No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-09-18, 1:20am
Newbie with an old soul

Default color order

This may be a silly newbie question but could you tell me in what order do you place your glass rods in your storage area? do you go by the catalogue number? pastels and transparents seperate? do you go by your own color order? do you store different manufacturers seperately? what about specialty glass?

I just bought a very large amount of glass and I have set up a lovely storage space with lots of cubicles but I don't know what order to put the rods in.

Thanks so much

Jackie.

and my Etsy stores

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-18, 1:23am

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this question

When I got my first glass order, it was all Moretti and I filed it according to number (for ease of a) learning the glass and b) making repeat orders simple.

Following my recent studio revamp, I felt I wanted to see if reordering it all by colour might work better for choosing colour combos.

Now, I'm not sure what to do. Both arrangements work great for the separate purposes I've outlined above. Neither works well for both.

I hope to see some GREAT suggestions on how to deal with this dilemma!
Old 2008-09-18, 3:51am
Does that shed?

This is a tough one. I reorganized my rods many times before I found one that works for me. I always sort by coe, then specialty. Silver glasses are in there own area. Then transparent in another area and opaques in their own space. I try to keep the color numbers separate but it can be tough sometimes. And who has THAT much space. lol. Where I order my rods they come in little bags with the color number on them. I just cut the top of the bag off and put the whole thing in their holder thingy. That way I don't have to number each individual rod.
Old 2008-09-18, 7:47am
Ad astra per aspera

I'm a ROYGBIV organizer. Um, actually, YORVIBG with Black, white and ivory at the beginning. I use the fencepost sections, and have at least one section each for opaques and one for transparents by color.

Old 2008-09-18, 7:54am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

I organize both my personal and my glass for sale by number, starting with the transparents, then the opaques and stringers are done by color. I keep each type of glass seperate as well as the COE's. Because I don't have much Lausha, Vetrofond or boro colors I have them all on one shelf. (boro on seperate shelf) I keep all my silver glass in a huge coffee can which has half-mailing tubes in it to seperate them out. The newer glass for sale is in a cubbie with latwex bands (I hate the rubber bands!)

Anzie, where do you get your glass from that they come in plastic bags? I've got some from a studio buy out and have wondered about that. I think it's a great idea and keeping them in the bags means you don't have to mess with rubber bands going bad and sticking to the glass either!

This is a great thread. I'm sure there will be tons of different methods. I just may find one I want to change to!

Last edited by Elegance_1; 2008-12-30 at 10:38am.
Old 2008-09-18, 8:10am

I place my glass rods in storage by number and color ,according to the glass chart.That way I can order easier.
And I do keep coe of glass rods seperate.
I've done this for 5yrs now. It works for me.
Janet
Old 2008-09-18, 9:30am
Fancy Mammal

Rubber bands are terrible - several people here on LE suggested switching to elastic ponytail holders (the kind w/o any metal) and they are so much better. Now I curse myself whenever I find some glass I forgot to switch over and have to scratch the solidified ex-rubberband off the glass rods.
Old 2008-09-18, 1:47pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance_1 View Post
Anzie, where do you get your glass from that they come in plastic bags? I've got some from a studio buy out and have wondered about that. I think it's a great idea and keeping them in the bags means you don't have to mess with rubber bands going bad and sticking to the glass either!
Artistry in Glass ships their glass out in sealed plastic pouches with a label on the front that has the colour name and number. I really like it, since I hate taking off those stupid stickers.

-
-
Old 2008-09-18, 2:04pm
Does that shed?

Yep, I buy mostly from Artistry and they are the ones who puts the glass in plastic bags. They are wonderful when it comes to service and prices. And no I don't work for them. lol. They have just been great at helping me with a few issues I had with an oxycon and my new torch set up plus the added bonus of the labled plastic pouches. lol. They really help keep it organized
Old 2008-09-18, 9:14pm
Salt Box Beads

I suppose we all do it differently. I used a color wheel to set up my glass storage area.

On the bottom row I have my 'rare glass', and my clears, blacks, whites, ivories which are most used. I also have my "Vault" glass such as my Silvers and glass colors they do not make anymore and some I am not sure what do with yet such as the free gifts glass from Frantz like Nessi etc.

I have a row of my absolute favorites...there is a lot of those!

Next row up I have pastels by color groups.. the color wheel worked best for me as I could instantly see I had very little yellow except for pineapple sparkle and very little blue. I can tell at a glance if I need more of a certain color group. Thats the best part.

Then the transparents by color groups.

I keep my CiM and ASK separate.

On the other shelf I have all of the stringers, DH's little play stash and my milk crate that holds all of the CiM Kathy sends for testing. I keep it separate., and then lots of glass jars labeled for dichro, borosilicate, bullseye, stringers, twisties etc..

I also have 2 huge flat plastic sweater boxes from Wal-mart that I keep the long rods in as I receive them. One box for 104 and one box for 96. It makes it easier to inventory and I just guesstimate at the rods that are partially used that are stored in the PVC. I leave all glass wrapped as it comes in the sweater boxes until I need it. If I run out of a glass color I check my sweater box first before I order.

Lorraine
Old 2008-09-19, 4:00am
burnin' glass just becuz

i sort/store by COE, then by colour, then by oddlot/silver/specialty glass.

bottom shelf has all my 104s (Moretti/Vetro/CIM) sorted by colour, the very top row has the higher priced odd lots/specialty/rare glass (e.g. ASK) kept separate so i don't unintentionally use them as a base

top shelf has a bin on the left with all my single rods, incl. some Bullseye i bought before i knew anything about combining COEs (all individually labelled), then my 96COE and R4 & Double Helix silver glass rods are stored on the right. My Lauscha rods ended up here as well simply because they are so huge...

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland

Last edited by ewdb; 2008-09-19 at 4:03am.
Old 2008-09-19, 5:06am
ninja thread killer

Mine is all separated by coe first. In general, I clump like colors together because when you're looking for a green (for example) a different green may catch your eye rather than the one you're looking for. But there are too many methods to my madness to explain, lol!
Old 2008-09-19, 5:18am

Yep ... me too. Sort by coe first and then by color ... starting with clear, white, ivory black (I have these bins bigger) then into the color wheel ... lt blue, med. blue, dk blue etc.

Old 2008-09-19, 6:04am
Newbie with an old soul

Wow, Thanks for the great responses, I'll post a pic when I've finished unpacking.

and my Etsy stores

Old 2008-09-21, 6:39am
state-eternal change

I organize by the rainbow too, mostly. I got this storage unit from my church - it sorted out all the readings and the priest was going to throw it out. It's my "glass wall" now, but makes seeing everything at hand very easy for me. Glass is sorted by brand mostly - CIM along right side, neutrals in another column, then opaques, transparents and other brands, with vetro odds being on the leftmost side. Most of my glass is labelled by each rod, but as I order larger quantities of glass, I put a sticky label on each cubby, and leave the rods in the bags. For now, I still have room for expansion

Old 2008-09-21, 10:07pm
Salt Box Beads

WoW!! Jody...What a blessing you received in getting those shelves. They look terrific.

Lorraine
Old 2008-09-23, 5:22am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Mine is kind of by the rainbow I guess. No real rhyme or reason just like colors together. I do meticulosly label each cubby though. I hate not knowing the # when it is time to reorder.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2008-09-23, 5:44pm
Fancy Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Crazy View Post
Is this one of those shelves built by a local woodworker friend? I love it!
Old 2008-10-04, 5:44am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisgal View Post
Is this one of those shelves built by a local woodworker friend? I love it!

thanks, I had it built by a guy that I found on Craigslist. Not cheap but worth it nonetheless.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2008-10-04, 6:54am

LOL That is what _I_ used to do, until I had a bunch of rods half used sitting on my table and I couldn't figure out which was which! I manually tag similar rods with tiny tags if there is ANY doubt. Some come off, but it makes using them from the bench top so much easier.

My Glass storage is taller than wide, so I have it set up as below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
Artistry in Glass ships their glass out in sealed plastic pouches with a label on the front that has the colour name and number. I really like it, since I hate taking off those stupid stickers.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-10-04, 10:12am
Eight Miles Wide

I store mine in a Craftsman tool chest. I have a drawwer for pastels, transparents, reactives & silver glass. Now on my table is a differetn story. It looks like someone threw up glass rods. They are everywhere and in no particular order.

Old 2008-10-04, 10:33am
Happy 10 a.m.!

So, I take it I'm the only one who uses the "oh look, there's an open spot" method of organizing glass

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2008-10-06, 5:46am
Crunchy ol' Momma

Mine is seperated by COE, then by opaque / transparents. Special glass like odd lots and silver glasses are kept on the shelf above that, then shorts above that, then sample packs above that. Here's a picture (I also posted this in the glass storage thread, so sorry for the repeat picture).

Old 2008-12-20, 7:10pm
Anyone need some spacers?

I think in this photo it may be hard to see, the top glass shelf starts from the lightest of each solid color and goes darker as they go to the middle. Some colors take up more than one row. The second shelf of glass is all transparent glass and is organized from the darkest to the lightest from the top down. Across the shelving it goes from a row of basics to VIBGYR and silver/special glass. This is all 104 glass and each rod gets labeled before it is put away. I don't separate out different brands but they are marked on the rods. I think you have to find what works for you I have moved 3 times and so each time it has been organized different but I like this set up the best.

This was my previous set up.

Old 2008-12-26, 9:32pm
too many rods in the fire

[quote=Veda's Beads;2112378]So, I take it I'm the only one who uses the "oh look, there's an open spot" method of organizing glass

Oh no, you're not! I use this method also!

Here's a pic to prove it - although I DO try to keep different brands in different shelves (and this pic doesn't show my other large divided cube that I use for white, black, ivory, clear, and specialty glasses like Double Helix, other silver glasses etc.

Old 2008-12-26, 9:35pm
Entropy increasing....

Order?
Old 2008-12-27, 11:40pm
FireDancer Glass

Are these glued together? Just curious how they stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
i sort/store by COE, then by colour, then by oddlot/silver/specialty glass.

bottom shelf has all my 104s (Moretti/Vetro/CIM) sorted by colour, the very top row has the higher priced odd lots/specialty/rare glass (e.g. ASK) kept separate so i don't unintentionally use them as a base

top shelf has a bin on the left with all my single rods, incl. some Bullseye i bought before i knew anything about combining COEs (all individually labelled), then my 96COE and R4 & Double Helix silver glass rods are stored on the right. My Lauscha rods ended up here as well simply because they are so huge...

Christy
Old 2008-12-27, 11:41pm
FireDancer Glass

Where did you find these storage containers? I like them....they look pretty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntfingers View Post
Mine is seperated by COE, then by opaque / transparents. Special glass like odd lots and silver glasses are kept on the shelf above that, then shorts above that, then sample packs above that. Here's a picture (I also posted this in the glass storage thread, so sorry for the repeat picture).

Christy
Old 2008-12-28, 7:55am
Sorry for party rockin'

I organize mine by ROYGBV too and each color has its own space.

The top row of my rack is silvered glass only. Then I have one or two cubbie holes dedicated to dichro, filigrana, and pre pulled stringers. The next section is opaques, organized by the rainbow with white, ivories and black at the front end of that section. The next section is all transparents, again, organized by the rainbow with clear being at the front.

My last few cubbie holes at the bottom of my rack are for some stray "variety" packs where I only have a rod or two of each color.

I started out with rubber bands around all my glass, but started using ponytail holders instead. SOO much neater!! I found a pack of 100 at the grocery store for pretty cheap. I don't label my cubby holes, but leave one rod with the paper label on it. That way when I get low, I just look at the tag for what to re-order. I learned the hard way NOT to use the rod with the label on it

Old 2008-12-29, 6:10am
phrit phreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Crazy View Post
Mine is kind of by the rainbow I guess. No real rhyme or reason just like colors together. I do meticulosly label each cubby though. I hate not knowing the # when it is time to reorder.

This is how I group mine also. I love your set up w/ the labels etc. I like my colors grouped too.