Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-05-07, 5:20am

Default Technical hood venting question?

The good news - we have bought a new house after our cross-country move, and there is plenty of room for a really nice studio.

The bad news - I've got to start from scratch and literally build the whole thing (a tad bit frustrating when I just recently spent months building my previous one before this move came about).

So, I'm about to get to work. But I have a couple of questions for the ventilation experts:

I'm planning to build a new restaurant style hood that is approx 8' long and 3' deep. My old hood was about 1/3 this length and just had a single 7" extraction pipe coming off the center of it.

But it just occured to me that it probably won't work to just suck the fumes from a single point at the middle of the new 8' long hood. Is this correct? Should I instead build it with 2 or 3 extraction points spread along the length of it?

And, in a related question, if so can I drop down to 4" or 5" pipe coming off the multiple points on the hood instead of making them all 7"?

I don't care much about the pipe cost, but because I need to penetrate the house wall between some joists, it would actually be easier, stronger and look better to do so with 2 or 3 small pipes instead of one big one. Plus, I'm thinking I'd get more even airflow that way. Good idea, or bad?

Finally, if it is ok to go with multiple smaller pipes, is it correct that I can space them along the hood, penetrate the wall with each, and then have all of them flow into a chase or box mounted on the outside of the wall with one big pipe connecting this common chase to the blower?

A few relevant facts to help:

The pipe length coming off the hood will be very minimal. Probably about two feet is all as the pipes will come right out of the hood and directly through the wall behind it.

I plan to use all solid pipe, no flex. There will be one 90 degree turn to go through wall.

Thanks so much!

Erik
Old 2012-05-07, 12:09pm
Gentleman of Leisure

It would probably be more feasible to make something like three separate systems ... Since it sounds like you may want to have something like 3 torch stations... The design criteria would be the same, and one design can serve for three stations... Trying to use multiple ducts and sectioning off hood and multiple fans serving one hood sounds like a design and air flow balance nightmare...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal