LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-28, 5:56pm
Certified Thread Killer

Default Help! I need to fix a bead--with a torch?

I'm going to preface this with: It's not a bead for sale or that I ever will sell.

I have a Nikki "Fat Cat" bead and I broke its ear off! It didn't pop off, I broke it off—I didn't see it when I moved my box of glass tools.

Is there any glue that would be effective? I do have GS Hypo cement and can apply teeny teeny drops.

Alternatively, I have a dual-fuel Smith Little Torch. I read somewhere that small things can be attached to small areas of glass using the pinpoint flame of this torch. Does anybody know about that?

I :heart" my gimpy kitty. If I can't fix him, I shall name him "Nemo" (he is orange & white).
Old 2010-04-28, 6:03pm
honorary bead lady

Cyanoacrylate (super glue)

I don't think you can do the torch bit with soft glass (I may be wrong) I have tried to fix some fish that I broke the fins off of, preheated in the kiln to 925 for 1 hr and still blew them up!
Old 2010-04-28, 7:41pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I've fixed the ears on my kitty beads and fins on fish before. I put the bead on a mandrel right after I've dipped it in bead release. While the bead release is still wet, I put the bead on. After it dries, I very carefully clean the ends of the bead where the bead release is on the bead. In put the bead in the kiln and ramp up to 960. When I take it out of the kiln, I'm wafting back and forth in the flame for approximately 2 minutes before trying to give it direct heat. Then gently introduce into the flame. This technique works about 3/4 of the time. You just have to go slow.

Patsy

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-28, 8:43pm
Live and Let Live

Hypo cement or Crazy Glue type would be WAY safer than attempting a 'hot' fix, in my opinion. I've glued plenty of beads with Hypo Cement and they're AOK. (Not for sale, of course, like you said.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-04-29, 4:19pm

Poor kitty! I'd trust glue more than trying to remelt it on... I've glued some together (back in the days before I discovered insurance heat) and they're held strong. It's a gamble to me to try to reheat and remelt it on... Even for my own beads. I wouldn't dare try it with someone else's.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2010-04-29, 6:06pm
Certified Thread Killer

Thanks, everyone…

I'm thinking the safest and easiest thing to do is go with the GS Hypo cement and glue it. It's essentially cyanoacrylate or Super Glue that I can apply in the tiniest amount. I've had problems with overapplying glues and epoxy-type adhesives before to things I want to glue and it just doesn't work.
The ear is tiny and I think I'd be afraid of melting it into oblivion in my regular torch and it isn't the thing to be practicing on with the Little Torch.

I'm still going to call him "Nemo".
Old 2010-04-30, 2:37pm

I'd go with the glue also, but for those who like to repair, trying heat the piece to 1050 for an hour, then bringing it out into the flame. Works much better than the lower temps for me.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-04-30, 4:54pm
Hmmmm.....

If you haven't glued it yet, I recommend Zap A Gap. It is a super glue and i have used it on many of my "noobie" sculptural pieces that have had fins or ears break off. The pieces are still attached as of today

My

My

Currently on a HotHead w/ Bulk Propane, can't wait till I can use my Cricket!
Old 2010-05-01, 8:20am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbeedz1 View Post
I've fixed the ears on my kitty beads and fins on fish before. I put the bead on a mandrel right after I've dipped it in bead release. While the bead release is still wet, I put the bead on. After it dries, I very carefully clean the ends of the bead where the bead release is on the bead. In put the bead in the kiln and ramp up to 960. When I take it out of the kiln, I'm wafting back and forth in the flame for approximately 2 minutes before trying to give it direct heat. Then gently introduce into the flame. This technique works about 3/4 of the time. You just have to go slow.

Patsy
Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. I have needed them a time or two!
Old 2010-05-01, 9:23am

Lulu said what I was going to say...Zap A Gap...it gives you a few minutes to get it right before setting up.
Good luck!