Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-09-25, 1:17pm

Default Blowing beads with double helix glass

I have just learned to blow COE 104 glass with a blowpipe. I am wondering if anybody has used double helix glass as a base, reduced it, and blown it or even if this is possible. If it is, when would you strike/reduce and encase it, before or after blowing? Thanks.
Old 2015-09-25, 6:28pm
Slogan Challenged...

DH glass can be blown and used for shards. I haven't seen it encased and blown but I suspect it would be hard to keep the effects. It would also depend on the size of what you are making. Are you thinking ornaments or blown beads?

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2015-09-25, 7:18pm

I have blown shards of DH glass and reduced them after applying to the bead. Haven't tried reducing and encasing before blowing. It's an interesting idea but I suspect that as the glass expands you might lose the effect.Sounds like something to try.

Georgia
Old 2015-09-25, 9:06pm
da General

By the time you heat the glass enough to blow, you would have erased all the reduction effects with the heat. I'd recommend reducing the silver glass after blowing.

You may experiment encasing striking silver glass and strike it through the clear as you blow it, however.

|
|
|
|
Old 2015-09-26, 7:03am
Glass-aholic

I'm used to use it all the time! Reduction should be your very last step unless your encasing and then it might be tricky. Striking can be tricky but is easier with thinner glass, but harder to control, so there has to be balance. I used to do this cool thing where I taped a clear stringer to a reduction Rod, and laid my glass in a reduction flame twisting as I went this encased partially as it went leaving a really cool faux boro effect. You have to work really cool through the the entire process or you will burn out the reduction it's super fun, and works really really well on a HH

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: