Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-02-27, 7:53pm

Default Northstar Experimental "Morado"

Did anyone else buy any in Tucson? Gorgeous in rod form, reminds me of Double Helix glass. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-01, 1:40am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson River Glass View Post
Did anyone else buy any in Tucson? Gorgeous in rod form, reminds me of Double Helix glass. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this glass.
I find this a bit amusing since Jed working on achieving all the effects that boro striking glass can do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#C-151
Old 2013-03-16, 9:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baywinger View Post
I find this a bit amusing since Jed working on achieving all the effects that boro striking glass can do
lol! Had I seen it in the sunlight when I bought it, I would have bought even more. Seriously cool looking stuff, I'll get a picture posted. Want some to try?

Old 2013-03-16, 3:40pm

pics please!
Old 2013-03-18, 9:01pm

Quote:
lol! Had I seen it in the sunlight when I bought it, I would have bought even more. Seriously cool looking stuff, I'll get a picture posted. Want some to try?
that would be fun thanks

#C-151
Old 2013-03-18, 9:10pm
Hobby Junkie

Ooooooo! Where can I buy some???

Old 2013-03-19, 12:12am
Dakine glass man

Quote:
Yes please if you send me 3-4 rods I'll send you a jellyfish made out of it.

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2013-03-19, 8:05am

That one went fast Susan! Would love to see pics of anything made from it.

Old 2013-03-19, 8:30am

Here's a quick pic in the sunlight:

Old 2013-03-19, 9:34am

can mere mortals buy this?
Old 2013-03-19, 9:44am

lol I don't think ABR has any more, not sure if it was shipped to any other suppliers. Dave at ABR might have more info on this. Dave??

Old 2013-03-19, 9:56am

OMG Susan ... that does look yummy.

I'm getting ready to make some "special" frit. Wanna trade a rod for some??

P.S. .... it looks purple and sparkley ... be still my heart!!

Old 2013-03-19, 11:13am

"can mere mortals buy this?"
that is funny.

Old 2013-03-19, 11:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
OMG Susan ... that does look yummy.

I'm getting ready to make some "special" frit. Wanna trade a rod for some??

P.S. .... it looks purple and sparkley ... be still my heart!!
not sure about the sparkly part, but it is definitely purple and gorgeous. I would love to trade!! I'll get some sent off to ya. You know me and frit...

Old 2013-03-20, 4:07am

Can you make something with it and post a pic ?
Old 2013-03-20, 7:31am

Sure, I'm headed out to the studio this morning, and will post pics hopefully tomorrow.

Old 2013-03-20, 7:34am
Loving learning

How sad is it that I have made exactly 2 things in boro (in Ron Bearer's class on Saturday) and my brain is saying "oooo, I wonder what they're talking about, maybe I need to buy some!"
Old 2013-03-20, 10:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
How sad is it that I have made exactly 2 things in boro (in Ron Bearer's class on Saturday) and my brain is saying "oooo, I wonder what they're talking about, maybe I need to buy some!"
lol Eileen!

Old 2013-03-20, 12:29pm
Marble Lover

That is some pretty glass.

-BEP

Quote:
Here's a quick pic in the sunlight:
Old 2013-03-20, 3:25pm

So here are the beads I made this morning. Please pardon the bad picture - no sunlight today. What is so weird is, no matter what I did they look the same for the most part. Over white, over clear, plain, mixed, reduced, struck, unstruck, didn't matter. Encasing made a very slight difference - each bead is half encased. When I struck them, they did go purple on me - a nice dark amethyst - prior to them going in the kiln. After they were cool though, all are the same! Maybe it's a kiln striking glass - I think mine garages at 1050 and ramps up to maybe 1080 for an hour, then down from there. They weren't garaged long - maybe an hour tops. Dave said this color fumes like crazy - I haven't tried that yet. I worked it pretty fast - might be one of those colors that develops more after being worked a bit. Might try a few pendants next.

Old 2013-03-20, 8:58pm
yukue fumei

ooh--fascinating! beautiful!
you might try putting them in the kiln for a few more garage cycles to see if you can grow the silver crystals out and get some pinks....it looks like it will

nagi

Old 2013-03-20, 10:11pm

It does eem a bit weird that it looks the same over clear as it does over white. Does the rod go clear as its being worked in the flame or does it stay somewhat opaque?
Old 2013-03-20, 10:15pm
Dakine glass man

If you don't want it to kiln strike, garage at 980

Old 2013-03-21, 10:21am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassAlias View Post
It does eem a bit weird that it looks the same over clear as it does over white. Does the rod go clear as its being worked in the flame or does it stay somewhat opaque?
nope it stays opaque I think

Old 2013-03-21, 10:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Greenstone View Post
If you don't want it to kiln strike, garage at 980
lol then I'd have to reprogram my Fuji and that controller totally intimidates me. I don't speak Fuji speak. Or is there a simpler temporary way to reduce the garage temp for just one time?

Old 2013-03-21, 10:23am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
ooh--fascinating! beautiful!
you might try putting them in the kiln for a few more garage cycles to see if you can grow the silver crystals out and get some pinks....it looks like it will
I didnt' even think of trying this - will give it a go.

Old 2013-03-24, 6:49pm
Dakine glass man

Ok here is what I got before striking.
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-24, 6:50pm
Dakine glass man

A little different light
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-24, 8:57pm
Hobby Junkie

I'll be playing tomorrow. I'll post some pics once I get to.

Old 2013-03-24, 9:31pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Or is there a simpler temporary way to reduce the garage temp for just one time?
Use the up/down arrows to move the temp down for garaging. Then activate 'run' when the garage session is over.