LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-10, 8:20pm

Default Fuse Box II relay and element information

Hi everyone! I've just spent 6 weeks repairing my Fuse Box II kiln, made by the E.K.Miller company in Oregon (they are no longer in business). I discovered I needed to replace my elements and had to make a lengthy search to find the replacement parts I needed.

I've decided to post everything here so that if anyone else found themselves in my situation, they would have the necessary information available to them so they could get their kilns back up and running.

This is the relay switch, it's made by Omron and is available from Grainger (they have a site online):

This is the wiring diagram with the kiln specs:

This is the element schematic:

The element is available from Joppa Glassworks. You need to provide the element number (E120-12-165/2). They cost $40.00 each plus shipping, you will need two of them.

The Partlow controller (model 1166) is available from distributors. The current model has a port added so you can download programs directly from a computer. I have .pdf files of the manuals , PM me if you'd like copies.

This is the Partlow distributor I talked to here in Michigan, I'm sure if he can't help you, he can refer you to someone who can:

Patrick Peters
George R Peters Associates http://www.grpeters.com
Ste C 650 E Big Beaver Troy MI 48304
Phone: 248-524-2211 cell 248 417 8765
Email: patpeters@grpeters.com sales@grpeters.com

An interesting sidenote is that Partlow makes an instrument that can detect a runaway kiln and will disable it until you take care of the problem. It costs about $250 and if I remember correctly, it will work for other types of kilns as well. I plan to get one as soon as I can...

The only thing I don't have is the manufacturer's manual for the kiln itself, if I find one, I'll be sure to post it here.

I love this kiln, hope this helps other FuseBox II owners keep their kilns up and running!

Denise

Last edited by DPete1104; 2011-09-10 at 8:45pm.
Old 2011-09-11, 6:03am

Thanks for this information Denise. I'm going to save this just in case I need it in the future. A misbehaving kiln makes for a very bad bead day. Miller made a good product. Mary
Old 2011-09-12, 8:34am
I'm a lilac!

Wow, thank you so much, Denise! You rock!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-12, 4:53pm

It did take some time to compile...but I had to find new elements since this kiln is the center of the business I'm trying to develop. There was no way I could replace it, I HAD to fix it.

I know that everyone who has this kiln loves it...and since Starr helped me when my kiln lost its relay I figured to pay it forward...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
This is incredible! Thank you! I think I will look at getting the instrument that shuts down a runaway kiln. That is one of my nightmares. Thank you so much for posting all of this. I know it took a ton of time on your part. You are incredibly generous to share it with us.
Old 2012-03-28, 5:58pm
Bead Geek

Denise,

My relay just went out today. All my morning beads were puddles when I went out to check the kiln. The last time I had trouble with the relay was in 2003. We took the relay switch off this afternoon and will order a replacement.

Thanks for the information on the element and controller. Haven't run into those problems yet but your information will be helpful if needed.

I have the orignal manual that came with the kiln if you would like me to run copies and mail it to you I'd be more than happy to. Just PM me your address.

Beth
Old 2012-03-28, 6:13pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth S View Post
Denise,

My relay just went out today. All my morning beads were puddles when I went out to check the kiln. The last time I had trouble with the relay was in 2003. We took the relay switch off this afternoon and will order a replacement.

Thanks for the information on the element and controller. Haven't run into those problems yet but your information will be helpful if needed.

I have the orignal manual that came with the kiln if you would like me to run copies and mail it to you I'd be more than happy to. Just PM me your address.

Beth
Order 2 relays, they are not very expensive. I always keep 2 extra on hand just in case. I love my Fusebox!
Old 2012-04-13, 8:40pm
Bead Geek

So tonight my new relay switch went out. I'm wondering why all of a sudden I would have the relay switch go out 2 times w/i a few weeks of each other. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the kiln itself that would cause the relay switches to go bad.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 2012-04-13, 8:57pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

That controller, the partlow 1166 seems to eat parts an fail after so long of use. I have replaced many of them over the years due to board failure.
Or there might be a short somewhere.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2012-04-13, 9:07pm
Bead Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLASSFREEK View Post
That controller, the partlow 1166 seems to eat parts an fail after so long of use. I have replaced many of them over the years due to board failure.
Or there might be a short somewhere.

Mike
I knew you were the man I needed to talk to. I just asked you a question in another Fusebox thread.

How hard is it to replace the controller? Is this something I can do or do I need to send it off somewhere? Could you replace it for me and is it worth the shipping costs to send the kiln back and forth to the West coast?

This kiln has really been trouble free for years. I don't trust it at all right now.
Old 2012-04-14, 7:03am

Thanks for the info. I have replaced my relay twice. The rest of the info I did not know about.

I think it might be time to replace my relay again before it goes on its own and ruins another days work like in the past. Thanks for the reminder.

I just go and pick up a new relay at a grainger supply store. They are cheap.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2012-04-14, 7:59am

Denise - thank you so much for this information! I love my Fusebox kiln and have been dreading the day that something happens to it. I'll be saving this thread.

Marjorie
Old 2012-04-14, 8:20am
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

All you would need to send me is the controller box, why dont you give us a call.
541-270-6792

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2012-04-25, 8:43pm
Bead Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLASSFREEK View Post
All you would need to send me is the controller box, why dont you give us a call.
541-270-6792

Mike
I'll be calling you tomorrow. My kiln just melted my beads for the 3rd time in about a month.

Beth
Old 2012-04-25, 10:51pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
I'll be calling you tomorrow. My kiln just melted my beads for the 3rd time in about a month.

Beth
If the controller is ramping your kiln up and down I'm going to guess
it is your thermocouple and not the controller.

If the thermocouple died then your kiln controller is getting the wrong
temp reading making it run too long and melt your beads.
Old 2012-04-26, 6:09am
Bead Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
If the controller is ramping your kiln up and down I'm going to guess
it is your thermocouple and not the controller.

If the thermocouple died then your kiln controller is getting the wrong
temp reading making it run too long and melt your beads.
I have no clue. It seems to just get a wild hair up it's a** in the middle of a cycle and decides to ramp up for no reason. Last night I left my studio when it was at 750 degrees. At some point between 750 and 75 degrees it decided to shoot up enough to melt all of my beads, however all of my mandrels were not ruined this time because I think since it was on it's way down to 75 it shut itself off before it reached a temperature of 2,000+ I went back out to my studio after cooking dinner to find melted beads.

I'm so confused, I don't really know which part is bad and I think the easiest thing to do is buy a new kiln and deal with repairing the Fuseboxx II later.
Old 2012-04-26, 10:13am
Cave Dweller

Quote:
I have no clue. It seems to just get a wild hair up it's a** in the middle of a cycle and decides to ramp up for no reason. Last night I left my studio when it was at 750 degrees. At some point between 750 and 75 degrees it decided to shoot up enough to melt all of my beads, however all of my mandrels were not ruined this time because I think since it was on it's way down to 75 it shut itself off before it reached a temperature of 2,000+ I went back out to my studio after cooking dinner to find melted beads.

I'm so confused, I don't really know which part is bad and I think the easiest thing to do is buy a new kiln and deal with repairing the Fuseboxx II later.

From your description above, there are three things that could be wrong:

Thermocouple is sending wrong temperature to the controller.
Controller is malfunctioning.
Relay is sticking ( I tend to doubt this because once they fail they do
not continue to work, usually).
Old 2012-04-26, 12:55pm
Bead Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
From your description above, there are three things that could be wrong:

Thermocouple is sending wrong temperature to the controller.
Controller is malfunctioning.
Relay is sticking ( I tend to doubt this because once they fail they do
not continue to work, usually).
Since we have replaced 2 Relays in the past month I don't think it's the Relay, in fact, even after the melt down last night, I could probably go out there a make a batch of beads today. Controller seems to work. But I can't trust it so I'm moving on to the next cheapest option, a new Thermocouple from a NC source and will have it by tomorrow in SC.

If the Thermocouple doesn't do the trick I'll probably get a cheap kiln or a new controller.

Thanks for your help. I didn't even know what a Thermocouple was!

Beth
Old 2012-06-18, 9:03am

my relay just went again.... here is a link to it...

It has been about 2-3 years...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2013-04-23, 2:18pm
Slave to the Flame

I have one of these and suddenly it started to lose temp. If I turn it off and turn it back on it starts to ramp up again. I took it apart and cleaned it, reseated all wires and started it up, and poof it worked ok, after a few hours it lost temp again, and it doesn't ramp back to the set temp.

I am NOT in the US so I need to figure out as best as possible what it might be, it looks wonderful inside, no charred wires, everything looks good. So could this be the relay switch? The one from grainger? If so, I will buy it right away!

Thank you so much!
Sincerely
Laura

Our Website!

Our Latest ITEMS

Supplies

Our BLOG
Old 2013-04-23, 2:40pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
I have one of these and suddenly it started to lose temp. If I turn it off and turn it back on it starts to ramp up again. I took it apart and cleaned it, reseated all wires and started it up, and poof it worked ok, after a few hours it lost temp again, and it doesn't ramp back to the set temp.

I am NOT in the US so I need to figure out as best as possible what it might be, it looks wonderful inside, no charred wires, everything looks good. So could this be the relay switch? The one from grainger? If so, I will buy it right away!

Thank you so much!
Sincerely
Laura

It's the relay, should take 10 min to fix. Take a picture of all the wiring before you replace it so you can have a reference. If you are going to order the relay get 2
Old 2013-04-23, 4:49pm
Slave to the Flame

Cool Beans! Going to order it immediately!

Our Website!

Our Latest ITEMS

Supplies

Our BLOG
Old 2013-04-24, 12:42pm

Default fusebox

DPete,

You are my hero!

Thanks so much for this info.

Ellen
Old 2014-09-26, 12:19pm
Cat Servant

THANK YOU so much for this information. I'm out in the middle of nowhere Canada and didn't know what to do when my relay switch failed. I've just ordered 2 (from a Canadian supplier) and feel confident that I can fix this thing by myself. THANKS again!

Suzee