LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-07-26, 12:33pm

Default WHY is red so darned difficult?!

Ok, I am sure this has been discussed, but I did a search for red glass, and just plain red, and no luck!!

I know that to encase red, you are supposed to lay down a core of clear, then red, then clear. ( knowing it doesn't mean it works for me! ) I asked this question in another thread, and the silence is still echoing, so, I put it out to the entire group.....

WHY is red so difficult? What is happening in the glass that makes it turn to mud brown when ever I work with it? I had great luck with it as a newbie, but as I practice, my color gets worse!! Please! What do I have to do to make red work? (
Old 2015-07-26, 2:27pm

No help on the red since I haven't had problems, but when searching, use an asterisk after any search term less than four letters. The search function requires four characters or more. Hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-07-26, 5:21pm

Seeing as you've not had much luck with a reply, I'm going to hazard a guess here. When you were a newbie making beads, they were probably very simply, not much marvering or decoration. The longer the red glasses are worked, the more livery or mud-colored they become.
Now that you're not such a newbie anymore, you're probably making beads a bit more complicated and doing maneuvers that require a longer heat to accomplish. Try to make the red glass the last thing you add to the bead and minimize the time in the flame. See if that helps some.
Old 2015-07-27, 6:45am
Lampworkaholic!

There was a recent thread about red, but it seems to have been deleted. Here's an old one.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh....php?p=4406629

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2015-07-28, 8:06am
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Here's something I've been working on all summer - heat control. I tend to encase almost everything (it's like a horrible disease!) and I recently found that if I take the time to hold the bead in the outer reach of the flame vs. right on the flame, that things tend to melt slower, giving me more control with the encasement layer. I use both gravity and marvers to encase. I've had luck with heat control, give it a try!

Old 2015-07-28, 10:38am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
.... The longer the red glasses are worked, the more livery or mud-colored they become...
Exactly. Also, it isn't just about time in flame. It's heating time, period, so anything red should be made last. The longer it sits in the kiln, the less red and more livery brown it will become. (Some just turn dark, instead of livery.)

This is true for boro reds, as well. Red just wants to be brown, apparently.

Old 2015-07-28, 11:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrout View Post
I tend to encase almost everything (it's like a horrible disease!)
LOL! Let me know if you start a support group. I need to join.