Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-01-02, 2:40pm

Default help, how is this made???

i would love to be able to make this heart, is there a tutorial somewhere or can someone explain how it's done..thx

Old 2006-01-02, 3:22pm
Super Duper

Its made with fillagrana and some laccinato. (fillagrana is a thin strand of color encased in clear)
The heart was probbably make my heating the end of some blue filligrana and stretching it to make a tapered end.
A cone was then made out of it with one or two wraps (and because the rod was tapered if you just wind upwards the cone will get thicker as the rod gets thicker)
A wrap or two of the tealish fillagrana was then put on followed by some shaping and possible adding clear to make the shape nicer.
I just realised that that was made off mandrel and I wrote how to make it on a mandrel...
If that didn't make any sense i may be able to get some pictures of the steps to help.
Old 2006-01-02, 3:34pm

please, that is what i can't figure out how is it made off mandrel..thx for any pictures etc you can provide..
Old 2006-01-02, 4:07pm
Super Duper

Ok, here is how I would go about it:

The pictures are pretty crappy but they should show the idea.
Old 2006-01-02, 11:29pm

Nice Tutorial Ryan!
of course, I'm sooo far from trying 'off mandrel' it's pathetic (waiting for spring when it gets warm enough to drag my torch outside again....whaaa!)

That's a heart by SandPebbles, right? Their hearts rock! (hmmm...wonder if they use furnace glass? Colors don't look "moretti" ) I've got an aqua & white one & I just it....got a Mr. Smiley heart too of course....always wondered how they were made...

Ryan--you should put that "quickie tutorial" into the tutorial section--really!!
~luna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-01-03, 1:01am

my guess is, it's just the first stage of making a complex twisty, only it's not pulled out into a rod. Instead, after giving a few twists, it's flattened and shaped into a heart. Make a loop on the end and melt off the punty.

Old 2006-01-03, 1:07am
Entropy increasing....

Well I have to try that! Thanks for that tut. Excellently explained.
Old 2006-01-03, 4:37am

thx i have never used a punty any advice??????? i'm not so worried about the design within in the heart meaning the colorful lines..i i want to know how to form the form off mandrel and i think i might understand..i'll give it a try..thx i appreciate the info..
Old 2006-01-04, 12:19am

rverk47--it would be nice to give the artist credit here--if you're going to, um, borrow their photos & ask for tutorials--it's not generally considered "good form" to just take photos from artists without permission (perhaps you had their permission--if so I apoligise in advance!) to post in other places without giving them proper credit for their art....
just a friendly tip....
Oh...and you might want to check out the tutorials forum--I think Mr. Smiley may have a "off Mandrel" heart tutorial over there as well! Loads of free instruction volunteered with lots of info

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-01-04, 3:57pm
Super Duper

I must agree with kai here, when I look at the heart again it makes a lot of sense if its just a complex cane. Actaully making/melting a cane that thick though would take a long time and a huge torch so for now your probbably going to have to do it the hard way.
Old 2006-01-04, 4:10pm
boro color bender

I have done an off mandrel tutorial here, check it out.

It would be better to go ask the artist for permission to use their photo. Pete is a member here and to just ask somebody else how he made a heart isn't right. Pete can tell you how he did it if he wants to. If it's done by an artist and there isn't a way to contact them... like if they are dead, it would be different.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-01-04, 4:16pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley
If it's done by an artist and there isn't a way to contact them... like if they are dead, it would be different.
Oh come on Smiley dude, don't tell me YOU can't contact dead artists! From what I have seen, you can do purt' near everything!

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2006-01-04, 7:54pm

Ryan, out of curiosity, I just tried a few. Lynx with one concentrator, and they came out quite a bit bigger. When I visualize the size of a penny thats actually tiny! lub U

Old 2006-01-04, 8:25pm
I'm a lilac!

Hmmmm... Uroboros makes awesome marble cane that would probably also make awesome hearts. Check it out:

http://system96.com/Pages/Cane.html

I've never tried it but now I want to get some!

Old 2006-01-04, 10:11pm
boro color bender

Kalera,

I was thinking the same thing when I saw some marble stock a few months ago... would that be cheating to just pull off a piece and shape? Man, that would be quick and easy.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-01-05, 4:37am

i didn't mean to start a controversy i really just wanted to know how to make an off mandrel heart i didn't really care about the swirls etc.. i have only been doing lampwork for a few monthes so the swirls are way too complex for me..i copied the picture from ebay and have sent this seller an email to let them know that i copied their picture.really all i wanted to know was how to construct a heart off mandrel..

Last edited by rverk47; 2006-01-05 at 4:53am.
Old 2006-01-09, 7:49pm
No Longer an LE Member

Non-sequitor - why would anyone put such a grungy looking penny next to such a pure crystal clear heart?
Old 2006-01-09, 7:56pm
Mary Lockwood

Because it is a special penny.

And I guess with the penny being so grungy, the heart looks even more sparklier.

Hehe...just playin. It has been a long time since I saw a wheat penny though.

What bugs me is when people put coins that I don't recognize next to beads. The coin is there to indicate relative size. If I don't know how large the coin is...how is that helping me???

Old 2006-01-09, 10:03pm
I'm a lilac!

Mr. Smiley;

No, I don't think it's cheating! As long as your pricing is relative to your time, it's all fair play!

Mary: I was thinking about the sizing thing and realized that pretty much everyone on the internet would recognize a soda bottle cap. The only thing is... are there *any* classy soda bottle caps???