Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-25, 9:33pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

I make junk beads! They're lots of fun and you never know what you're going to get! Of course...........I have to be careful doing this when I've been working 104, 96 and 33 simultaneously.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deb
Old 2011-03-26, 5:47am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have a metal strap that is screwed onto the 2x4 studs in my shop. There are also 2x4 "braces" between the studs all the ay around my shop. So I have place wide mouth mason jars on those mini shelves and the strapping keeps them from getting knocked off. I have stringer sorted into them.

One jar is stuff for florals, stripped stringers, one is twisties, one is all silver glass stringers etc etc etc.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-03-26, 6:12am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post
i have a test tube holder.. its got like 10 or 12 tubes in it... and i put the stringer colors i use all the time. like, copper green, lt ivory, sis, clear, ask green, ochre, etc. then i know if i pull too much, it can go somewhere safe and i'll be able to use it.
Me too and my test tubes are AliMade

~

Old 2011-03-26, 6:13am
sunscreen me baby

Bea PM me your address and I'll send you a box full of shorts. I keep trying to use them up but I think you would do a better job.

~

Old 2011-03-26, 11:18am
Crispy Critter

I keep all my stringers until they're about 1" long before throwing them out. They're stored in jars of different heights and I keep normal colors separate from the hard to identify colors (strikers, silvered glass, lt and dk ivory, dense black, etc). Someone suggested straws and I've begun using those too.

Old 2011-03-26, 11:26am
Loving learning

Throwing them away?!?!?!?!?

Hands over ears (or over eyes in this case) La la la la la la la la la la la la.....

Can't listen!!!
Old 2011-03-26, 8:25pm
Lampworkaholic!

Take a class with Melanie Moertel. Or just study her beads. You will never wonder what to do with stringers again.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-04-01, 7:22am

what would you do with straws?
Old 2011-04-01, 10:12pm
Crispy Critter

Write the color on the straws and store the stringers in them.

Old 2011-04-02, 9:58am
Triumphantly Knit!

Well, what did you do with them????
I finally, about 8 days ago figured out how to pull a decent stringer. 2 days later I took a class on stringers and twisties and have been having a blast pulling all kinds of things.
I'd love to see what you did with them and I'm gonna look up that Melanie person someone wrote about.
angel blessings everyone
Rowyn

PS...Oh MY!!! Melanie Moertel is a genius...back to dots and lines, wow, just wow.

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible

Last edited by 2tumblingdragonz; 2011-04-02 at 10:01am. Reason: looked up melanie
Old 2011-04-04, 7:57am

Well, I started this thread, and then my computer went kaput. Some really good ideas here! I have made some beads with random stringer designs. They were so-so. I will try Tom's idea, and layer the bead with clear between the stringer. That would be more interesting then a bunch of stringer on the surface. I think I will try to separate them into color groups. It will still be hard to tell what glass some of them are. Like Moretti purple trans and psyche, trans blue and triton, nyx, picasso and kronos, aqua and electra, trans green and gaia and pandora. I'll have to look for those ice cube trays, too. That is a great idea! What I thought I would do with them first is see if I can clean them in something first. A colander maybe? I have one made out of screening material. Or maybe some paper toweling in a baking pan and fill it with soapy water. Then I could lift the toweling out and rinse them off. I've heard a lot about beads of courage. How does one get involved in that?
Cate
Old 2011-04-04, 10:09am
dances with ideas...

Hi Cate,

There's a forum devoted to BOC. Check out the top thread. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Also, sometimes you can see a little glint in the silver glasses to help tell them apart.

Old 2011-04-04, 10:10am
dances with ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdd View Post
Write the color on the straws and store the stringers in them.
I like this idea! I have the ice cube trays, but the stringers are still vulnerable to being snapped by clumbsy kitties or humans.

Old 2011-04-04, 8:38pm
Debra Clutter

All this talk about stringers made me want to clean my work space! I decided to use my left over stringers, shorts and twist to make tiny, tiny beads on those tiny thin mandrels. This was actually a lot of fun! I will post a picture when I get time.

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Last edited by dclutter64; 2011-04-05 at 12:07pm.
Old 2011-04-04, 10:40pm

I gradually create more stringers than I can use. I start each torching session with the stringers I need to pull and sometimes pull more than I use. Sometimes I have to stop and pull more half way through. Anyway I always end up with more stringers and twisties and now murrini pulls than I can use.

So ... eventually when my jar is full ... into the garbage they go! They're never as useful after I've finished using them - I rarely know exactly what they are and are frustration waiting to happen. GET RID OF THEM!

Old 2011-04-05, 7:12am
Normal is Boring!!

garbage- no patients or space for the mess- sad but honest!

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2011-04-07, 12:42pm
Triumphantly Knit!

garbage????? I burn thru glass so quickly just trying to learn even and round. I'll pay shipping for anybody's 'garbage'...shorts, stringers, tips/ends...
I've started putting my pulled stringers in straws, it's a great idea.
garbage???It hurts me to throw out the broken beads with bead release on them...I try to pick out the little pieces that don't have any br on them from the quench jar.
it's like the bone bag in the freezer, trying to live and learn a craft on disability for income makes ya really creative...the trash truck is outside and glass just broke, I'm gonna run out and sweep it up...just kidding, but the trash guy just broke something big and glassy.

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible