Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2017-04-21, 10:22am

Default Bead Release Problem

3 weeks ago I ordered 2 large (16 oz) bottles of FF bead Release regular. When I went to use one of them the bead release was a thin as water so I thought if I left the bottle open and stirred it every day it would thicken up. Well it's bee 3 weeks and it still as thin as water, runs right off the mandrel. I've let it dry on the mandrel and went to use it and the second it hit the flame it turned to crumbles and fell off the mandrel. OK here is the question.

Can I put this thin stuff in a bowl and nuke it for a few seconds to see if it will thicken up?

I did try to contact Robin Foster re: this problem however any link I can find to contact her is not usable.
Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2017-04-21, 12:26pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I had some problems with the FF smooth and tuff....I pm'd Robin about it. Got a replacement bottle, and it is also falling off the mandrels. Have lost quite a few nice beads. I was using distilled water in the smooth and tuff. She said use regular water ( although you don't have the problem of too thick.) which hasn't worked either. I don't know what to do now, because I loved FF bead release. If you pm her on here, you should get a response. Hope you find out something to do that will keep the release on the mandrel and will share with me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2017-04-21, 12:37pm
Slogan Challenged...

Was it vinegar or apple cider vinegar....I read on FB tips & techniques that adding a little to the release makes it thicken up nicely. Sorry you are having trouble.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2017-05-23, 1:41pm
addicted to dichro

I'm having the same exact problem with a jar I just opened. I have wasted over an hour trying to mix it to a useable consistency made it as thick as I possibly could and it is running right down the mandrel every time.

Old 2017-05-23, 1:46pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

My e-mail is robin@ fosterfireglass. com - remove the spaces please.

If you put vinegar in my release it will ruin it.
Old 2017-05-30, 4:42pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Also: if you use regular tap water you need to dissolve a TUMs antacid tablet in it first.
Old 2017-05-30, 8:33pm
Phill

Aye, and don't use 'softened water' for bead release or plants.

Too much salt will build up in potted plant soil and I think it messes with the chemistry of the bead release as well.