Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-08, 5:45am
SCIENCE Teacher!

If I could ask Aussies to hold off for a day?
I have to find out why I got charged almost double on the last 2 packages. I sent my Gofer (errand person) to the post office and when I looked over the receipt my hair stood on end.

Mariane - I will still send yours of course!
Old 2007-03-08, 6:11am
Crazy tool making guy....

Hi All! I have some on it's way to me, but it would be wonderful if those of you with mandrels from Inspiration Toolworks could try this bead release with your mandrels.

I'm looking at several issues based upon my experience with other bead releases:

1) Does it crack if applied to large mandrels?

2) Is it thin enough/ low surface tension enough to show the "valleys" of the heart mandrel well, or does it fill in the "valleys" too much?

3) How easy do beads come off large, complex mandrels?

I'm really looking forward to this bead release!

Thanks!

-Jeff
Old 2007-03-08, 6:43am
Damn Frit Bitch

I want to try it too!! Sent you a paypal payment. Good luck with the website!!
Old 2007-03-08, 7:32am

I received mine last night. I will be on the torch later today so I am about to start dipping mandrels and give it a whirl. I love the regular fosterfire so I am sure I will love this more....

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2007-03-08, 2:11pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Mine came yesterday. Can't get to the torch till the weekend, but I'm thrilled at how fast it came!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to get 15% off my beads

Old 2007-03-08, 2:50pm
ID10T Problem Solver

EVERYONE has to get this release! You will never use anything else, ever again! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2007-03-08, 4:05pm
Gay rights R human rights

I got mine yesterday. I might just have to sneak in some torch time to try it.
Old 2007-03-08, 9:37pm
Booger #7

Wonderful release!!!! I have been making my own for the past year or so, but it didn't have the hold I needed for boro or bigger pieces with a lot of manipulation and your new release was awesome!!!!! Held on tight, but cleaned up super easy with very little effort! Great release and super fast shipping! Thanks again Robin!!!

Old 2007-03-09, 4:08am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Toni has the right idea. The temp you use it in can effect the thickness. If we have any doubts we ship it a bit thick because you can always thin it down, but if you need it thicker you have to let it dry out a bit.

If it seems too thick, please add water.
Old 2007-03-09, 6:05am

Well Here goes.... I tried this release yesterday. I also took the beads off the mandrels already this morning. Anybody want some bead release?

I have lots of bottles of my old bead release available since this bead release- Fosterfire is perfect!!!!

I LOVE THIS NEW RELEASE!

I thought it was too thick but I tried it as is. I really like it thick.

I will be using this release and not mixing my own in the future. I did use fosterfire mixed with fusion......but that is history!

thanks Robin for a perfect bead release!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2007-03-09, 8:25am
one day at a time

Wow, it's great!! I've finally found the best bead release!!!

I love how it cleans off the mandrels sooo easy and doesn't leave behind a residue that I have to scrub off of them. Getting the beads off after a brief soak - absolutely wonderful!! It holds very well and doesn't flake so I know it's going to be great for boro.

My family members will tell you that when it's "get the beads off the mandrels time", they run the other way! That's because of the ranting, raving, and many swear words while I'm fighting to get the beads off and bending a lot of my 1/16" mandrels in the process. Not to mention my outbursts of how I'm going to get carpal tunnel syndrome from my beadmaking, hmmm...no more worries about that!

Problems solved! Thank you Robin!!!

Last edited by Lisi; 2007-03-09 at 8:33am.
Old 2007-03-09, 9:34am
Skeptical Optimist

Thumbs up

OK so mine was waiting for me when I got home and DH dipped some mandrels for me. I used my old dipped ones with the Heavy Duty first since I just had him cut more and dip them for me the night before. Tried two mandrels with this stuff: it seemed grainy but WOW! Right in the flame, no cracking, flaking, used a zoozii press and didn't have anything to blow out of it! I'm loving it and will definitely be sharing this and buying more waaay before it runs out. Robin you hit the nail on the head, thanks from all of us, this will definitely be a favorite on this forum GREAT for boro and I'm sure soft glass too.

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-03-09, 9:34am
Missing presumed fed

Has anybody used this with big hole beads? If so, would you let me know how the inside of the holes looks? I'm not into the big holes, but I have a friend who is, and if the new FF leaves a smooth surface on the inside, I'd love to be able to recommend it to her.

(I haven't gotten a chance to try mine yet. I have the mandrels dipped, but don't know when I'll get time to put them in the flame.)
Old 2007-03-09, 9:47am

So how thick are we supposed to use it?
Old 2007-03-09, 9:59am
Skeptical Optimist

Talking

We used it as-is, its great. Also, not as much release left in the hole.

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-03-09, 10:03am

Thanks! Mine is on the way.
Old 2007-03-09, 2:13pm
Fire Borne

Yes! Yes! Yes! This morning I dipped right out of the jar. Lunch time I made and tortured some pressed, repressed and pressed again beads. Smooth and tuff held like a champ! Even when I pulled and pulled on the glass! And just a few minutes ago I removed this test group from their mandrels and that was easy! I'm sold!

Thanks Robin!

pat

Old 2007-03-09, 2:52pm

I used to bend 5 to 6 mandrels a day trying to get beads off, even after soaking!! And the (un-named here, don't want to trash anyone!) release still flaked in my presses!! This is wonderful. I thinned it a little and right into the flame, pressed, multiple represses and it held tight. Then out of the kiln, short soak, little twist and the beads slid right off!!! This will save money and my wrists!!! THANK YOU!!!
Mary T.
Old 2007-03-09, 3:08pm

Mine just arrived! Yea!
Old 2007-03-09, 5:12pm

Mine arrived and I e-mailed you.

ETA: In case anyone is reading, I've heard from Robin. She is really fast.

Last edited by Just Nancy; 2007-03-10 at 6:18am.
Old 2007-03-10, 10:33am
one day at a time

Some more raving!

It was kind of thick in the container and I had a little trouble getting it to "stick" to the mandrels when dipping them. This must have been because most of it had settled during shipping and I didn't shake it up well enough. I spooned some out into a baby food jar and added a little water to thin it out and some wonky beads to help mix it. Wow! What a difference that made! Dipping was so smooth (I like my release on the thin side anyway) and last night I made some big beads which slipped off with barely a twist and a soak in water for like what, two minutes?! It's fabulous stuff!
Old 2007-03-10, 10:48am
Booger #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Has anybody used this with big hole beads? If so, would you let me know how the inside of the holes looks? I'm not into the big holes, but I have a friend who is, and if the new FF leaves a smooth surface on the inside, I'd love to be able to recommend it to her.

(I haven't gotten a chance to try mine yet. I have the mandrels dipped, but don't know when I'll get time to put them in the flame.)

I just dipped some big mandrels Emily to try tonight...I'll let you know how they look tomorrow

Old 2007-03-12, 5:12am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Umm, sorry guys, I am out of the small shipping boxes until later today so the orders placed this weekend will go out Tuesday.

Also, someone someone tried to send me an e-mail from LE's system and I never rec'd it - if you need me, though, the PMs works great.

Thanks again!
Old 2007-03-12, 6:13am
Bead dazzled

I have a new favorite bead release. I thought it was going to be too thick because the mandrel would stand up all by itself in the jar but it wasn't!! The mandrels coated thin, held tight without flaking and were easy to remove from the beads. Cleaning was quick and easy. I can't imagine how it could be any better. Thanks Robin.
Old 2007-03-12, 9:07am
Missing presumed fed

Why do I always have to be the voice of doom?

It flaked in my lentil press (Cattwalk 1", this time). It let go and stuck to the ends of beads. I've got lentils I'm going to have to Dremel because they've got tiny bits of bead release stuck all around the hole. I've got one where the bead release let go entirely, although the bead was pretty much finished at that point so I didn't lose it. I just stuck it in the kiln. I took them out of the kiln this morning and stuck them in water -- haven't taken any off the mandrels yet.

In other words, so far it isn't any better than anything else I've used.

I was using 3/32 mandrels that I'd used before -- no brand new ones. I thinned the release out to about the thickness of pancake batter, dipped the mandrels, and stood them in a bucket of kitty litter to dry. I dipped them several days before I used them, so they were completely dry. I didn't try flame-drying any mandrels this time.

Why are my results completely different from everybody else's?

Sunday I dipped some big mandrels because I thought I'd try some big-hole beads. I thought I'd see how the release was straight from the jar. I couldn't use it. I had to wash the mandrels off and start over. Dipped straight in the jar, the coating was like 3/8" thick. I can't use it that thick. I think the bottle that glassferret got must have been thinner to start with than what I have. Maybe I'm not thinning mine enough.
Old 2007-03-12, 9:47am
maybe tomorrow

I can't say for sure Emily, but I'd think yours was still too thick. With regular Foster Fire, if I don't thin mine a lot, it does break on me. For this new bottle I received, I actually had to take some out so I could add enough water to thin it to where I wanted it. I think I tend to use Foster Fire thinner than other releases I've tried because that's when it gets smoother.

Thin it out a bit more, and try again.

Toni

Old 2007-03-12, 10:12am
NW Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Why do I always have to be the voice of doom?

It flaked in my lentil press (Cattwalk 1", this time). It let go and stuck to the ends of beads. I've got lentils I'm going to have to Dremel because they've got tiny bits of bead release stuck all around the hole. I've got one where the bead release let go entirely, although the bead was pretty much finished at that point so I didn't lose it. I just stuck it in the kiln. I took them out of the kiln this morning and stuck them in water -- haven't taken any off the mandrels yet.
In other words, so far it isn't any better than anything else I've used.

Why are my results completely different from everybody else's?

Actually, you are not alone. I used it yesterday to make about 8 beads. Most of the beads were plunged florals on 3/32". I had a fair amount of the flaking that you mentioned. It happened when I rolled the mandrel along the edge of my marver while straightening up the encased ends of my beads. The release popped right off. I didn't get stuff stuck to the bead and the bead held tight to the mandrel but I never have flaking with Bucket O Mud when I use it. I had dipped the mandrels, let them begin to dry on top of my propane heater and then flame dried each one as I prepared to use it. Mine did not seem thick at all but it did seem grainy. I may try mixing it more today to see if the problem is the operator rather than the release.
J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2007-03-12, 10:27am
Shine on!

Robin, I LOVE it! I have another favorite now. We can have 2 right??? I made a 50mm long pressed bead and with a VERY easy twist, it slipped right off the mandrel. Very easy to clean the hole too. PERFECT!!

Old 2007-03-12, 5:46pm
WildBird Beads

Oh boy.. I can just see myself, with my poor memory, running into Frantz Art Glass and asking for " you know that release stuff that sound like it might be a condom..."! LOL
Sooo Funnny..

WildBird
Old 2007-03-12, 8:26pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

[quote=Emily;1056499]Why do I always have to be the voice of doom?

It flaked in my lentil press (Cattwalk 1", this time). It let go and stuck to the ends of beads. I've got lentils I'm going to have to Dremel because they've got tiny bits of bead release stuck all around the hole. [quote]

Well, you're not totally alone. I had my flake in the bead press which I pressed about 5 times, but my bead did not break loose and they came off the mandrels SO easy. I love it. Maybe I'll thin mine a bit and see if it helps with the flaking.
Patricia