Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-09-07, 10:49pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

wow I have never seen bubbles like that, strange! I am very curious if this is a heat issue or maybe the rods wheren't squeeky clean, keep us posted!

Karen I will be using the bug versus Feature line a lot for the rest of my life, cracked me up

Btw I received my testglass yesterday evening, so I'll be working it today,posting pics tomorrow

Have a nice day,
Suzanne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-09-07, 10:49pm

That's a good point, Karen--I agree! Mona, I thought the bubble things were very sparkly!
When I was first experimenting with boro, I made an awesome tab focal with many colors including some Millenium Moss (which has both the sparkle and the green)--it was full of detail and I worked on it for quite a long while, heating and reheating, pressing and heating out the chill marks, etc. The bead was fine when I took it out of the kiln and for a day afterward. Then gradually many minuscule crackles (looked kind of like your bubbles) formed where the Moss intersected with some other colors. Gradually, more and more of these crackles formed but they all stayed deep inside the encasing. Last I looked at the bead, there were still no actual cracks in the encasing layer and it's been years. So maybe your cool creations will stabilize and have a long life!
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-08, 6:19am
Serenity Now!

[quote=suzanne]Btw I received my testglass yesterday evening, so I'll be working it today,posting pics tomorrow

/quote]

Great news Suzanne...but I'm freaking out here...it got all the way to the Netherlands, and still hasn't arrived to me here...I did have some Gypsyand Dragon glass here though, and made a few test beads.

It was a bit of a challenge to come up with a test that hassn't already been done here, but here goes...
I really love the idea of it, although the colors aren't in my general palette. I found an amazing difference depending
on the side I layed down on the mandrel. I got a beautiful irridescent peacock kind of sheen on top of the green and blue colors - in some beads it was clear, but in other tests it seemed to muddy up the entire area, and cloud up the neighbouring colors. I also found an elusive pink and purple becuase I was trying to hide the red and orange colors - it struck beautifully in the flame, but came out kinda yucky from the kiln. I annealed at both 1050 and 1090...I found the 1050 was too low to strike out the red and orange clearly.
I also found the colors more muted, and more to my organic style when I left them unencased - as seen in the second pic.
I made some of my accelerating spiral discs, and love how they came out...thought of naming them "Psycho" beads, but didn't think Momka would appreciate it! They're shown with both sides below.
I like the Dragon green - very smooth, but I think next time I would try and dilute it down quite a bit - shown in the second set.
I made a couple of wigwag buttons, which came out great, but have no pics...
All in all, I love the Gypsy glass...it was a lot of fun to play with, and I could see myself spending many more hours with it.
(I used a Piranha, and tanked oxy.)
Thanks to Momka and Sabina for allowing me to be a part of this, and thanks to Cathy as well for her frit contribution...now if I could just receive my package, I could start playing with that frit (and the Sparkle Brown...)
Here's my pics:

Have a great weekend, all...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-09-08, 6:35am
traumaqueen

Don't sweat it yet Val, I am sure your toyglass will turn up one of these days

I love those rainbow striped beads!

Here are my first testbeads with brown glitter and gypsy queen, again using a bethlehem Barracuda and two concentrators.

First image from the left to the right:
1 + 2 Silver tears on clear base with size two glitterbrown frit

3 + 4 silver twistie of glitterbrown and silver tears, encased
5 + 6 ( I cheated...) glitter brown fine frit on caramel...LOVE it!

Second picture from left to right:

1 + 2 base bead of gypsie queen, zigzag encased
3 gypsiequeen twistie, encased
4 ( now please don't laugh...it was a first) clear base, rolled in gypsie queen powder five times, gypsie queen murini's , encased . I just cut little pieces of the rod with my discnippers, for someone who knows how to handle murrini's this would make a fabulous looking little flower
5 clear base, gypsy queen twistie, encased
6 + 7 twistie of silver tears and clear, rolled four times in gypsy queen powder, zigzag encased. I really like these, they are so sparkly.

All beads where kilnstruck for 30 minutes at 1150 and another 30 minutes of 1050

I find the glitterbrown very easy to work with, it would make a lovely base with other reactive colors, by itself I think it misses something. I really love the frit, very sparkly . The gypsy queen is so pretty in the rod form , but I don't like the beads I made out of them, I like Val's a lot better. The frit on the other hand is really nice .

Suzanne

Last edited by suzanne; 2006-09-08 at 6:40am.
Old 2006-09-08, 6:38am
traumaqueen

ya know all, after carefully looking at Val's beads I have a really stupid question.... where did my yellow go????

Old 2006-09-08, 7:15am
Virginia Beach, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreamDesigns
I WANT TO PLAY!!!!!

::: whine whine pout pout :::

Like I'd know what to dow tih them.

Hey Jeff - you going to put these up for sale? Are you going to be a vendor at Hampton Bay Days possibly?

thanks -

Martha
martha... they are on ebay right now.. no we won't be a vendor at hampton bay days.. we are going to the nascar races this weekend in richmond ...

Old 2006-09-08, 10:42am
ManBearPig

Okay. Finally got some good results with this glass. Found out that encasing the Gypsy Queen works best for me.

This is a vortex marble consisting of Gypsy Queen (inside the vortex) and Brown Glitter, Almond Nugget, and Green Dragon on the back. Simax clear.

Sorry about the photo quality. I don't have my regular lights here, so I'm trying to make what I have work...

Old 2006-09-08, 11:15am

Chad, looks like the perfect Fall season marble! I'd love to see it under your regular lights some time.
Anita
Old 2006-09-08, 11:35am
CEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne
wow I have never seen bubbles like that, strange! I am very curious if this is a heat issue or maybe the rods wheren't squeeky clean, keep us posted!
All the rods were cleaned with alcohol then buffed and the ends were torn off before using. However, the checking and frothing on the Gypsy Queen is within the glass. We will test more this weekend watching the working heat more closely. Thom made another top with Green Dragon last night and it looks like it totally exploded within the clear. He didn't think he got it too hot - after all, we are working two torches on one generator and last night I had Big Bertha (PM2D) on board rather than the Bobcat. It's hard to get boro up to temp on a good day with our configuration. (I WANT MY TANKED OXYGEN BACK!!! WAH!)

I kind of like the look in the marble because it looks like very sparkly diamonds. The marble seems stable, no cracks extending out of the clear.

Great marbles and beads everyone! Especially love the GB frit on carmel, Suzanne.

Mona

-

Crossing the Line
I have too much to lose, she said, if I cross that line. Like what? I said. She could not think of anything that day so she said she'd get back to me. Since then I've been thinking what I would lose if I cross my line & I haven't come up with anything either. There's always another line somewhere.

Old 2006-09-08, 1:18pm
Flameworker

Hello All-
Wow you guys have been busy! You definitely have all the other boards beat! This thread is better than I expected. I love all the insight you guys have. We've learned a lot. Sorry Mona about the checking you got with the Gypsy, I haven't seen that problem before. The Brown Glitter has given me a bit of a similar problem, but it's a common rule that most sheen's and glitters can't be deep encased. I always try anyways, and here is what happens. The other colors in this are Sunshine yellow over Carmen Red.

Also, here's a wonderful piece Bill Rasmussen sent us! It's all Gypsy Queen.

Keep up the great work, and thank you so much,
Sabina
Old 2006-09-08, 1:37pm
Serenity Now!

Awesome. Wow...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2006-09-08, 3:29pm

Wow, Sabina's growin' the same bubbles in her marble as you, Mona! Very sparkly butterfly.
Bill's piece done with the Gypsy Queen--wild, very wild and beautiful. He is a national treasure, IMO.

Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2006-09-08, 4:16pm

Since we are posting the results of our Momka experiments here, do we still need to fill out the hardcopy questionaire and mail it in?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2006-09-08, 11:12pm
traumaqueen

Cathy, the green and brown frits are WYSIWYG colors as far as I can tell, just melt and pop in the kiln, I haven't seen deeper colors coming out of the kiln or color changes within the frit itselve.

Suzanne

Old 2006-09-09, 9:55am
Type ZZZ personality

Wow! you guys are coming up with some cool stuff. And Bill's sculpture... what can I say? Amazing!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-09-09, 7:56pm
CEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio
And Bill's sculpture... what can I say? Amazing!
Thom and I are taking his human form class at Momka's at the end of this month! We can't wait! WooHoo!

-Mona

-

Crossing the Line
I have too much to lose, she said, if I cross that line. Like what? I said. She could not think of anything that day so she said she'd get back to me. Since then I've been thinking what I would lose if I cross my line & I haven't come up with anything either. There's always another line somewhere.

Old 2006-09-09, 10:10pm
traumaqueen

Oh my god Mona, you are the talismanbeadgirl!!!! I just went over to your website and to my pleasant surprise I found your talisman beads there. When I first started out lampworking about a year and a half ago I remember your husband posting them on WC, I was so in awe about those little pearl like bubbles on your beads, they rock!

Suzanne

Old 2006-09-10, 7:41am
CEB

<blush> Thanks, Suzanne. I'm finally getting back to the torch and back on the boards.

Here is a link to a sweet marble made by Christopher Rice using Gypsy Queen and Glitter Brown where the brown didn't grow any bubbles. He comments that it needs to be worked cool. He makes some really awesome marbles.

-Mona

-

Crossing the Line

Old 2006-09-10, 4:15pm
AKA Vanna

My newest try. I love the Gypsy Queen frit!!!

The base is Purple Haze, rolled in Brown Glitter fine frit, rolled again in Gypsy Queen frit. I then spiral enased them, melted that in and fully encase them.

The transparent green spacers are GA Kryptonite. I didn't mix any Momka glass with those.

Kim's Klub
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-09-10, 5:12pm
Nah, not really...;)

Very very cool Kim! Nice job!

Old 2006-09-10, 5:20pm
In search of her path....

oh Kim those diamond beads are TDF!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-09-10, 5:54pm
AKA Vanna

Thank you Karin and Carrie!!!

Did you guys like my finger print on the third crystal from the top? That was extra tid bit of personalization for my customers!

Kim's Klub

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-09-10, 11:07pm
traumaqueen

Lol Kim, that fingerprint makes them priceless. I really like the gypgy queen powder too, lot's of possibillities there

Old 2006-09-11, 2:23am
Nah, not really...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVCKimberly
Thank you Karin and Carrie!!!

Did you guys like my finger print on the third crystal from the top? That was extra tid bit of personalization for my customers!
I think it adds a nice touch

Old 2006-09-11, 6:44am

Geez, I wish I had the patience to make sets like that.... I just can't seem to stay focused and making more than one of the same bead drives me nuts.... those beads are beautiful, Kimberly

Old 2006-09-11, 8:03am
AKA Vanna

Thank you guys!! You all make feel so good!!!

Hey Kay, I can only make a big set of beads like that over several days in between other work. Oh and I have to have a couple of good movies to watch at the same time.

Kim's Klub

Old 2006-09-11, 8:37am

Default Gypsy Queen

Here are my contributions for the week for Momka's Gypsy Queen testing. The first are straight wraps of Gypsy Queen encased with clear. I used a neutral flame and just annealed at 1050 (no striking). I love working with this color. Found that I could avoid hot spots on the beads by covering them with a thin layer of clear before forming the core beads and then added more clear.
Attached Images

Old 2006-09-11, 8:40am

Default Gypsy Queen Frit

I love the Gypsy Queen frit on the Dragon Green and Brown rods!
Attached Images

Old 2006-09-11, 8:43am

Default Gypsy Queen on Momka's Orange and Yellow

I know we were ideally going to limit ourselves to the test colors and clear - but I just couldn't help adding the Gypsy Queen frit to Momka's Orange and Yellow rods to see how it looks - I love it!
Attached Images

Old 2006-09-11, 8:50am

Kimberly, hmm maybe I could tolerate that spreading it out over time thing. Might have to try.
Genny, you are doing awesome stuff now...

I think I caught the "glitz" in this bead of almond nugget and Glitter Brown..
Attached Images