LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-10-07, 8:36am
Molten Glass Addict

Default Anyone have a tutorial on how to make an Armadillo bead?

The armadillo bead is something I saw on trollbeads.com: http://trollbeads.com/site/trollbead...kt.asp?id=2390

I thought for sure this technique was in one of my books, but alas, I cannot find anything on it.

I have made some attempts at the "slumping" but nothing has worked. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me in my younger days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2007-10-07, 9:15am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Here's my guess:

light sky blue base bead - made in a small tube shape.
five largish dots of light sky blue
on top of each dot of light sky blue, place a dot of lime green next to a dot of light aqua transparent, so that when melted in, it becomes a half and half dot.
Melt the dots but not the base bead and heat until they slump around the bead.
Basically, you let the bead gravity swirl. Get it to the point where everthing is molten and then let it slump a bit.

This is an example of a bead that is way easier to show than to describe.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2007-10-07, 12:30pm
Molten Glass Addict

Thanks Lori, I tried to let gravity do it's job before, but I just made a mess. I'll keep trying.

THANKS!!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-10-12, 6:23am
SCIENCE Teacher!

oh shoot! I thought these would be real ones! I just got back from Texas where I saw the classic roadkill armadillo.
Attached Images

Old 2007-10-12, 7:05am
Glass Addict

Robin, My husband calls those roadkill armadillos opossum on the half shell.

Old 2007-10-12, 9:10am

Default Bead

I learned to make those at my first glass bead class at Bullseye. You actually make stripes of colors across the bead not dots. Then heat one area really hot and pause and start turning. That should give you what you are looking for.
Old 2007-10-12, 10:04am
Molten Glass Addict

Which way do you turn? away? Might be a dumb question, but I haven't had enough coffee yet. haha

fosterfire, you're funny!!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2007-10-13, 9:05am
Glass-aholic

I think either way should work. Just make sure that you are only turning in ine direction untill you achive the desired effect. If you turn in the other direction you will start to undo what you started.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-10-14, 9:38am
i burnt my wookiee

also, if you twirl your mandrel on a marver (insted of 'walking' the mandrel across the marver, twirl it against the marver in one place) if the glass is soupy in the middle of the bead more than the ends it will slide into the slumped design. you'll have to re-round out the bead after you've drug out the design you like, but this method will help you keep a rounder bead if you're finding that the slumping method is giving you wonky beads that you can't keep round.

Help keep Lampwork Etc. alive and well, donate via paypal at
Old 2007-10-14, 9:55am
<--- Time traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
oh shoot! I thought these would be real ones! I just got back from Texas where I saw the classic roadkill armadillo.
I was going to say something about starting with an armadillo pancake and a bicycle pump...
Old 2010-03-03, 10:54am

This is an old thread....but I found it. And just to continue, my slumps are ending up next to each other, not overlapped, like they are supposed to be. There is something mathematical that I am not getting!

Old 2010-03-03, 3:51pm
Glass-aholic

i am wondering if you use the method that makes it looks like it is cut into.... I have no idea how to do this really, but I am thinking it has something to do with a razor, and it looks very armadillo ish. I know its vague!!!

I was thinking that you could make some dots (fairly close together) and squish them into like 3D flower petals and then push them down to lay them on top of each other. I dont know how this would work. You would probably need mini mashers. IT theoretically create a ))))))) pattern that you are looking for.

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-03-03, 5:11pm
Unmedicated since '62

search for roly poly bead tut

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-03-03, 5:12pm
The Forgetful Beadmaker

Hey Patti!

I'm a little lost here, can you show a pic of what we're talking about? The link at the top is too old. Sounds like baleen or pleats or something in between?
"The standard for lower-risk products for use by current smokers," argues the American Association of Public Health Physicians, "should be the hazard posed by cigarettes, not a pharmaceutical safety standard." Telling smokers they may not use e-cigarettes until they're approved by the FDA is like telling a floundering swimmer not to climb aboard a raft because it might have a leak.
Old 2010-03-03, 5:58pm
I speak Murrini!

You guys KNOW Anouk is getting ready to publish her Armadillo Bead Tutorial, right? She's just announced it, within the last month or so, here:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=155128

It's different from the Roly Poly, which I have and really LOVE too!

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of this one, though, two fold:

1. I know I'll be doing it RIGHT!
2. And I'd like to give Anouk a little profit for sharing this amazing technique with us!

I only hope I can do them half as well as she does!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-03-03, 6:16pm
The Forgetful Beadmaker

Oh! That's an armadillo bead. I never knew what that technique was called! LOL!
"The standard for lower-risk products for use by current smokers," argues the American Association of Public Health Physicians, "should be the hazard posed by cigarettes, not a pharmaceutical safety standard." Telling smokers they may not use e-cigarettes until they're approved by the FDA is like telling a floundering swimmer not to climb aboard a raft because it might have a leak.
Old 2010-03-03, 8:20pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janetda View Post
Hey Patti!

I'm a little lost here, can you show a pic of what we're talking about? The link at the top is too old. Sounds like baleen or pleats or something in between?
what troll calls armadillo is the roly poly technique

Old 2010-03-03, 11:31pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
what troll calls armadillo is the roly poly technique
Oh, oops! Sorry...and thanks for clarifying Deb! What a dweeb I am...I saw Troll and thought of TrollLover (aka Anouk)! Crap, I'm getting old...FAST!

Old 2010-03-03, 11:36pm
I speak Murrini!

Here's the Roly Poly Tutorial thread and a link to buy it from Laura: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=roly+poly

I love making these! I also started a thread in Gallery to show results: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ight=roly+poly

Sorry again about the mix up!

De

Old 2010-03-04, 5:58am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Oh, oops! Sorry...and thanks for clarifying Deb! What a dweeb I am...I saw Troll and thought of TrollLover (aka Anouk)! Crap, I'm getting old...FAST!
you crack me up

the only reason i know is that my daughter had a troll bracelet and has the blue and white armadillo bead

Old 2010-03-05, 2:31pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
I was going to say something about starting with an armadillo pancake and a bicycle pump...
these are the times i wish we had "like" buttons like facebook!!!!!!

Old 2010-03-05, 2:34pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I accidentally made a Roly Poly/Armadillo but making a really tall disk of clear over a dotty base bead. The clear got wonky and I really had to rotate it in slowly in the flame, letting gravity move the glass...I got this:

Old 2010-03-05, 3:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

What do you mean by "a dotty base bead", Amber?

Beautiful bead!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-05, 3:58pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Tiny spacer with dots in the middle, dots left raised then encased.