Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-05-11, 4:57pm
is

Default Homefill & Compatible Concentrator Leads

I see a lot of threads of people asking about Homefills. I've always bookmarked them on eBay, my local craigslist, as well as some of the other parts like the Platinum XL or Perfecto2 concentrators.

So, here's one where any time I see one (or you, too!) post it here! I generally dont have any of them for sale, but am pretty knowledgeable about them, as are about a half dozen other members here. If you have an oxygen tank and you want to "fill your own" tanks, this is where you can start!

As time progresses and the thread starts to get older, a lot of links wont work. If its older than a few weeks, chances are whatever it was is sold by now.

PRICE CHECK? Today, at the time of this post, Homefills generally run about $1000 for the entire system. Thats around $600 for the Homefill, $250 for the concentrator, and $150 for the whip. The prices are assuming everything is used, the new market on these products is $3500 for the Homefill and ~$1000 for a concentrator, but that is *heavily* inflated since old people bill the government and insurance companies. Sometimes you get a deal, sometimes it takes a month to find a unit.

ONGOING SELLERS: The following links are to sellers who "generally usually" have Homefill and Homefill related stuff for sale.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43411 - Seller OxygenTech - $950 for a complete system, but he hasnt actually begun taking orders for them yet. He has been working on it for a few months and has pallets of units.

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...t=42298&page=4 - Seller boston. Seems to get units that are fairly new for sale often. $800 delivered for the Homefill and whip, no concentrator included.

(drew, I looked for your thread, are you still selling them?)

And the rest are dated auctions......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Homefill-1-M...-/180880281432
^^^ Guy has Four of them for sale. $600.

While generally I dont have any of this stuff for sale, I do have two Perfecto2 Concentrators w/ o2 Sensors made 4/12 brand new, they are $300+UPS Cost.

The reason I posted this thread in the Boro Room is because generally the soft glass workers use just a concentrator and dont need the Homefill or the tanks.

Got a lead on homefill stuff? Bump it.
Old 2012-05-12, 10:10am
funny mofo

Thanks! I'm going to find this useful if I ever get my studio set up!
Old 2012-05-12, 1:46pm

Has information been posted before on how to set up the home fill system?

What I'm thinking of doing is connecting 2 oxy cons to a holding tank and then working off that to the torch.

I had 2 oxy cons, but one of them just quit producing oxygen. It is used, but with few hours and looks brand new inside and out.

Any quick tips on what to look for on why it stopped working correctly?

Barbara
Old 2012-05-12, 1:53pm
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28676bhe View Post
Has information been posted before on how to set up the home fill system?

What I'm thinking of doing is connecting 2 oxy cons to a holding tank and then working off that to the torch.

I had 2 oxy cons, but one of them just quit producing oxygen. It is used, but with few hours and looks brand new inside and out.

Any quick tips on what to look for on why it stopped working correctly?

Barbara
YES! There's been a good amount of Homefill posts here. I have a piece in the kiln right now so I cant click the search box and find it, but its here in the Boro Room.

2 Oxygen Concentrators to a holding tank will give you crappy results. And, for the same amount of money +/- 10% you'd be way better off filling a REAL oxygen tank that has 2000psi and a full tank to pull from.

With respect to why one of your concentrators failed, I'm not too sure. Generally concentrators last for tens of thousands of hours. I sold one here a year ago with 33,000 hours on it. Still ran like a tank. For the $$$, by the time you ship it to fix it just buy a new one.
Old 2012-05-13, 8:09am
is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Fill-Ta...-/180880079038

These are the Homefill tanks. Not the tanks you would use for actual glassblowing. They are $50 delivered on eBay. You would steal the nipple off of this is you are making your own high presssure whip.

Usually the nipples are $65, so $50 delivered is pretty solid!
Old 2012-05-13, 8:56am

You rock for this LePatron. I have been half ass looking at this after it came up several weeks back.

What type of connection does the whip go to on the concentrator side? Would you mind posting a picture?
Old 2012-05-13, 6:21pm
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jngljnke View Post
You rock for this LePatron. I have been half ass looking at this after it came up several weeks back.

What type of connection does the whip go to on the concentrator side? Would you mind posting a picture?
The hard part is the nipple. The "nipple" I refer to is how the factory tanks click onto the Homefill. You can take any Invacare tank and simply unscrew it from the tank (when EMPTY of course!) and then make your whip from that. Some folks have a hard time finding the adapter that goes onto our oxygen tanks, and locally I just take it off of the harbor freight budget oxygen regulators.

If you connect the homefills oxygen output to a T *before* your regulator and after your tank, you can fill the tank *while* working, too!

Old 2012-05-13, 8:13pm

Thanks.
Old 2012-05-14, 2:40am
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePatron View Post
Some folks have a hard time finding the adapter that goes onto our oxygen tanks, and locally I just take it off of the harbor freight budget oxygen regulators.

Here are the nipple and nut for CGA 540, should be a bit cheaper
than those regs at HF.

http://www.toolfetch.com/regulator-f...s-312-66.shtml

http://www.toolfetch.com/regulator-f...s-312-62.shtml

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-14, 4:32am

LaPatron, Role, If I could rep you here I would. Very useful info right there. Thanks!

Stephen
Old 2012-05-14, 2:18pm
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Role View Post
Here are the nipple and nut for CGA 540, should be a bit cheaper
than those regs at HF.

http://www.toolfetch.com/regulator-f...s-312-66.shtml

http://www.toolfetch.com/regulator-f...s-312-62.shtml

THANK YOU! That saves a button of money. The only expensive part left is the nipple to the homefill!
Old 2012-05-14, 2:53pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePatron View Post
The only expensive part left is the nipple to the homefill!
The easy solution for that is to replace the coupling on the homefill
with a standard high pressure quick connect.

Walther couplings has them rated to 3600 PSI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-14, 4:14pm
is

But does the coupling on the homefill disconnect easily enough to put a threaded connector on it for the whip? (I dont know!)
Old 2012-05-14, 4:40pm
Cave Dweller

I can't find a parts diagram so the only way to tell is to open it up and look.

I am almost positive the output has some standard threads on it where
the bottle coupling is connected to the compressor output.

Wherever those threads are you can attach your own HP hose with a
standard HP quick connector.

Old 2012-05-20, 10:24am
is

Here's a Homefill for $750 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Homefill-II-...#ht_500wt_1413

Comes with two tanks (which you can resell for $100 each) and all the tubing.
Old 2012-05-21, 6:09pm
is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Homefill-1-M...#ht_500wt_1413

Homefill for $400 (Ends in 20 hours!) and $30 shipping.Comes with a tank so you dont need the nipple for the whip later.
Old 2012-05-21, 7:26pm

I got some of the new oxy cons like you have for $150 used for $100 a while back. Honsetly I liked the old oxy cons better they seemed to have less purity issues as they have bigger sieve beds and oxygen holding tanks. The new ones are quieter and use a tiny bit less electricity.

I believe it is a western enterprises B50 if you want to add in a regulator attachment to torch and fill

I have some nipples with the connector to 1/4 npt shipped if anyone needs one.

I am glad that whip is holding up for you
Old 2012-05-29, 7:43pm

I have been looking into this for a while and finally made the first step. I purchased a Homefill II and Platinum 5 concentrator. Also got 2 medical tanks + carts as part of the deal, but not sure I can/would use them. So I will sell them which makes the bottom line look even better.

For anyone that is looking into this, I found a link to the manual. It provides some details that may be helpful if you're looking at how this unit works.

http://www.aamedicalequipment.com/re...ncentrator.pdf

Also, a HUGE thanks to LePatron for answering my questions. It is people like you that make this community great to be a part of. Now I just need the whip and a tank and I'm set to give it a go!

Download Bails Made Easy & Homefill adapter tutorials free.
Old 2012-05-29, 8:02pm

Hey Role,

Here is a link to the parts manual. What it doesn't show is an exploded view of the Homefill so you could tell if there is a possibility of changing that special connector.

The document has parts and diagrams for the concentrators and homefill ii system.

http://www.invacare.com/parts/assembly/93_38.pdf

Old 2012-05-30, 11:56pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyglassman View Post
Hey Role,

Here is a link to the parts manual. What it doesn't show is an exploded view of the Homefill so you could tell if there is a possibility of changing that special connector.

The document has parts and diagrams for the concentrators and homefill ii system.

http://www.invacare.com/parts/assembly/93_38.pdf
Unfortunately it does not include the parts list for the homefill.

I would suggest PMing Boston on Talk Glass.
(www.talkglass.com)

He is familiar with the complete tear down on the homefill and
I am almost positive he can tell you the exact fittings you will
need.

Good luck and thanks for posting that info.

Old 2012-06-20, 12:52pm

I have a Homefill system for sale that I put in the Garage Sale. Thought I'd share here since people may be following this thread. It has very low hours and works great!

Old 2012-06-26, 10:11pm
Alaska Boro

Located a Omni 5 Chad (Respironics) concentrator that has a built in home fill system. Looks like 5 LPM out.

1) Has anyone used this system for filling a K tank. And if so how well does it perform.

2) Looking for the service manual. Did not find any listed on the net under Chad, Respironics or Omni 5.

The conversion looks similar to those using the Invacare home fill system but without the added top unit.
Old 2012-06-26, 11:02pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Located a Omni 5 Chad (Respironics) concentrator that has a built in home fill system. Looks like 5 LPM out.

1) Has anyone used this system for filling a K tank. And if so how well does it perform.

2) Looking for the service manual. Did not find any listed on the net under Chad, Respironics or Omni 5.

The conversion looks similar to those using the Invacare home fill system but without the added top unit.
Respironics acquired this system in 2009 from Chad, the original had a
3 LPM max output which has been changed to 5LPM.

Max fill spec is 2K PSI into a max D-E sized tank.

It appears Respironics only sold it for a very short time.

Dealer Brochure

Complete write up on capabilities.

Can't find the service manual, not even to purchase.

Looks fun to play with, put it on some inner tubes and float it down to
Oregon when you get bored with it.

Old 2012-06-27, 1:44am
Alaska Boro

Role:

Appreciate the two links. You did much better than my search which ended with little to find. Did find one FDA document in which the Total O2 flow meter at 3 LPM was changed out to 5 LPM. And was approved.

There is some difference between the Total O2 and the Omni 5. There are more filters or perhaps mufflers in the supply lines. In the Total O2 these are missing. IMO the Omni 5 is the newer version.

Now to look for an oxygen meter to check the purity of the outputs to see what is going on. Seems that both fire up and work. But have no idea of the overall purity. It seems that it would be over 90% at low a LPM setting as indicated in the brochure.

It would appear that there are on the rare side as even on Talk Glass there is little mention of either.

It will be interesting to see how well they convert. The concerning part is that there is an overall hour meter, but no meter on the high pressure compressor. Thus it is unknown how many actual hours are on each segment of the machine.

It would take a few inner tubes to float these down the coast. But all in all it would be an interesting journey to the lower 48.

Appreciate what you have found.

Thanks again.....

Last edited by Alaska; 2012-06-27 at 1:56am.
Old 2012-06-27, 8:59am

I have a home fill system that I have been using since Christmas and I am loving it. I just heard from someone that if I had it hooked up to two tanks instead of one that it would fill better is that true. What do you guys think.

Old 2012-06-27, 10:04am

Default pressure

From what I have read, the advantage will be less strain on your homefill. You will the same amount of oxy, but instead of having 1 tank that has to pressurize to 2000 psi, it can be 1000 psi in two tanks which will take less effort on the machine and prolong its' life. Just my .02.

Stephen
Old 2012-06-27, 10:58am
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Now to look for an oxygen meter to check the purity of the outputs to see what is going on. Seems that both fire up and work. But have no idea of the overall purity. It seems that it would be over 90% at low a LPM setting as indicated in the brochure.
I'll bet the purity is really good on the fill side.

It has a second sieve for the fill input, I would assume since it
is two stage that purity will be 95% - 97% for the fill station.

Really cool unit, good luck with it.

Old 2012-06-27, 9:29pm
Alaska Boro

Thanks for noticing the 3rd sieve bed located horizontally at the top. That should, as stated, increase the purity.

Here is a left and right side image.

Is it correct to assume that the three white objects placed in the air supply lines are perhaps used to reduce noise? Or some sort of air filter? Most likely can be removed as the Total O2 does not have these inline devices.
Old 2012-06-27, 11:15pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Is it correct to assume that the three white objects placed in the air supply lines are perhaps used to reduce noise? Or some sort of air filter? Most likely can be removed as the Total O2 does not have these inline devices.
It looks like one is on the main air intake and the other two feed the
moisture oven (or whatever the hell the heater used to remove moisture
is called..).

My assumption is those are bio-filters (or maybe moisture traps but I think
they are bio-filters).

They could be mufflers, but I have not seen any muffler on the intake
before.

I am curious how it well it will work !!!

Old 2012-06-28, 2:02am
Cave Dweller

While searching for more info on Alaska's cool concentrator/fill station,
I believe I may have found the homefill holy grail:

Respironics UltraFill

This unit fills to 3K PSI so pushing K tanks to 2K should not stress this
machine nearly as bad as using the less than 2K PSI Invacare unit.

$4K is the only price I have found so far.

The search for the cheap used one begins...