LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-28, 12:49pm

Default Bad Diamond Clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello to everyone I wanted to start a thread that addresses the problem batch of Diamond Clear that people have recieved. I have got many emails but my email junk blocker is blocking some of them. So if we could start a list of people with contact info so we can send replacments as soon as we can. We know how much of this glass was released so for all you glass beaders looking for free glass do not post.LOL We love all you gals and guys and when you have a problem with our glass then we our self have a problem. Here at Northstar Glass we pride our selfs with the glass that we produce and also back it up when we need to. We all are a big family here and we need to work with each other to better the glass and the community we live in.
Peace Love and Light
Abe Fleishman
Northstar Glass
Old 2008-03-28, 2:27pm
Dichro Addict

I sent you a PM. I got just 1/4 pound of the bad stuff. I'd be more than happy to send it back to you as proof that I got the bad stuff!! If you need my addy, let me know. It was in the PM.
Thanks!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-28, 2:28pm
Gay rights R human rights

Abe,
When was this batch made? I bought mine from Emmanuel at Morretti glass canada and I get nothing but bubbles in it. I dont know if it is from the same batch or not. I ordered it November 2007.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's

Last edited by tiggybubba; 2008-03-28 at 2:34pm.
Old 2008-03-28, 2:53pm

Leslie I am not sure if they received the bad batch I will check to see if that is the answer. There was only 50 lbs of this bad glass sent out.
Abe
Old 2008-03-28, 3:08pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

I have to say yet again kudos for your customer support! You already have my adress and stuff but if you can't find it anymore let me know

Old 2008-03-28, 3:42pm
Gay rights R human rights

Thanks Abe.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-03-28, 8:40pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I"m so glad it's not just me! I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and why my encased beads were cracking. This explains it.
Old 2008-03-28, 8:42pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I received some Diamond Clear from Frantz mid-February, but haven't used it yet. Is there something I can look for in the rods, or should I just go ahead and melt it and see what happens?

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-03-28, 9:00pm
da General

Dang - I need to try out the different batches of Diamond Clear I got! What diameter rods are we talking about, Abe?

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-03-28, 9:44pm
Corgi Cult Member

I received one pound of the bad stuff ordered from R4. Abe I sent you a PM, so you may already have my info.

Thanks for making things right for everyone!

Old 2008-03-28, 10:10pm

I bought a pound from the bulk buy from R4 I get alot of bubbles but I am not real good with incasing so I thought it was from that so could you let me know if that is what the batch was.

Old 2008-03-29, 8:10am
Burning Fingers!

I purchased/received mine from Frantz about 3 weeks ago - is that part of the bad batch?
I pm'd you last night.
Thanks!

/
/
/

Old 2008-03-29, 8:41am

I got 3# of odds from R4 -- placed the order 8/31. I'm fine with the odd diameters and slightly wonky rods, but haven't been pleased with the bubbles, and hope this is the batch you're talking about. Probably have 2 1/2# left that I'd be happy to send you to swap out. Please contact me by pm and tell me where to send other contact info. Thanks for posting about this.

Last edited by beadbroad; 2008-03-29 at 8:46am.
Old 2008-03-29, 4:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
I received some Diamond Clear from Frantz mid-February, but haven't used it yet. Is there something I can look for in the rods, or should I just go ahead and melt it and see what happens?
You can just look at the rods, and see that they are full of tiny bubbles, all through the glass, not just on the surface. If your rods look good, then you should be ok.

Old 2008-04-02, 2:59pm

Please send me PMs with all address info. If you bought any diamond clear over the last 8-12 weeks you are fine.
Abe
Old 2008-04-02, 4:02pm
Dichro Addict

I already sent a PM, but haven't heard anything...I guess I'll send another one.

Old 2008-04-02, 5:22pm
Roo ...

Default Photo of Diamond Clear Rod

Could someone please tell me if this is the problem being discussed? I ordered a pound of Diamond Clear from Frantz on March 6th, and this is what I received. This discussion made me check my glass (this rod was cleaned first):

I'm a newbie and this is my first purchase of Precision Clear so have nothing to go by. I've not melted any of it yet (not yet worthy!). I'd like to know if this is normal, or not, before I think I have some of the problem batch.

Any help appreciated!

Regards,
- Becky
Old 2008-04-02, 6:05pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

That is what mine looks like too. I haven't jumped on the return band wagon because I don't know if it is supposed to look like that.

Old 2008-04-02, 10:50pm
Corgi Cult Member

You will know if you melt some because little bubbles emerge no matter what you try to do to stop them.

Old 2008-04-03, 4:49am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Yeah I am getting tons of bubbles, but I always assume it's cuz I suck at encasing.

Old 2008-04-03, 5:59pm

Thanks Kimberly!!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-03, 7:25pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I don't know if I have any of the 'bad" clear or not, but I do love this clear. I thought I would tell you how I work it. I rarely have problems with Diamond Clear.

I work this clear very, very hot. When the flame first hits the glass, you will get what looks like haze or scum. It isn't. Keep heating it with a neutral to ioxdizing flame, fairly focussed, very hot and the haze will disappear. You need to keep this clear very hot until you are ready to encase. I love it for encasing very long thin beads. I need to get the tip of the clear rod WHITE HOT in order to get the particular effect I want, and so far, this is the only clear that lets me do this with no bubbles or scum at all. So, after you try working cooler, try working it much, much hotter. You might be surprised.
Thanks Kimberly! Does your clear have all the bubbles in the rod too? I have some system 96 glass..champagne transparent and straw that have the same type of bubbling and usually they work out fine. I still suck at encasing..Probably why 99% of my beads are opaque.

Old 2008-04-03, 7:26pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Try working cooler...
Thanks to you too Paula. I am going to play with it a little more. I'd hate to just use it as a base at this price.

Old 2008-04-03, 7:27pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

BTW, Abe, I do have a question...does this clear have silver in it? I am assuming it does because my flame turns the same purple when I use it as a silver glass.

Old 2008-04-03, 8:14pm
Corgi Cult Member

Here are pictures of the batch I received that bubbles no matter what I do. This glass was cleaned really well before I took the photo. You can see in the photos that the problems aren't just tiny little spots. When I melted the end of a rod into a large gather lines of tiny bubbles develop inside the gather. It isn't like scum that can be removed, it is inside the gather itself.

Old 2008-04-03, 8:22pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

All of my diamond clear looks like that.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-04-03, 9:21pm

My batch is so clear it looks like water...

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-04, 8:25am

Default TAG Super Clear

Air bubbles in the glass are not causing the boiling problem. They are two separate issues. A small air bubble will usually just "pop" out as you work the glass. Boiling is a more sinister problem that has to do with glass chemistry. However a more "boiling prone" glass can sometimes be worked carefully and the boiling minimized. Of course this is not ideal. How have you all found my TAG Super Clear to act? I know it's not cheap, but is it good? Inquiring minds want to know..............

Paul Trautman
Old 2008-04-04, 8:35am
Pugs rule

I bought 1lb from R4 2 or 3 months ago that looks just like Becky's pic. I PM'd you with my info.

Old 2008-04-04, 9:44am
Roo ...

Hi Paula,

When you say your Diamond Clear is "so clear it looks like water", do you mean in the rod, or when melted? I'm still trying to figure out what I have ... I have no "known good" Diamond Clear to compare to, just the batch I bought ...

Regards,
- Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
My batch is so clear it looks like water...

Paula