Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-07-30, 11:13am

Default Which torch?

If my choice is between a Knight Little Dragon 21 port or a Carlisle Wildcat 19 port on two oxycons which one should I get an why?
Thanks for the help,
Grady
Old 2007-07-30, 11:33am
product of the universe

I'd say for the price the knight little dragon. I've never used either of these torches though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2007-07-30, 11:48am

I don't think 2 5 LPM oxygen cons would power either one of those torchs.
Old 2007-07-30, 12:20pm

I had better clairfy this. I can get a used (6mo) Wildcat for about the same price as the Little dragon 21 port Larry Laclair says they will both run on two concentrators. I don't know. I could use three concentrators but I don't think I could stand the noise!
Thanks again,
Grady
Old 2007-07-30, 12:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagintn View Post
I had better clairfy this. I can get a used (6mo) Wildcat for about the same price as the Little dragon 21 port Larry Laclair says they will both run on two concentrators. I don't know. I could use three concentrators but I don't think I could stand the noise!
Thanks again,
Grady
I don't know. neither one has an inner and outer fire like a knight bullet or Hellcat.

I'm guessing they are both about the same. My guess is that the Wildcat would probally have more resale value down the road if you sell it and upgrade.

I think either torch would run off 2 oxy cons on the lower power end for softglass. When I said I don't think 2 oxy cons would run either torch, I was meaning that you would get to at least 90% power with only 2 oxy cons.
Old 2007-07-30, 1:43pm

2 5ltr concentrators will noway run ether of those torches.
You would do much better to get the 7port Dragon,that is what the center fire is on my Bullet and I use two concentrators for that and I don't need the outter unless I make something very big with boro.I use a Tank for the outer flame.My Bullet is the same as the 21 port cept it has a seprate inner and outter.
G.
Old 2007-07-31, 9:46am

Thanks for the help. I am still not sure. Do you think I can melt Boro with my bobcat and two concentrators? How does it compare to the 7 port dragon?
Thanks again,
Grady
Old 2007-07-31, 9:53am

FYI, I use a Betta with 2 concentrators and NG and I do boro. I am making small perfume bottles these days, although that's really pushing it.

Rose

Old 2007-07-31, 11:45am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagintn View Post
Thanks for the help. I am still not sure. Do you think I can melt Boro with my bobcat and two concentrators? How does it compare to the 7 port dragon?
Thanks again,
Grady
The Bobcat can so some medium sized boro well, just slower. I am not sure how strong your concentrators run but these were made with my Bobcat. I can't remember if these specifically were made with tanked O2 or my generator(20psi), but the torch can work boro Please excuse the newbie welds!

nagi

Old 2007-08-02, 9:15am

First off, I agree with another poster here, two 5 LPM concentrators are not recommended for use with the WildCat (probably run it more like 65%), and I also believe that would go for the Knight burner, although I am not as familiar with the Knight line.

You also asked if you could melt boro with the Bobcat. My answer is hell yes! The Bobcat on those two concentrators should be plenty to melt boro. I make almost all of my boro pendants on a Mini CC with one 8 LPM M15 unit from Unlimited Oxygen. The Mini CC and the Bobcat are very comparable in size, so I would say stick with the Bobcat and give it a shot.

The only reason to move up to work with boro is if the size of your work is too large for the torch. Pendants and beads should be fine, but marbles (above 1 1/4") will start to take too long and be somewhat frustrating. Some hollow blowing work can be done, like perfume bottles, but larger hollow work would be better with a larger torch.

If you have any specific questions, you can always PM me.

-always a sale and new items to check out!
East coast supplier of colored glass rod in 104 and 33, tools, torches, gloves, and everything else a flameworker needs
Where LE users receive 15% off glass, and 10% on everything else, every day all year long!
Old 2007-08-03, 11:30am

Hi everone,
Thanks to all who responded. I have decided to just give the Bobcat a try.
I ordered my glasses and they should be here next week! I am really excited about trying boro. I bought one of Mr. Smiley's boro packs probably a year ago and did try it but after much thought I believe I was only on one oxcon at the time. It took forever to melt and I am fairly patient. I will let you know next week. I really appreciate everybody who posted or sent PM's. I got enough info to help me figure it out.
You all do beautiful work!
Peace,
Grady