Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Old 2006-05-25, 7:35pm

Default MAPP vs Propane?

Does MAPP gas burn that much hotter than propane? Someone mentioned that they wouldn't have the patience to work with a Hot Head and propane. Mapp is more expensive but if it takes less time to melt the glass it would be worth it. I was finding today that I was having a hard time getting the glass melted enough to work with easily. Thanks for any advice!

Cheryl
Old 2006-05-25, 7:53pm

Location: Im in Lawrenceburg TN .. about 1 1/2 south of Nashville

HI Cheryl !

Im a babe at all this But ... what i do know is that over 2 weeks ago I switched from MAPP to Propane and I havent had a problem at all .
In fact im very happy I made the change . Some here say that problems can arise if propane is dirty . Seems some areas have cleaner propane than others . I guess I got lucky .. so far no scummy beads .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."*John Irving*

Old 2006-05-27, 4:21pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsart
Does MAPP gas burn that much hotter than propane? Someone mentioned that they wouldn't have the patience to work with a Hot Head and propane. Mapp is more expensive but if it takes less time to melt the glass it would be worth it. I was finding today that I was having a hard time getting the glass melted enough to work with easily. Thanks for any advice!

Cheryl
I've typed and erased and typed and erased. Not sure if you'll understand this (heck, I don't and I wrote it!)

If you only have 1lb cannisters, go with MAPP. It's cleaner and hotter. For some reason the 1lb propanes tend to be sooty. You might get lucky, though. They're less than 1/2 the cost of MAPP.

If you can't get MAPP in bulk, go with the propane BBQ tank. It's ho1ter than the 1lb cannisters. Don't ask me why. It just is. Maybe it's the higher volume, yada, yada.

If you can get both MAP and Propane in bulk, it's a toss-up. The MAPP does burn hotter, but it's not a huge difference. Propane, again, is much cheaper. About 1/3 the cost of MAPP. But some areas have dirty Propane, as mentioned before.

Old 2006-05-29, 10:36am

Thanks Shawnette. So far my propane has been clean burning, no scummy stuff on beads, although I have burned a few beads because I got them too low in the flame. I'm on small bottles now but as soon as I can get the hose I'm going to go with the bbq tank of propane.
Old 2006-05-30, 12:14pm
PyronamixK

Keep in mind that the reason MAPP burns hotter is that it is "dirtier." The small gain in heat may or may not be worth the additional cost of MAPP over propane.

If you are doing fine on propane, then there is nothing wrong with sticking to it. There are some artists (even here on LE) who do amazing work using a HotHead and propane.
Old 2006-05-31, 6:06am

Cheryl - You won't save time by going to mapp gas if you are working on 1 lb canisters. The only benefit (in my own experience) is that mapp reduces the scumming of your glass. If you aren't having problems with that, then I would not go the extra expense of changing to mapp.

I don't want to be stoned to death here because the barbeque tank's marriage to the hothead causes heated discussions . . . but I didn't get nice results with my hothead until I switched to bulk propane. The $8 mapp canisters were killing my pocket book.

Old 2006-06-15, 5:54am
Striking-impared...

When I worked on a HH, I used a BBQ tank of propane. It's pretty clean around here and I could not find MAPP except in the 1 lb containers. I used the one-pound tanks briefly while waiting for my hose to arrive, then greatfully switched to the propane.

While I would never call my HH speedy, I was certainly able to make beads on it.

(If you want to see slow, try a Fireworks torch sometime...I did once and never again 'cause even a spacer took forever.)