Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2017-03-22, 12:28pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Default Boro tube size?

I am wondering on the correct size boro tubing to make a spoon pipe. I read somewhere it's 25mm x 4mm, but the 4mm part sounds really thick. ???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-03-22, 2:22pm

If I'm not mistaken that's the total wall addition to the diameter of the tube. Its 2mm all the way around so an extra 4mm to the total diameter. As far as the size in more general terms, that's what I have always heard as well.
Old 2017-03-23, 8:32am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Oh, ok thanks. I think I might just order a small piece and measure it with my digital calipers and see if I can figure it out. Boro is like a whole different language!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-03-24, 11:00am
novembersfyre everywhere

I took a pipe class and that is the size we used. I'll check it for sure later when I have a chance to get into the studio. You do want to use thick wall tubing.

Old 2017-03-24, 12:06pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Hey Mary Beth, thank you! Where did you take the pipe class at? I'd like to take one.

Old 2017-03-27, 8:24am
Capitalist Pig

For making a basic "spoon" pipe 25 X 4 is the best to start with, if you want to do
outside decoration. For inside out, it is easier to use a larger diameter with thinner wall
thickness.

Contrary to what was stated above about tube nomenclature the first number is the outside diameter of the tube, the second number is the wall thickness, 25 X 4 has an
inside diameter of 17mm.

"Comrades! We must abolish the cult of the individual decisively, once and for all." [Nikita Khrushchev , February 25, 1956 20th Congress of the Communist Party]

"We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society." [Hillary Clinton, 1993]
Old 2017-03-27, 8:57am

Brian, Thanks for the correction. I had spoken clumsily on that. My brain got ahead of my typing.
Old 2017-03-27, 10:37am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Thanks for the details, I appreciate it.

Old 2017-04-09, 4:15pm
Queen Of the Kitty Parade

so what is the firing schedule for that type of piece. I always wanted to try to. But i have no clue on the firing.
Old 2017-05-04, 10:06pm
Capitalist Pig

I anneal at 1050f for 1 hour, cool 200f/hr to 850f, then 300f/hr to 600f, turn off kiln. Been doing it this way for many years seems to work well. A piece did break yesterday though, but that might be due to it being dropped from
about 3 1/2 feet onto a concrete floor. Not testing just butter fingers.

This is the schedule I use for pipes. They are at their thickest at 1/4". Don't use this for thicker glass

"Comrades! We must abolish the cult of the individual decisively, once and for all." [Nikita Khrushchev , February 25, 1956 20th Congress of the Communist Party]

"We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society." [Hillary Clinton, 1993]

Last edited by Dog Squeez; 2017-05-23 at 7:04am. Reason: Add information.
Old 2017-05-06, 3:57pm
ManBearPig

-Garage at 950 while working.
-When done, ramp up to 1050.
-Hold for one hour at least.
-(optional) ramp up to 1150 for 20 minutes to strike colors/silver. If you are just using clear, skip this step.
-Ramp down to 900 at 60 deg/hour. This is the key step. Don't rush this.
-Ramp down to room temp at 200/hour.