LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-06-08, 5:51pm
Fire Diva

Default Tiger Stripes

Ever wonder how to make a tiger striped bead? They are really easy to make.

Tiger Stripes:

The tiger stripe beads are created by first pulling a twisty of the colors you choose. In this case let's use ivory and black. Then make a small core base bead in the shape that you want the bead to be. Starting at the mandrel wind the twisty around and around and around the bead. Encase in lt. amber/topaz and melt smooth. Can add raised dots, etc. or shape/press the bead again.

Note: When encasing...just like encasing in clear...the encasing rod of glass should be hot and the core bead should be warm but not hot...you want to make sure not to smear the core bead's glass when encasing.

Other colors:
Black and orange twisty
Black and ivory encased with any transparent

Here is a pic of rainbow tiger beads:
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by paintingwithglass; 2008-10-15 at 10:52am. Reason: adding note
Old 2005-06-08, 5:59pm
Fire Diva

In case you do not know how to do an easy twisty. Here is what I do:
How to make a twisty:

Take two rods (ivory and black)
Tape them together (at end that will be away from the fire)
Slowly heat the end of the two rods
Use your tweezers or pliers and pinch the end together—this creates a handle
Then hold the handle with the tweezers/pliers and slowly heat the rods
Turn the rods and pull the tweezers in the opposite direction slowly and this will create a twisty.

Old 2005-06-08, 9:26pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Thanks Fay!! I forgot about animal beads... I'll have to give that a shot!!
Old 2005-06-10, 6:30pm

I tried this last weekend. I used black and white twisty and random dot encased with three different transparent ambers.
This is what came out of the kiln.
Emily (trying pic posting here for the first time!)
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-10, 8:25pm
Queen Bead Dork

Fey Great tutorial. I made some today and pressed them into a tab shape. I will post pics in the am.

Gwen

Old 2005-06-11, 10:22pm
Fire Diva

Great tiger bead Emily!! I like the 3color shading.

Gwen I look forward to seeing what you made.

Old 2005-06-13, 5:22pm
Queen Bead Dork

Ok here they are.
Attached Images

Old 2005-06-28, 9:49pm
Fire Diva

Very cool Gwen!! They look grrrrrreeeeeaaaaaaattttt!!

Old 2008-10-08, 2:07pm
Cake for me too please

I was just trying to figure out how to do this the other day with little success. I will go home and try it tonight. Thanks!
Old 2008-10-08, 2:30pm
MomOnAMission

Make sure the glass your melting to encase is VERY soft before you lay it down.

Last edited by Roseanne; 2008-10-08 at 2:32pm. Reason: add pic
Old 2008-10-08, 10:07pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Default This is my first tiger bead

I always like to keep my first attempts at making a new style of bead so I can wear them with pride. It's always exciting learning something new and waiting for the kiln to finish and hope like hell that it comes out great!

Janet

Old 2008-10-08, 10:18pm

Beautiful tiger stripe selection. I cannot wait to try this tutorial.

Debbie
Old 2008-10-09, 12:42am
I need more boro stuff

I made some tiger beads.

This one is on Etsy atm

Old 2008-10-12, 10:20am
Sparkle Strumpet

Encasae them with the varying shades of amethyst and purples for purple tigers...

Add a few dots of transparent yellow around the bead and then use various ambers on top....lovely color variations.

I've made the base with black and yellow....encased in three ambers.....I liked them too.

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2008-10-15, 10:46am
Fire Diva

Wow! You all are making awesome tiger striped beads!! Way to go!!

You can do so many different color variations too.

This is an old tutorial from 2005...so it is fun to see you all inspired to make some tiger striped beads!!

Happy melting~
Fay

Gubnavnania--your stripes are tight!!
Debbie--please show us pics when you make some.
Janet--wow! your first is fabulous!! Aren't they easy to create?!! Can't wait to see some more.
Roseanne--when encasing you want the encasing rod to be very hot (just like encasing a bead in clear) and the core bead to be warm but not hot so you do not smear the core bead's glass. I love the bracelet!!
THL-- you are so welcome!! I was addicted to making these my first year of lampworking. They make an impact! and peeps love tiger striped beads!! It is great to see your beginning ones...can't wait to see some more!

Old 2008-10-15, 8:03pm
pinkcloud2

Default gorgeous beads

I love everyone's beads and suggestions. I'm curious, what color are everyone's base beads?

Thanks,
Alicia
Old 2008-10-15, 9:16pm
Fire Diva

Hi Alicia!!

My base bead was usually black.

Old 2008-10-16, 3:42am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
I made some tiger beads.

This one is on Etsy atm
These are my fav! Looks like there is some silvered ivory in there.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2008-10-16, 9:37am
pinkcloud2

Default base bead

Thanks Fay,

I have tried it with a dark amber base, but I had some trouble fully covering the base bead with the stringer.

Thanks again for the tutorial,
Alicia
Old 2008-10-16, 10:29am
Fire Diva

Hi Alicia!

Here are a few more tips:
I would make a bunch of twisties...and just have a pile of them...so if I ran out I had the next one set to go to finish covering the base bead. Start near one hole then go round and round the base bead and firecut the twisty at the opposite end.

Touch/Tap the end of each twisty down to the base bead with a razor or brass marver so that it does not bleed when you hit it with heat.

The twisty will spread out when it is melting so try to get the twisties close together...if there is some space between it does not matter...it does not have to be perfect..that is the best part about tiger stripes!!