Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-28, 3:31pm
Storm Queen

Default *Pity Party* Lauscha purple cracks

Just thought I'd invite you all to my pity party. I'm already having a kinda crappy day and now all my work yesterday is ruined. I haven't used my opaque Lauscha purple in over a year because of crazing cracks I got but I thought I'd use it as a surface decoration, work it extra hot, saturate it with heat and put it in an extra hot kiln (1100 degrees) and baby it through annealing. I did 5 beads the other day and all were fine (turns out one does have a small crack) and then did 9 yesterday. Most of the cracks are so hard to see, I had to be in direct sunlight turning the beads this way and that and then I could see very minute cracking. These are the worst...I figured the one in the middle didn't need any arrows...

The base is primarily Moretti transparent violet ink blue but I did but up some Lauscha opaque purple on some of the ends and those cracks were the worst. Does anyone use this glass successfully? And if you do do you check it really good for small minute cracks? I'm tossing my Lauscha opaque purple unless anyone wants it for free....just pay postage.

Amy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-28, 4:37pm
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

That sux big. I don't think I've ever had crazing with my Lauscha opaque purple (the one that is perfect with Effetre Ink Blue). Wonder why it's doing that to you.
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2006-12-28, 4:41pm
Rose colored glasses…√

What Lauscha purple is that? I was just gifted with a pound of the Hawaiin (spelling?) Purple as my birthday/Christmas present. Looks like a more purplish perwinkle to me.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-12-28, 4:58pm
Storm Queen

Jo-Del renamed it Hawaiian Purple and Lauscha Lady named it Violet-Blue but yes, it's all the same color.

Old 2006-12-28, 5:30pm

ME!!! I want it!!! (I love purple....and I'll just make spacers with it...lol)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-12-28, 5:45pm
mystical cat lover 56

Big Hugs !
Old 2006-12-28, 5:56pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Jo-Del renamed it Hawaiian Purple and Lauscha Lady named it Violet-Blue but yes, it's all the same color.
Well isn't that a boo-freakin'-hiss!?!?!?

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-12-28, 6:05pm
Entropy increasing....

I have some of that purple but I don't know if I have tried to encase it. Maybe I will tonight and see what happens.

I find it hard to photograph for some reason.It always looks blue.
Old 2006-12-28, 6:08pm

I think that happened to Kaye last year with a gorgeous set of coral & purple beads she made with that purple too...they all did that cracking/crazing thing...it was sad 'cause they were really pretty...

I *love* that silver on those beads Amy--what is it? (you don't have to tell if you don't want to ). Those are amazingly pretty...so sad they were naughty & cracked .

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2006-12-28, 6:20pm
Storm Queen

Thanks to everyone for coming to my party! The purple is spoken for so thanks for the interest...just don't come cryin' to me when it cracks!

The silver glass is ASK mystic grey. Now don't buy it expecting it to do the metallic thing because it doesn't happen at the torch....it happens in my kiln. The same thing happens with morrocan swirl and desert chamelian and I've seen other beads with morrocan swirl and no metallic sheen on it. I think I just have a magic kiln...I love the silver sheen on the mystic grey! Another reason I was so freakin' sad about these beads. Enough survived to make myself a killer bracelet though.

Old 2006-12-28, 6:25pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Oh man that sux - such pretty beads!
Old 2006-12-28, 6:31pm
one day at a time

I use it with Efftre white and silvered dark ivory stringer, small amounts and on the surface. No problems yet, that I'm aware of! Yikes...this is making me nervous!
Attached Images

Old 2006-12-28, 6:49pm
Formerly SirWatson

I had the same issue with this color after making a set of seafoam and purple beads. I didn't know the color wasn't fully compatible at the time. Now the color just sits there in case I need spacers. LOL!

<><
Old 2006-12-28, 6:51pm
Storm Queen

Pretty beads Stephanie. It may also be a batch thing. This is the first batch that came after that long dry spell when Glassdaddy had been out of purple for 18 months or so. Then he finally got some in and it was this bluish version. I know there have been batches since then and maybe they're fine and maybe they're not. I've had this for a couple years now and only used it three times, twice with disasterous results.

Old 2006-12-28, 9:11pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Pretty beads Stephanie. It may also be a batch thing. This is the first batch that came after that long dry spell when Glassdaddy had been out of purple for 18 months or so. Then he finally got some in and it was this bluish version. I know there have been batches since then and maybe they're fine and maybe they're not. I've had this for a couple years now and only used it three times, twice with disasterous results.
I've had mine for about a year. It looks like periwinkle, only darker and more purpley. Still nervous, lol! I've made a few sets like these and so far no emails! I do keep them lying around for a while before I sell them, so that's a good thing.
Old 2006-12-28, 9:30pm
Storm Queen

I think all the batches since that dry spell look the same, a purpley periwinkle. If you've only had yours a year you may have a newer batch than I do so maybe it is a batch thing...however, I think I'll do without this color from now on!

Old 2006-12-28, 9:43pm
one day at a time

Quote:
I think all the batches since that dry spell look the same, a purpley periwinkle. If you've only had yours a year you may have a newer batch than I do so maybe it is a batch thing...however, I think I'll do without this color from now on!
The only other Lauscha colors I have are a few reds, clear, and some black. I tend to shy away from the glass because of a COE of 102-105??! You would think they would shoot for better compatability within their own line!

I had some of that Lauscha peach a looong time ago and I mixed a cane of Effetre coral and white to make this pretty peach swirl which I put over a base of the Lauscha = crackle city! The damn beads looked like crackle glass!

The rods that I do have other than the purple, I use with frits. I'm too afraid to use other 104 COE glass with it.
Old 2006-12-29, 12:24am
Corgi Cult Member

I seem to have good luck using it with opaque glass, but as soon as transparents are involved the cracking begins. What a shame, your beads were beautiful.

Old 2006-12-29, 12:29am
Storm Queen

Well thanks to everyone for joining my party. I've opened up a couple bottles of whine so drink up...it's on me!

Old 2011-05-24, 6:17pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

I just did 11 beads with that purple and effetre ink blue spots. 9 out of the 11 have very faint cracks too. Sigh...I don't know if I should turn the temp up on the annealing schedule or not. Any one with tips? I have alot of this glass and I have a customer that wants some beads with it.

Janet

Old 2011-05-24, 6:21pm
Storm Queen

If you read my post my kiln was at 1100 degrees and the beads went in glowing.

Old 2011-05-24, 7:44pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
If you read my post my kiln was at 1100 degrees and the beads went in glowing.
Thanks Amy, I did read it but wasn't sure if you had success with the purple after you turned it up to 1100? Can you also put other beads that are not Lauscha in the kiln at the same time that are 104? I also wonder if I didn't use a press if I would have better success with them...it's a strange glass!

Janet

Old 2011-05-24, 7:50pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrgrl View Post
Thanks Amy, I did read it but wasn't sure if you had success with the purple after you turned it up to 1100? Can you also put other beads that are not Lauscha in the kiln at the same time that are 104? I also wonder if I didn't use a press if I would have better success with them...it's a strange glass!

Janet
Those were put in a 1100 degree kiln. I used that temp a lot and I could put most beads in but I usually use a transparent as a base. If you used white or ivory or another pastel as a base you couldn't use that high of a kiln temp because they would probably slump. And you're right, not pressing them could make a difference too. I gave up after those beads. I stopped using Lauscha all together.

Old 2011-05-24, 7:59pm
OBA-Official Bead Addict

Quote:
Those were put in a 1100 degree kiln. I used that temp a lot and I could put most beads in but I usually use a transparent as a base. If you used white or ivory or another pastel as a base you couldn't use that high of a kiln temp because they would probably slump. And you're right, not pressing them could make a difference too. I gave up after those beads. I stopped using Lauscha all together.
Thanks for the info Amy, I just really like the color and now I'm sad if I can't get the damn stuff to work for me....sigh! I will persist and see if I can do some magic with it tomorrow. I've already had a custom request for them and it's paid for so I will have to try and get them to work. I would hate to tell my customer that she can't have them due to cracking.

janet

Old 2011-05-24, 8:01pm
Storm Queen

Good luck!

Old 2011-05-24, 8:21pm
*Desa Elliott*

I have used "Hawiian Purple" successfully by making a base bead out of the purple, and making very small accent dots on top. Another use of the glass is to use frit lightly with it. I have some beads that are made with Amazon frit and I have had them for a couple of years. I think that the dots or frit are less likely to crack that a complete encasing, or even just a stringer around the bead. (I have had stringer crack, too.)

Another Lausha purple that cracks is the Violet Striker. Not one of my favorite colors anyway, but I was disappointed when I opened the annealer one morning...

G-88
Creideamh, Sùil, Dìlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2011-05-24, 8:42pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

WOW...any Lauscha dealers out there, that might want to chime in regarding this purple problem? I've always wanted to try this purple but if there's nothing but cracking, forgot it.

Has anyone had any problems with the purple being used with other Lauscha colors?

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2011-05-25, 7:31am

I am a dealer and I sell piles of that color. So far none of it has been returned and no one has complained about it. I have also used it a few times without any trouble. Maybe it was a batch thing. Btw, most colors are 104 except for one of the yellows which is a little higher. I have an annealing schedule on my website if anyone needs it.

eta. Thanks for the heads up. I won't order that color again!!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2011-05-26 at 8:39am.
Old 2011-05-25, 7:36am
Growing Edge Glass

I have this color and have also noticed small cracks....used it with some 104 murrini and almost every piece has cracks. They seem to develop over a period of time...not immediately.

Here's a pic of one of my smaller cabochons with a murrini on it...showing how it cracked...this is not encased.

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~

Last edited by Truewealth; 2011-05-25 at 7:45am.
Old 2011-05-25, 8:42am
Normal is Boring!!

Nothing a good glass of wine can't fix - then get back on the saddle tomorrow!! ;-]

Lauscha has been banned form my glass collection- too many issues for me.

~
~

Antique Brass Findings