LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-12, 12:13pm

Default Wax Seal Stamps?

I know this has been brought up before and I have asked others and checked the WC link out on the subject. It was never really addressed.

Has anyone ever found a source for brass sealing wax stamps that mounted the brass plate on something other than wood with a handle attached to that. I know about the leather stamps but couldn't find on Tandy, any that looked like they would work with glass. Usually too much detail for the glass to compress into.

I know Cattwalk has presses with texture of which I own a couple. I am looking for a less expensive alternative for things I probably won't use as often.....

Thanks for your help, friends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LAG; 2007-01-12 at 12:17pm. Reason: Add Cattwalk paragraph
Old 2007-01-12, 3:17pm

What about the knobs (kitchen and or bathroom cabinet) that you can find at local lumber yard? Home Depot had a lot to choose from. gayle
Old 2007-01-12, 4:42pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Try upscale or boutique stationary stores or web sites....

I found one just walking into a boutique stationary shop.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-01-12, 4:56pm

Hi Kay, I was doing a quick search for you and came upon this site. They've got lots of wax seal stamps, including some that have "Murano" glass handles. www.nostalgicimpressions.com. Here's another site that whose seal are all metal: http://www.swordmark.com/seals.html. Hope this helps.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2007-01-12, 9:32pm

Thanks, peoples... I will give them a try.. Funny, Renee, I went to nostalgic impressions also this am but I can't tell if the plate is attached to the handle directly or not. I think it should be okay.. They have the right type of impressions...ones I would like to have, anyway..

Old 2007-01-13, 5:29pm
Ezzy

Wow, I never really thought about using my wax sealing stamps with glass and now I'm thinking, "hmmm I bet I could..."

I just thought I'd note, I've never seen a wax sealing stamp made of anything except total brass. The ones I have are entirely brass and thinking about it I imagine they would have had to been made in a mold. I purchased them at Ben Franklin, unfortunately I can't remember the brand.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-01-13, 6:15pm

Ben Franklin huh... Okay, Now I will have to check out Michaels.... that is the nearest craft store before I committ to the internet. THANKS

Old 2007-01-13, 6:24pm
Ezzy

Yep, Ben Franklin... I live in the sticks! There's a Michael's in South Reno but I never go cuz it's sooooo far away.

I just pulled out the stamps I have to see if there were any brand markings, and there aren't. They are just stamped "Italy" and it looks like it might actually two pieces. The handle and the stamp portion might be either soldered or welded together. I'm going to try one anyway to see what happens.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-01-14, 12:26pm

Michael's and Hobby Lobby had them in their wedding supplies.
Joan