Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-11-19, 2:26pm

Default Help! I'm looking for Chocolate Brown Moretti

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I hope someone can help me. I LOVE brown. I work primarily with moretti and recently made a set of beads with moretti brown. Being on my brown roll, I want to make more. I recently received a glass order and the brown just isn't the same. I ordered both moretti brown colors in 448 (dark brown) and 452 (dark red brown) because the brown I used wasn't labeled. But when I matched it up with the tiny little piece I have left, it's not the same. The 448 and 452 have hints of "red" in them. I'm looking for a true CHOCOLATE, deep brown. I'm sure the rod I had was an odd-lot brown. Anyone know where I could find something like I described? Thanks in advance for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-11-19, 3:14pm
<--- Time traveler

I'll tell you what, pick me up about five pounds of it when you find it! I have about two rods from long ago that are actually a nice, Hershey's syrup dark brown. Everything since is red-brown or yellow-brown. Try adding a little intense black to one of your browns and see if you like the result.

Courtney
Old 2005-11-19, 4:37pm
Forever Grateful Beads

After seven years of lampworking, I haven't ever seen a chocolate brown from Moretti. They've always been on the reddish side whenever I've bought them

I love that choloate brown though, so I use Lauscha which is fine with the Moretti. It's a real brown-brown. I love it!

I found mine through Glass Daddy, and here's his website if you're interested:
http://www.glassdaddy.com

If anyone else out there has seen a chocolate color from Moretti, I'd love to know where and when you found it (just for the fun of knowing)!

Good luck!
Amy

Old 2005-11-19, 7:53pm

Thanks you guys. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that sees the moretti browns more as "reddish" browns. I've not tried Lauscha - thanks Amy for the tip. I'll try and order a small bit to see if it's close. If I stumble upon anything, I'll be sure to post it here.

Old 2005-11-19, 11:40pm

I mix my own transparent chocolate brown and use layering to make it darker.

Mix two parts Light Brown Transparent (018 I believe) with one part Dark Topaz (016). Layer it over Opaque Sage (211). To make it really dark, encase again in more of the 018.

Here are a few examples:

Last edited by kandice; 2009-06-03 at 3:53pm.
Old 2005-11-20, 12:49am
<--- Time traveler

Kandice, I always want to eat your beads. Those brown and green ones are looking pretty GS Thin Mint-y.

Courtney
Old 2005-11-20, 8:56am

Kandice,
You Rock. Not that I'll be able to come close to that color, but I love it when I see yours. Yours are absolutely fab!

Thanks,
Nancy ~ who wants in on the notice if you find some to buy.
Old 2005-11-20, 9:44am
Rose colored glasses…√

Kandice,

I want to have your skills for just ONE day! So I can think, "Oh yeah, I'm good!" Those "Mint Chocolate Chip" beads, first row, last picture, that cube that I see peeking in on the left, copper green and your transparent mixture? I'm lovin' all your beads, but those in particular.

Czech glass has a brown that is a little less red than the moretti browns. I've got a few rods of that. Laucha supposedly has a chocolate brown that I have never seen, but they do have a Cocoa Brown which looks like the cocoa in the can...dark.

Chris

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2005-11-20, 11:57am

Thanks Kandice! I never thought about layering brown transparents. That's a GREAT idea. I've been looking at the lauscha and I'm not really lovin' that color. It seems to be more of a brown/gray...or is it just me? Maybe I'm color blind when it comes to these colors. I'm so used to working with brights that maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me! Thanks for your suggestions. I will not stop until I figure it out!

Old 2005-11-20, 4:55pm

aah, the old Moretti brown. Got about 1/2 a rod left and then it's gone. Perhaps we should beg Mike Frantz to put this color on the list of "Please get Us"
Old 2005-11-20, 5:06pm
<--- Time traveler

Several of us begged for it when he put up a "wish list" on his WC forum, but I don't think he brought any back.

Courtney
Old 2005-11-21, 1:21am

Thanks!! I agree about the Lauscha Cocoa - I could never get the richness out of it that I wanted - but I have to admit to not really trying all that hard. After I discovered this mix, I just figured, eh, why try any more. This works for me. LOL Keep trying - you'll find something you like! And thanks everyone for the comments. Try the mixing - it really does work. Keep in mind - the brown I described is a striking color - it gets darker the longer you work with it and the more you layer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPeas
Thanks Kandice! I never thought about layering brown transparents. That's a GREAT idea. I've been looking at the lauscha and I'm not really lovin' that color. It seems to be more of a brown/gray...or is it just me? Maybe I'm color blind when it comes to these colors. I'm so used to working with brights that maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me! Thanks for your suggestions. I will not stop until I figure it out!

Old 2005-12-04, 11:08am
moth to the flame

I just wanted to thank Kandice for sharing this!

I decided to try it yesterday and I love the results!

I made a dark pink bead and then to keep it light used tongue pink for the
base/bottom of my flowers and the trans choc on top.

Really nice!

Thanks Kandice!

Take care,
Dona
Old 2005-12-04, 6:10pm

I'm so glad it worked for you!! Got a pic? I'd love to see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven
I just wanted to thank Kandice for sharing this!

I decided to try it yesterday and I love the results!

I made a dark pink bead and then to keep it light used tongue pink for the
base/bottom of my flowers and the trans choc on top.

Really nice!

Thanks Kandice!

Take care,
Dona

Old 2005-12-04, 8:29pm
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPeas
The lauscha cocoa gets a deep brown when worked. Almost black. It doesn't look like the rod.

~

Old 2005-12-05, 9:03am
moth to the flame

Okay,...and you are welcome to giggle....we can never have enough endorphines(SP?) but remember I have only been torching since August

Left bead is mocha mix on sage
Middle bead is mix on tongue pink
Right bead is sage base, mix on tongue pink and the center of the flower is
hand mixed opal yellow and for the leaves I used encased cane.
The second pic is of the Mocha on the dark pink..yummy! BTW, the other dot
is there you just can't see it!

I know they are not right, dots aren't melted in enough & some too much
etc. but really that day was about technique for me.
I tried for the first time : handmixing opal yellow, your mocha mix and pulled
my first encased twisted cane..(thanks to Corina's book for that help! I
wasn't sure how the mixing would be, but it was fun!
I was so excited to see what the mocha was going to do since I knew it
would get darker the longer I worked it..........and I had to make
myself put it in the blanket! What fun when they cooled though!
I love that color!

I just wanted to thank you for sharing....I admire your work and just LOVE your beads!
They are such an inspiration and just plain eye candy too!

If you have any pointers for me as far as mixing or anything else is
concerned, I would love to hear them! I appreciate constructive crticism..
for it can only help me to be the best I can be!!

Thanks again & take care,
Dona
Old 2005-12-05, 12:59pm
sunscreen me baby

Dona, kudos to you for mixing so early in your career!!! Great examples, thanks for sharing.

~

Old 2005-12-05, 8:49pm

I'm adding this to my list of hundreds of things to try...Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2005-12-06, 12:58am

I love them! They are so cute! And I think you did a great job on mixing - especially on the left hand bead. Looks just like the color I get when I mix. The only critique I can think to give is to maybe made the case dots a little smaller, and the mocha dots a little bit bigger on top, so that when you crease the petals, the underside doesn't show as much. But you know, sometimes it looks nice when the underside shows!!

Nice job!! I am glad you had fun with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMaven
Okay,...and you are welcome to giggle....we can never have enough endorphines(SP?) but remember I have only been torching since August

Left bead is mocha mix on sage
Middle bead is mix on tongue pink
Right bead is sage base, mix on tongue pink and the center of the flower is
hand mixed opal yellow and for the leaves I used encased cane.
The second pic is of the Mocha on the dark pink..yummy! BTW, the other dot
is there you just can't see it!

I know they are not right, dots aren't melted in enough & some too much
etc. but really that day was about technique for me.
I tried for the first time : handmixing opal yellow, your mocha mix and pulled
my first encased twisted cane..(thanks to Corina's book for that help! I
wasn't sure how the mixing would be, but it was fun!
I was so excited to see what the mocha was going to do since I knew it
would get darker the longer I worked it..........and I had to make
myself put it in the blanket! What fun when they cooled though!
I love that color!

I just wanted to thank you for sharing....I admire your work and just LOVE your beads!
They are such an inspiration and just plain eye candy too!

If you have any pointers for me as far as mixing or anything else is
concerned, I would love to hear them! I appreciate constructive crticism..
for it can only help me to be the best I can be!!

Thanks again & take care,
Dona

Old 2005-12-06, 7:21am
moth to the flame

Hi Suzy!

Thanks! Yes, several have been surprised that I an doing some things so soon but its my way of learning more about glass. Mixing was a new area
and I learned a lot from it.
I made a hollow bead the other night, it worked!
Then decided to try a white one and it worked too!

Hi Kandice,
Thanks for the tips! I'll try again....PPP.
I have never seen an actual TUT for those flower petals so I was kind of playing it by ear. It takes time (I know) to be able to gauge how much glass should be used to cover the base (sage).
PPP

Thanks again for the tips!!
Take care,
Dona
Old 2005-12-06, 7:43pm

If ya'll haven't tried this mix of Kandice's, try it. It is a wonderful brown and strikes nice and dark brown. It mixes up nicely (ie very little streaking and easily mixes up to a consistant color). I have used this mix several times and it I love it.

Kandice - Thanks as always.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2005-12-23, 4:28pm

Bumping this because I have been getting requests for the recipe.

Old 2006-01-10, 1:59pm
sunscreen me baby

Bumping it again because I had to search for it

~

Old 2006-01-11, 9:41am
Beadmaking.nl

Default Chocelate Brown

Dear Beatrice,

I took a look in our shop with Morettiglass. Is this the color your are looking for?

It has our number S11

Take a look in our webshop:

http://www.stainedglass.nl/webwinkel...beadindex.html

And then choose "Glasstaven"

It's Dutch, but it is just for the idea.
Old 2006-01-12, 5:50am

I know I'm late in the game for this and that Kandice has a kick-@##$!$ recipe for chocolate brown but I wanted to plug the Czech smoke color - it's a nice brown-brown
Attached Images

Old 2006-01-13, 12:06am

That's really pretty, Cindy!