Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-07-03, 12:00am
Catnip Pusher

Default Tutorial Reviews?

Is there anyplace where we review or can read reviews on tutorials? I see some I have considered purchasing, but I'm starting to wish for some user feedback on these things. I feel as if we are relying too much on the descriptions of the person selling them, and naturally they will make it sound wonderful. Might be good to know if a tutorial was hard to follow, confusing, or in some way didn't live up to expectations.

Aimee
Old 2010-07-03, 1:32am
Entropy increasing....

You can check their feedback on Etsy if they sell them there.
Old 2010-07-03, 6:07am

That it is a good question, I will like to read good reviews on tutorials like we can find for books, something more then simply feedback. May be some magazine can have a little space for that.

I don't know if we can find a article on what are the criteria to recognize a good tutorial ?

Lise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Glass beadmaking since 2006.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-07-03, 6:27am
da General

Unfortunately with a small community like ours where we all "know" each other, most will never write a review that's not positive.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-07-03, 7:44am

Also, check in the Gallery for threads showing results of things made from tutorials. The more posts, the more people purchased and benefited from the tutorial.

Old 2010-07-03, 9:28am
Catnip Pusher

That's a very good point Hayley. And Rachel - that's a good idea to check for Gallery threads!

Aimee
Old 2010-07-03, 10:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
Also, check in the Gallery for threads showing results of things made from tutorials. The more posts, the more people purchased and benefited from the tutorial.

May or may not be true. Many people buy (and love) tutorials but never post about them. This seems to hold true for the more expensive, intermediate to advanced tutorials.

I don't think a thread that reviews the tutorials is a particularly good idea on this forum. There is so much competition and people that don't like each other here. I would worry that some people would have their feelings hurt (whether on purpose or not, doesn't matter). Yes, beadmakers DO eat their own on the forums.

If there is a tutorial you are interested in why not ask about it and see if people who bought it respond? If you request private responses maybe people will feel safer responding truthfully.
Old 2010-07-03, 10:51am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
That's a very good point Hayley. And Rachel - that's a good idea to check for Gallery threads!

Aimee
I think that's a great idea too.

Old 2010-07-03, 12:05pm
I speak Murrini!

I'd love anyone who has purchased my Skull Murrini Tutorial to post a review of it...good or bad! I just wanna know what they think of it and how I can modify or improve on it - or if it was helpful to them in creating not only Skull Murrini but (as I try and describe in the Tutorial) any complex image murrini as was my aim.

Bring it...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-07-03, 2:21pm

Aimee, that is a good idea. Especially when they are $25 each vs something cheaper.
Old 2010-07-03, 4:06pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Unfortunately with a small community like ours where we all "know" each other, most will never write a review that's not positive.

I agree. There are a couple I got that I was less than thrilled with. But would never post about for fear of being flamed. (and don't PM me, I'm not saying a word) None of them have been awful but a couple were not outstanding.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-07-03, 4:53pm
Karen James

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
I would love it, too! A good review can go a long way towards helping the author improve and write better tutorials!
Kimberly - Based on the tut you did re: your Seahorse bead for the Flow Magazine, your a natural!

Amy Trescott's Rainbow Bead tut was also a wonderful tutorial. Each step included a very clear picture and a lot of detailed instruction. I was able to make that bead really well on the second attempt. I also learned alot of other tips that she included that I have used in other ways.

Mary Lockwood's first tut was written in the same manner...the Jellyfish tut. I would be willing to bet the rest are just as good because that one was jam packed with info and was one of those tuts that I walked away feeling like I got more than my money's worth.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-07-04, 1:53pm

I have bought lots of tuts and I can honestly say that there hasn't been one that hasn't shown me at least one thing that was new or a different way of presenting an old idea. One thing I look for in deciding whether to buy a tut or not is knowing the make of glass used in the tut. The makes and shades of glass available in the UK are somewhat limited.
Old 2010-07-04, 3:14pm

I have written some magazine articles and a while ago, a book. They are more subject to review than tutorials, since the reviewers can be more anonymous out in the big internet world. It is only natural that critical reviews sting a little, but they seem to fall into three categories, two of which are very helpful going forward, and don't really have to hurt anyone's feelings. (The first kind is just malicious, someone with an axe to grind, you just have to ignore that.) The important two kinds are those where the reader/beadmaker is struggling with something, and you, as author, have the ability to reach out and lend a hand to help them through it - awesome, OR the reader points out something that just isn't crystal clear, they help you see it from another point of view, and thus improve your work the next time - invaluable.

I wish we could have a review function here or at the ISGB forum. One thing that might work is that they would all be anonymous but they would be subject to review by a moderator who is neutral - maybe someone who doesn't write tutorials or maybe doesn't sell their beads so their not in competition with anyone. Just my two cents.....Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2010-07-04, 4:04pm
And silence is golden

I recently purchased some tutorials where the authors offered BOGO or 50% off. I must say that I was very impressed with Anne's Batik and Tribal techniques. These are wonderful tutorials for beginners and intermediate alike.

I haven't had the time to look at the Jellyfish tutorial by Mary Lockwood yet, but it looks like a winner.

Fantasy Butterfly by Carla Beyerlein is nicely written. I haven't done anything with it because I'm lacking in the tool department yet.

Seascapes and Island Waves is a nice tutorial for beginner and intermediate.

Laurie's Pansy tut is another nice beginner tutorial. Still haven't used it yet.

I have Amy's Storm tut. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising.

Kerri Fuhr's Raven Tut is nicely written. Looks like alot of PPP involved!

Last edited by Shrimp; 2010-07-04 at 7:19pm.
Old 2010-07-04, 4:22pm

I have bought a LOT of tutorials and I love each and every one of them!
Old 2010-07-05, 4:50pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I have purchased a lot of tutorials too. I have not been dissappointed in any of them and I have practiced and used most of them so far.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-07-05, 5:50pm
MacGalver

I would love to hear reviews and or constructive criticism of my button mandrel tut! Reader comments can be invaluable as Jeri commented above, and I'm always looking for ways to improve my presentation.

Jo

Old 2010-07-05, 6:05pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I have only been disappointed by two I have purchased. This is not bad since I have purchased far to many for my brain to process.

Kandice writes beautiful tutorials that I would have purchased just for the photos.

Amy's storm tut is beautiful and easy to follow with wonderful little tips spread though out.

I have not purchased Kimberly's tut but my friends rave about it.

Every tutorial I have purchased I have learned something from even the ones I didn't like sometimes it's more like they don't like me LOL (this is user error not writer error). The only reason for me not liking a tut is if the supplies or glass are not available anymore.

Old 2010-07-09, 8:18am
Shelarious

I have waited a while before buying tutorials and then checked on what photos others post and their comments- I find this a good 'review' process for me. As a result, I have only had extremely positive experiences with the tutorials I have purchased.

Old 2010-09-12, 5:53pm
WildBird Beads

Default My Contribution to reviews

Because I wish I had someplace to read reviews before purchase...
Remember, I have only been working with glass for about 6 years and currently for the last year, really enjoy just making buttons, these tutorials are from late 2008 to spring of 2010. I probably have more but they were on my laptop that died one day and I have not been able to access them since.

Laurie Donette – I love all of Lauries tutorials.

Candice King-Palgut Christmas ornament tutorial
This was the tutorial of Kings. It was huge and covered sooo much. I have tried time and time again but this tut is for those who have mastered the glass tube. I… unfortunately have not. )-: For this kind of glass work, I really need some one-on-one time with an instructor.

Amy Trescott’s Rainbow Petal tutorial
Excellent tutorial with clear illustrations and instructions for applying colors. Wish there would have been some more color combinations to try included.
And I successfully created this bead the first time I tried, although it was a little wonky.

Mary Lockwood Sculptural Birds tutorial
Excellent tutorial with clear instructions and I was able to really make these birds! This is one of my favorites.

Kimberly Affleck – Encased Florals
This is a very good tutorial for those who are trying to learn how to encase florals.

Cynthia Tilker – Keeper of the Thicket
Excellent illustrations of close-up views and steps. I haven’t tried to make a face yet, but when I do, this tutorial will be the one I choose to practice with.

Kerri Fuhr
Tapestry Scrollwork tutorial
Excellent tutorial with excellent illustrations of exact movements and application of stringer. I just think I must drink too much coffee and have not been able to reproduce anything close.
Dragonfly tutorial – Same good quality tutorial, and I might not have been able to make the dragonfly exactly like Kerri’s but I did use the techniques with other winged designs and really enjoyed it.

Marilyn Peraza Making a Rose Murrini tutorial
It’s tough to say if it was just me or the tutorial, but I really struggled with this one. The illustrations did not show too many closeup views as well as the rest of the process. My first try produced a huge amount of glass and very few petals. My next try was a little better but nothing close to the pictures.

Amy Kinsch - Taking Reduction Glass by Storm
I didn’t have a lot of success with this technique. There could have been several reasons for this. But in my opinion only, I think with so many different types of silvered glass and inconsistency in production batches, amoung other things, this would have to be one of the hardest tutorials to try and create. I think my problem is that when one uses an oxygen generator with silver glasses, you just never know what you’re going to get, kinda like a ”‘box of chocolates”.
Anouk Jasperse - Making Silver Glass Sing.
There just wasn’t enough information in this tutorial and the illustrations were hard to see clearly what was happening and more illustrations were needed.

Jo Rebeka - Button Maker Mandrel System
I don’t have anything bad to say about this tut, I just didn’t have the time to try the tutorial so I didn’t even try the technique.

Last edited by WildBird; 2010-09-14 at 6:58pm. Reason: correction
Old 2010-09-12, 6:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlartist View Post
I would love to hear reviews and or constructive criticism of my button mandrel tut! Reader comments can be invaluable as Jeri commented above, and I'm always looking for ways to improve my presentation.

Jo
I was very impressed with the button mandrel tut and since the making of the mandrel holders was so inexpensive they were made right away and I used them right away. The directions were perfect and I printed them out and I made all of them except for the ones I didn't think I would ever use (only a few sizes I didn't make).

At the time the tutorial came out I was in need of mandrels that had a wider gap between the two mandrels and that is why I just had to have it. I really wanted to post pictures of the cute things I made with them but the pics were lousy. I have since given one of the beads to my grandson and the one left wasn't the best one so I'd rather wait till I make more and take pics and post them.

I LOVE this tutorial, it was the exact one I needed to make one of my ideas a reality.
Old 2010-09-12, 6:37pm
MacGalver

Thanks, Carol, I'm so glad you found the button tutorial useful!

Jo

Old 2010-09-12, 6:41pm

You're welcome, Jo, now that I am thinking about it, I want to make some more beads SOON using these mandrels so I can show you what I'm talking about .

PS...They were very easy to hold to make the beads, not bulky or awkward whatsoever.
Old 2010-09-12, 7:15pm

critique
critiqued
Old 2010-09-12, 7:23pm
Jacqueline Parkes

What the hell?

Harsh, and you even revealed a secret in a tutorial for all the world to read and hurt her future sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBird View Post
Because I wish I had someplace to read reviews before purchase...
Remember, I have only been working with glass for about 6 years and currently for the last year, really enjoy just making buttons, these tutorials are from late 2008 to spring of 2010. I probably have more but they were on my laptop that died one day and I have not been able to access them since.

Laurie Donette – I love all of Lauries tutorials.

Candice King-Palgut Christmas ornament tutorial
This was the tutorial of Kings. It was huge and covered sooo much. I have tried time and time again but this tut is for those who have mastered the glass tube. I… unfortunately have not. )-: For this kind of glass work, I really need some one-on-one time with an instructor.

Amy Trescott’s Rainbow Petal tutorial
Excellent tutorial with clear illustrations and instructions for applying colors. Wish there would have been some more color combinations to try included.
And I successfully created this bead the first time I tried, although it was a little wonky.

Mary Lockwood Sculptural Birds tutorial
Excellent tutorial with clear instructions and I was able to really make these birds! This is one of my favorites.

Kimberly Affleck – Encased Florals
Very much a beginners tutorial. Too much information/pictures for someone who is beyond beginning.

Cynthia Tilker – Keeper of the Thicket
Excellent illustrations of close-up views and steps. I haven’t tried to make a face yet, but when I do, this tutorial will be the one I choose to practice with.

Kerri Fuhr
Tapestry Scrollwork tutorial
Excellent tutorial with excellent illustrations of exact movements and application of stringer. I just think I must drink too much coffee and have not been able to reproduce anything close.
Dragonfly tutorial – Same good quality tutorial, and I might not have been able to make the dragonfly exactly like Kerri’s but I did use the techniques with other winged designs and really enjoyed it.

Marilyn Peraza Making a Rose Murrini tutorial
It’s tough to say if it was just me or the tutorial, but I really struggled with this one. The illustrations did not show too many closeup views as well as the rest of the process. My first try produced a huge amount of glass and very few petals. My next try was a little better but nothing close to the pictures.

Amy Kinsch - Taking Reduction Glass by Storm
I didn’t have a lot of success with this technique. There could have been several reasons for this. But in my opinion only, I think with so many different types of silvered glass and inconsistency in production batches, amoung other things, this would have to be one of the hardest tutorials to try and create. I think my problem is that when one uses an oxygen generator with silver glasses, you just never know what you’re going to get, kinda like a ”‘box of chocolates”.
Anouk Jasperse - Making Silver Glass Sing.
There just wasn’t enough information in this tutorial and the illustrations were hard to see clearly what was happening and more illustrations were needed.

Last edited by gemsinbloom; 2010-09-13 at 5:10am.
Old 2010-09-12, 7:24pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Just for the record, your tutorial is very well written and made it easy for the beginner and intermediate alike to achieve successful results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Hmmmmmmm. Not sure how to respond to this. I just wanted to be sure no one felt I didn't include enough information or that there weren't enough photographs.

The tutorial was not intended for beginning lampworkers - rather it was aimed at intermediate lampworkers. I guess I included too much information. I am very sorry you were disappointed.

A good critique sometimes offers suggestions on how to improve. Do have any suggestions other than to offer less information and fewer photos? I really do want people to be pleased with their purchase.

Old 2010-09-12, 7:30pm
Jacqueline Parkes

No improvements needed in my eyes.

Old 2010-09-12, 7:53pm

I don't believe that reviews should reflect one's inabilities to accomplish what has been demonstrated in the tutorials provided.

Maybe some guidelines on what to include and what to omit in constructive critiques would be in order here?

I think the tutorials are challenging but I know that it takes me more than one attempt or sometimes even two tries to make something remotely similar to the creations that have probably taken the artists who share their knowledge and techniques a long time to perfect themselves.
Old 2010-09-12, 11:26pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carols Glass View Post
I don't believe that reviews should reflect one's inabilities to accomplish what has been demonstrated in the tutorials provided.

Maybe some guidelines on what to include and what to omit in constructive critiques would be in order here?

I think the tutorials are challenging but I know that it takes me more than one attempt or sometimes even two tries to make something remotely similar to the creations that have probably taken the artists who share their knowledge and techniques a long time to perfect themselves.
This.

In my experience I have yet to purchase a tut I thought was poorly planned or rushed. It looks to me like the people who take the time to make these tutorials for us expend every effort to make them understandable and every single person I've purchased from has stated in their emails included with the tut download something to the effect of "If you have any problems or questions don't hesitate to email me!"

IMHO, if a person has a problem with the tutorial and they don't email the author how can the author help? If I had a question I would certainly ask. My only issues are finding all the time I want to explore the techniques offered and master them sufficiently to take them into my own work and utilize them.

I can understand what it is to be hesitant with $25.00 or so that you've saved to purchase a tutorial. In all honesty I find reviews useless. I mean, have you ever read the book reviews on Amazon? Most books have a gamut of input from "I love this" to "this absolutely stinks".

I say look at the beads you love. Find the techniques that call to you. Buy that author's tutorial. That is what I've done and it has served me well, I have no regrets. In fact I am extremely grateful to have the option to buy what I consider mini-classes in glass and other techniques because my schedule just doesn't allow the time for standard lampworking classes.