spot to save my life. Do I need to have a large flame? How close in or far out should I be looking? I've broken so many stringers trying to get this to work and I'm afraid I'll never be able to do decent stringer work without it. Please help!!!
Old 2006-12-01, 6:06pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Anyone? I really need help with stringer control...
Old 2006-12-01, 7:55pm
Give to receive...simple.

Hey someone, speak up she needs help...Laurie I wish I could help you , but I am as bad at stringer control... I hope this bumps it up for you!

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-02, 12:57am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Try turning down your flame to the size of a lighterflame, just a tiny pinpoint flame, that way you will have more controll of your heat and you can graduatly build up your flame as your skills improve. I had the same problem with all my torches at first but now I can apply stringer without adjusting the flame on my baracuda. ALso , try working with the same color of stringer as your basebead at first, prevents spoiling lots of glass, just melt the whole thing down again if you don't like it and then start all over again.

Also, if you are right handed, work on the right side of the flame, not underneath but beside the flame( not touching the flame, you want to use the radianceheat from the flame). For left handed people, work on the left hand side of the flame. Make sure your basebead is hot enough to radiate some heat onto your stringer, and move the bead instead of the stringer. Moving the stringer will be more difficult to start out with since you'll loose the sweetspot.

Good luck!
Suzanne

Old 2006-12-02, 10:35am
Crazy Snake Lady

Thank you soooooo much Suzanne! I'm going to give these techniques a try later today when it warms up a little.
Old 2006-12-02, 6:00pm
I think I could be a bead

Default I only have a hot head torch

Will those same tips work for me? Just wondering if anyone can help with that stringer control on a Hot Head. I'd appreciate the help, too.

Mallory
Old 2006-12-02, 9:06pm
Gentleman of Leisure

YOU can turn flame down on hot head too.... The IS what knob is for...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2006-12-02, 9:24pm
Entropy increasing....

Oh, I thought she was talking about tennis.
Old 2006-12-03, 12:03am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Rosebud, you can tune the flame just a tad bit but what I found easiest when I first started out on a HH is working far out next to the flame ( about 2 inches away from the torchhead), stick your stringer onto your bead and slowly move forward untill you feel your stringer starts to melt. Remember to work next to the flame, a little more out of the flame then with a minor or other oxy-propane burner since the HH produces a lot of radianceheat, it has a very broad flame.

Suzanne