No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-03, 12:11pm
one day at a time

Default What do you have as back-up??

Okay, I'm a little nervous because my kiln did something unusual last night, but seems to be okay now. I've got a Paragon that has been worked nearly full time for almost 4 years now. It read "898" on the Bartlett controller panel when I came back in for a break. I keep it set at 10 hour work time before it does auto anneal. I wanted to work more than 10 hours yesterday, so I reset it back for a new schedule. It did reset, so I don't know why it started to cool down 15 minutes later. Sheesh....

I've got to start saving for another kiln and I was thinking about the Chili Pepper. Then I got to thinking about a total back-up plan, which I've thought about before but just didn't have the $$ to act on it. I have 4 torches (2 HHs, Mini CC, Bobcat) so I'm covered there. If my Nikon takes a crap, I can get another camera like it for just $150. My old 4300 died after three years, and it was $400 when I got it. I'm getting a used concentrator on a trade with a glass buddy, so there's the 02 in case my $$$ generator gives me trouble. I even have a blower in case the Glasscraft fan quits. My DD has the other computer so I won't miss a beat when it comes to listing auctions.

The reason I'm a little nervous now (okay, a LOT nervous!) is because I'm totally relying on my bead biz to pay the bills. I can't afford any more expenses and/or delays. I just pulled my rental house out of foreclosure, but the re-payment plan is going to be draining the life out of me for the next four months. Good news - I got new renters in there last month! Yay!!

So, do any of you have any extras of these things as back-up in case of some unforeseen studio disaster?? Here's a list of the things that would more than likely cause most people to go into a tizzy if they broke:

1. kiln
2. torches - well, some of us "collect" them anyway!
3. oxygen concentrator/generator
4. o2 tank that's collecting dust in the garage, but there for emergencies
5. vent fan
6. regulators/hoses
7. camera
8. computer
9. coffee pot

Last edited by Lisi; 2006-12-03 at 12:16pm.
Old 2006-12-03, 12:27pm

I’ve had issues with my kiln in the past and early on I bought a spare heating ring! It’s a good thing too, because I’ve needed it twice now. I keep a couple spare heating elements around in case one breaks. I also have some spare high temperature electrical terminals and brass connectors. That way when my kiln needs repair I have a spare heating ring to replace it and then I have the parts on hand to repair whatever when wrong with the first one.

If you’ve been running your kiln for 4 years, I would inspect the heating element in it and the electrical connections. I’ve had issues with both and both took me by surprise. Had I inspected them I would have known trouble was coming!!

If my controller ever dies, I still have the infinite control switch and temp readout thingy. Ramping down manually SUX, but it I could make it work until I either got my controller fixed or replaced.

I don’t have a spare torch or oxy con, but I’ve seriously been considering it lately.

The other stuff I use for making beads I can buy locally in a pinch so I don’t plan on buying them before I actually need them.

Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-03, 5:26pm

My husband just fixed our kiln a couple of days ago. Turned it on one day, it ramped up, then started cooling down, and other crazy things. Turned out our thermocouple had gone bad. I bought two, he replaced it and now we an extra one just in case. I kept my HH just in case something goes wrong with the mini-CC. We have a concentrator but someone was giving away a tank and I told him to go get it "just in case". I don't like that feeing that came over me when the kiln acted up. He's talking about building another kiln "just in case" also.

Old 2006-12-03, 6:22pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I have a minor as a backup torch, and two oxy-cons so if one went, I would just run on the other until I got it fixed.. If the kiln went, I would be SOL.. Probably would just throw them back into the crock pot with vermiculite and batch anneal when I got it fixed. As far as computers, I am embarrassed to say it but we have 6 computers, so thats not a problem.. I think that the camera wouldn't be an issue because you can just run out to wally world and get another. Vent fan would be an issue. Thats the only thing I would not torch until I had fixed.
Old 2006-12-03, 6:53pm
Pyromaniac

Hmm. Spare stuff...

I have:

2 kilns... and planning to upgrade soon.
2 oxycons
1 minor burner
1 hot head
1 oxy tank
3 propane tanks (talk about overkill! Well, my bbq uses 'em too)
5 computers plus a laptop
2 turtle doves
and a partridge in a pear tree

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2006-12-03, 7:26pm
Mitzy

Ha ha! Coffee pot! Yeah, that is a must isn't it?
I kept my hothead for a loaner and in case something else quits working. More likely my oxycon than my minor, but, just in case. Don't need anything but the torch and the gas with the HH.
I have a brand new kiln, but I still have my crockpot and vermiculite and a fibre blanket and can batch anneal right around the corner at the arts center, if I had to. I would like to have a little bead annealer kiln, but....
My husband works in IT so we have about five computers in the house.
We have a digital camera, a scanner, a 35 mm camera (uses film) and two high end PDA's with cameras that are almost as good as the 35 mm.
Ventilation, well, I could always take the hothead back outside.
I have two water cooled fans for the shed, one I keep on the back porch, but if the one in my workspace broke down I could move that one. Plus we have about three other floor fans.
Man, I hate getting all hot and sweaty!!
Think I am well covered?

Old 2006-12-04, 11:03am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I have a minor and one concentrator, two gas tanks, and other then that some very sweet friends who would let me use their studio if nescessairy

Old 2006-12-04, 10:04pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Hmm. Spare stuff...

I have:

2 kilns... and planning to upgrade soon.
2 oxycons
1 minor burner
1 hot head
1 oxy tank
3 propane tanks (talk about overkill! Well, my bbq uses 'em too)
5 computers plus a laptop
2 turtle doves
and a partridge in a pear tree
ROFL!!!

Oh, I forgot about the propane tanks! I have more of them than I could ever use, and so many with old style valves that gotta go to the dump. My ex used to own a big welding shop so I have a lot of stuff from when we sold it. I need to get some of the newer looking 02 tanks inspected though. The local welding shop will do the refills if they are their tanks. It would just be a pain to transport them, and damn, I wish I still had my truck.