Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-11-16, 1:26pm
I ate a big red candle!

Default Lampworking Directly on Metal

I have an idea for a project. It would involve building a bead base directly on a piece of metal tubing.

Is there a rule of thumb for compatibility when putting hot glass on metal? People build beads directly on skeleton keys, but I have no idea what metal those are made from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2013-11-16, 4:51pm

idk the answer to your question, but looking at where you are from made my laugh my ass off. i've been to Rochester, and what your calling it is fitting lol.
Old 2013-11-16, 5:50pm

The metals you might use for your project have a higher expansion than glass.

In the glass fusing world, this means as a general guideline, glass is slumped over metal and not into a metal container (except for slightly curved surfaces).

So, if both the glass and metal are hot, the metal will shrink more and faster, so the glass will not crack as it shrinks while cooling.

These observations do not use specific facts (i.e., looking up the expansion rates of different metals), but I do not believe they indicate there are any restrictions for glass on metal.
Old 2013-11-16, 6:17pm

I make pins and such directly on the mandrels.
Depending on the project you might be better off with another technique.
chamlevé, cloisonné, or another enamel technique.

Old 2013-11-16, 9:46pm
Dynamic Duo

Haven't done it in awhile, but I used to make lots of beads directly on short lengths of copper tubing. Cut the tubes in short lengths, filed down the edges, placed on whet mandrel with enough release to hold it in place - let it dry, clean of all release on surface of copper, and proceed as normal. When using transparents, the copper would turn a wonderful bright red.

Old 2013-11-17, 7:40am
addicted to dichro

What flaming fools said, copper tubing works but I'm not sure about other metals. Skeleton key beads are usually dipped in bead release first so that the bead can spin on them. You also have to be careful what metals you put in a torch flame as anything galvanized or zinc can make toxic fumes. This may be the case with other metals too and I know that many metals are mixed with lead including brass. Steel is safe though.

Old 2013-11-17, 7:45am
Glass-aholic

I say try it. If it does not work, use bead release , clean it then glue it to the metal after in the se place you would have had it.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2013-11-17, 2:19pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

if you try it let us know how it turns out.

Old 2013-11-19, 10:46am
Scientific Glass Girl

http://www.amazon.com/Glass---metal-...+metal+sealing

Old 2013-11-19, 11:02am

Rochester used to be a nice place until Kodak polluted the river and lake. since they are gone now I wonder if that has improved? Sort of like Buffalo - alot of manufacturing.

Old 2013-11-19, 11:23am
Uh Oh....

Brass tubing doesn't work that well. I did something similar with brass and I had crackage on every piece within a week of when I made them.

Old 2013-11-19, 11:33am

I wonder if perhaps that a round tube has alot more shrinking away from the glass than perhaps a flat piece.

Old 2013-11-19, 2:24pm
Dynamic Duo

Found a picture of some of the beads made directly on copper tubing, back in 2007. These were just clear glass on the tubing, then with murrain added.

Old 2013-11-19, 2:25pm

cool. I wonder what the gauge of the tubing is. that can be a factor also.

Old 2013-11-19, 5:26pm
Queen of the milo field

I've made items on regular construction nails w/no problem or cracking on ones from 3 years ago.

dj