LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-06-06, 7:50pm

Default Silver Pulm

OK, Now that I have my big girl torch, I pulled out my silver pulm Moretti again and tried it out. I remember reading to get the metallic like sheen you use an oxidizing flame, not a reducing one with this glass. I get inconsistant results.

Any tips?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-06-06, 11:35pm

Hey, Lara ~ I've not used my silver plum for a while, but I made some really neat lentils with goldstone stringer that had a somewhat inconsistent sheen, and one or two had maybe 1/3 without any sheen. To be honest, I liked the look of them all together. I know this doesn't answer your question, but you're not alone with the inconsistent results.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2006-06-06, 11:40pm
Entropy increasing....

No, it's the other way around. It's a reduction glass.
Old 2006-06-07, 3:37am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Actually Kevan I always use an oxidizing flame on silver plum, it is not a reductionglass such as iris gold from what I understood
What you could try is make your bead and decorate it with silver plum, let the bead cool , and then just wave it through the tip of the flame, sort of like striking, the metals just pop to the surface that way.

Old 2006-06-07, 5:07am
Detail G-Mama!

I use a neutral flame and then turn up the oxy! Loving this glass more and more after Jenn's class!

Old 2006-06-07, 5:34pm

Ok, I thought it was oxidizing flame, glad to confirm. I think Suzanne maybe right about letting it cool. Hey, half the fun is playing and trying, right?

Old 2006-06-07, 5:52pm

Yes suzanne is right, and may I add. Keep the flame small and cool. Just reheat it to a very soft glow. Let it cool and repeat, over and over until you get the chrome to come out.

Much Love
Scott

ESTY
Old 2006-06-08, 11:15am
Formerly SirWatson

Yes - What Scott said. Silver plum doesn't take that much heat to melt and work. Use a small oxidizing flame, and the peacock/oil slick sheen will jump out. This glass really holds heat well, so (I think) it's actually pretty easy to work.

<><
Old 2006-06-08, 11:27am
Entropy increasing....

Well, I have been making it shine by reducing it. lol
Old 2006-06-08, 11:53am
Feverish Little Minx

Oh damn, Scott, those beads are gorgeous - lurrrrrve the color!!

I'm all out of clever.
Old 2006-06-08, 10:19pm

Yup, Yup, that is the effect I'm looking for. Those small shiny beads.
OK, small cool flame- check, oxidizing - check.

I'll give it a try, thanks y'all.

Kevan- don't know what's up in your flame. Glad it is working for you, I can't get it to do this with the reduction flame and I tried too.

Old 2006-06-08, 10:22pm
Entropy increasing....

Actually, I find it hard to stop it from happening. lol
Old 2006-06-09, 12:00am

Anyone try light silver plum?

Old 2006-06-09, 3:45am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I did, works the same, only less metals then the dark silver plum . The dark kind has a more peacock sheen to it, the light a bit more silvery sheen, at least imo

Old 2006-06-09, 5:44am

Thank you ! I will try it again. I wasn't working with it the right way. And I'll also order some of the dark.

Old 2006-06-09, 8:57am
tweetysweetie

Scott.......is that silver plum by itsself????? The effect looks just like Z99 results...very pretty.

Old 2006-06-09, 9:12am

I can't answer for Scott, but I think the small round beads are the silver plum and the dots are something like z99.

Old 2006-06-09, 1:05pm

Yes the rounds are soild silver plum. The lentils are a silver plum base with a Reichenbach- Zimmerman frit. I picked up from www.Jodelglass.com I used the last of it on these beads , so it don't remember what it was. I'm sure it had some z99 in it though.
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2006-06-09 at 1:19pm.
Old 2006-06-09, 8:52pm
A Splash o' Glass

I don't know if I have the dark or light, but initially I thought with the silver it would have to be reduced. I tried that and it was hard to distinguish from plain ol' black. Then I turned up the O2 and got that beautiful metallic sheen out of it. Haven't made a lot of beads out of it yet, but I'm loving this glass.