LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-06-17, 8:22am

Default Help- need ideas on a 104 DARK NAVY

Cobalt is too cobalty.... Lapis isn't dark enough. Would ink blue over lapis look navy?

Anyone know of a mix or combination to get a good DARK navy blue?

Help! And thanks in advance for said help!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2009-06-17, 8:27am

Didn't Frantz have something like "midnight rose," that was such a dark blue it was nearly black?

Hmmph, can't find it. Maybe someone else will remember and have some for you. I think it was too dark to be popular, so they probably ditched it and there must be someone out there who's unhappy with it!

Last edited by beadbroad; 2009-06-17 at 8:29am.
Old 2009-06-17, 8:54am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Cobalt is too cobalty.... Lapis isn't dark enough. Would ink blue over lapis look navy?

Anyone know of a mix or combination to get a good DARK navy blue?

Help! And thanks in advance for said help!

Sue
I had some Effetre Lapis from 4 years ago that was Navy. Like Midnight Blue. Maybe someone has some of that old batch lying around?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-06-17, 9:01am
passionate about pets

I like using a base of periwinkle (mor 220) and ink blue over top....i think this gives a nice navy color but still looks blue. not so navy it looks black. but trying ink blue over lapis might work....try it first on a small bead...

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2009-06-17, 9:05am
I fart diamonds

Vetrofond 975 Midnight Cobalt

http://galaxyglassstore.com/index.ph...a8bb91fc659419

Even cheaper:
http://www.flamekissedglass.com/catalog.php?item=679

Last edited by shawnette; 2009-06-17 at 9:07am.
Old 2009-06-17, 10:21am

I have Navy Effetre. Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-06-17, 12:24pm
I like to melt things

Lauscha Steel Blue is a great navy blue colour. I bought mine from Paula and I love it.

-
-
Old 2009-06-17, 12:26pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
Lauscha Steel Blue is a great navy blue colour. I bought mine from Paula and I love it.
My lauscha steel is nowhere near navy. More like a cross between slate and denim.

Old 2009-06-17, 12:42pm

Thanks all. I'll pm Paula with an order tomorrow.... we had an employee picnic today and my choice was a lobster. Unfortunately, it's not agreeing with me..... I only have an hour of work left.. I give up. Heading home before I start praying to porcelain gods around here.

Sue
Old 2009-06-17, 12:44pm
I like to melt things

weird. Mine's totally navy blue, or at least how I perceive Navy Blue. I guess it's not that consistent?

The dark blue colour in these beads is Lauscha Steel Blue:

-
-
Old 2009-06-17, 12:50pm
I fart diamonds

See, to me, that's denim blue.

Old 2009-06-17, 1:37pm

I was looking at the CIM colors. Maybe Ming Unique? I haven't used it but it looks like a nice navy blue. On my screen anyway.

Old 2009-06-17, 4:41pm

Here is a link to photos and some beads that I made with Steel Blue!
http://www.flamedame.com/index.php?m...products_id=34
It can look like a very dark Navy Blue and works well under Raku frit or stringer!
The factory calls it "Dark Teal." One of the eaelier importers called it Steel Blue and that name stuck!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-06-17, 4:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Thanks all. I'll pm Paula with an order tomorrow.... we had an employee picnic today and my choice was a lobster. Unfortunately, it's not agreeing with me..... I only have an hour of work left.. I give up. Heading home before I start praying to porcelain gods around here.

Sue
Oooh Sorry you are ill. I can send you a piece of each color before you buy!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-06-17, 6:13pm
Lampworkaholic!

CiM Leaky Pen or Effetre Blue Rose might work if you want a transparent navy blue.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-06-18, 10:17am
Ad astra per aspera

Ming is a little light for a real Navy (love it, but it's not navy). Leaky pen might do the trick, but it leans a bit towards greenish, depending on how dense you wrap it. (I like it over clear for that reason, but by itself it might just work.)

Have you tried Effetre Cobalt Lapis? NOT plain Lapis, the darkest color. That, to me, is seriously navy.

Devardi also has a lapis that looks lighter on the rod, but turns a lovely deep blue, but I think it leans more towards what I'd call a royal blue than true navy.

Shawnette, is that Vetro a transparent or opaque? It's tough to tell in the pic, which is probably a good thing.

Old 2009-06-18, 10:54am

Oh, yes, SUE, TRY THE DEVARDI COLORS!!! (and they're cheap, cheap, cheap!!!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-06-18, 11:16am

I ordered from Paula today... (thank you, Paula). I have both some steel blue and some of the efrette navy coming.

Lyn, I'll be in Rockland tonight... will pick up your beads. You working Saturday? I'll drop them off as I have to go to Bangor. Idjits at Maine Oxy had my quick connects, all right... except that they were the wrong ones. I needed hose-to-hose and they had 2 sets of torch-to-hose. Gonna pick up the RIGHT ones this Sat.

Sue
Old 2009-06-18, 11:22am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Ming is a little light for a real Navy (love it, but it's not navy). Leaky pen might do the trick, but it leans a bit towards greenish, depending on how dense you wrap it. (I like it over clear for that reason, but by itself it might just work.)

Have you tried Effetre Cobalt Lapis? NOT plain Lapis, the darkest color. That, to me, is seriously navy.

Devardi also has a lapis that looks lighter on the rod, but turns a lovely deep blue, but I think it leans more towards what I'd call a royal blue than true navy.

Shawnette, is that Vetro a transparent or opaque? It's tough to tell in the pic, which is probably a good thing.
that's the one! Cobalt Lapis. It's an opaque Midnight Blue color. That Vetro that I linked to is a transparent.

Old 2009-06-18, 12:58pm
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
My lauscha steel is nowhere near navy. More like a cross between slate and denim.
I think she is thinking of Air Force Blue

~

Old 2009-06-18, 1:24pm

Dense Blue is more navy than anything I've tried so far...

Heidi
Old 2009-06-18, 1:44pm
I fart diamonds

This is what I picture when I think of Navy Blue:

Old 2009-06-18, 1:44pm
I fart diamonds

Damn! That's huge, lol!

Old 2009-06-18, 7:03pm

when 'nette makes a point, she makes it BIG!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-06-19, 5:27am

Ha! NOW I see why this thread has suddenly become huge!

Shawnette, that's exactly it.... dark navy! Perfect. Thanks.

I have two colors coming from Paula. Let's hope they're what I'm looking for!

Thanks to all for the help.

Sue
Old 2009-06-19, 5:37am
sunscreen me baby

Sue, tell me what you find out so I only have to order one color

~

Old 2009-06-19, 5:39am

Suzy,

I have a pound of one color and a 1/2 pound of the other. PM me your address and I'll mail you a couple of rods when they arrive. I do have enough to share a couple of rods so no worries.

Sue
Old 2009-06-19, 5:52pm
sunscreen me baby

Only if you want to sell it. I just want to know which one to get

~

Old 2009-06-22, 1:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Only if you want to sell it. I just want to know which one to get
Silly girl, you CAN'T put a price on a gift! lol....

Sue
Old 2009-06-22, 3:04pm

Sue your glass is on it's way!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !