LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-04-27, 8:09am
Moving on!

Default Stamen Cane

There's something about that word that I just don't like! Sounds creepy!!
Anyways.....does anyone have a stamen cane tutorial with pictures that they would be willing to share?
Thanks in advance,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- nothing right now.
Old 2007-04-27, 8:17am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

sounds like something out of a horror movie, doesn't it?

"He stamen caned them to death"

Bwahahahaha.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-04-27, 8:18am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Here is the one I read the other day - no pics, but seems pretty easy.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...+cane+tutorial

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-04-27, 10:44am
Moving on!

The word is just too close to semen for my liking!

- nothing right now.
Old 2007-04-27, 10:56am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

well, they are both sexual since a stamen is part of a flower's reproductive system.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2007-04-27, 1:47pm

Angela, I was saying the word stamen over and over trying to come up with a word close to it as to why you don't like the word and semen was the only thing that popped into my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Schoonen View Post
The word is just too close to semen for my liking!

Old 2007-05-03, 7:32am
JulieV

Here's one with really good pics -
http://www.cauldroncreations.com/stamenstringer.html

Old 2007-05-03, 8:42am
Beadaholic and lovin it!!

I took a class with Kim Miles a year or so ago and she made stamen cane like this:
on a clear rod put stringer size strips (yellow or intense black) around the clear horizontially. Incase with more clear and pull.

flowers come out looking so life like.

good luck

K

BOREDOM IS A MATTER OF CHOICE NOT CIRCUMSTANCE

Old 2007-05-03, 9:10am

Horizontially?

(website in construction)
Old 2007-05-03, 10:44am
Moving on!

That appears to be so simple! Thank you.
So when putting the cane into the flower, does one cut it up and apply it with tweezers, or do you just spot heat and plunge the cane in then break it off? Or does it not make a difference?

- nothing right now.
Old 2007-05-03, 11:04am
Covered in glitter

I would spot heat, plunge, cool and break.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-05-03, 12:36pm
JulieV

Thank you for starting this thread Angela. Made me wanna try it..........I also do not know how to apply it. So I faked it; used the cane to plunge with, broke it off and the applied a dot of clear as I really like bubbles in the center of flowers. Anyway, I'll show you a pic of how the flowers turned out.

Old 2007-05-03, 3:27pm
Moving on!

Julie - I too tried adding clear on top of the stamen cane, but didn't like the outcome at all - it looked odd to have a bubble on top of it. All personal preference, however, and if you like it, great!

- nothing right now.
Old 2007-05-03, 3:34pm
JulieV

Yes, the more I thought about it, the more I figured it wouldn't look so great. Guess I'll see when they come out of the kiln.
So the scooby doo is to just plunge and then break it off? Or not plunge at all? Or like you said, maybe nip little pieces and set them on???
what did you like the best?

confused, as usual......

Old 2007-05-03, 7:51pm
Moving on!

I spot heated, plunged, cooled and broke off, then encased the entire bead in clear.

- nothing right now.
Old 2007-05-03, 8:15pm
Puddy Cat Lover

Hey all, Just an FYI.
In the book "Beads of Glass" by Cindy Jenkins, one of the wonderful artist shows how to make stamen with filigrana cane. It not hard at all. I've done it countless times.
J.

Old 2007-05-04, 9:55am

Kismet....do you mean wrap the colors down the side of the clear like usual or around the center on top of each other? That sounds kind of cool to wrap in a disk then pull, think I'll try that next time I'm torching. Is that what you mean?

(website in construction)
Old 2007-05-21, 6:14am

Kismet,
Typical stamen is formed by striping the opaque color down the gather of clear. Then encasing the whole gater with clear and puling it straight down.
Good luck.
Joan
Old 2007-05-21, 7:01am
JulieV

Shoot! I forgot I had said I'd post a pic....anyhow, I think I made my stamen cane waaay too skinny. You can barely even see it. Then on the last bead, I tried to do a pansy and I put a blob (dot) of the stamen cane in the center....not very good examples; next time I will make the cane thicker and see if that's better.
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-24, 12:57pm
Floral Obsessed

I have a stamen phobia, which I need to get over because they look so awesome. Maybe I just need to accept that mine just aren't going to look like Carolyn/Fireglass's! My main problem is that I get fogging between the layers of clear. I find it helps to warm the stamen cane tip SLIGHTLY before plunging... It should be hot but hard. I'm also trying to find the right heat level for the base bead, so it plunges deep without mushrooming inside, and without blowing a huge hole in the flower. I keep getting discouraged and giving up... I should just practice more on small flowers before experimenting on my huge ones!

For cane, I have been making pre-encased components (and/or using filigrana) and stacking them. I find this keeps each stamen-bit round instead of flat. I still have a long way to go in terms of proportion, though! It's so easy to make things so skinny they fade to nothing...

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2007-05-24 at 1:03pm.