Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-07-20, 9:11pm
Dakine glass man

I have ran carlisle, nortel, beth, knight, national, and GTT. I have yet to get the chance on a herbie, but in my experience GTT is the way to go. Currently am running a Kobuki, but have used the lynx, phantom, and mirage. I actually found that I was able to gather faster with more control using the phantom than the mirage.....Think it has to do with how fast the heat penetrates vs surface area being heated. Anyways Get the Kobuki if you can afford it, but take into account that the foot pedal to run it is more like $800-900 as it is a 3 stage torch. Normally there is a wait list for all large GTT torches, so if you have close to enough cash I would order it now as you will probably have enough by the time they finish building your torch. Also as a side not I found I used less oxy running my Kobuki than my mirage as I hardly ever need the 3rd ring except when doing MASSIVE gathers. Once you get your new girlfriend (mines my mistress..wife hates that) you will be amazed at how fast you can gather a 2" marble. Buy the kobuki and your crystal balls will grow

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2012-07-20, 9:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
I have it on good authority that Bethlehem is soon to be replacing the PM2D with a more Bravo like model.
Thats a shame. That was a workhorse.
Old 2012-07-21, 3:40am
Now part of the Dark Side

I didn't get too many specs except that the face design is going to be like the Bravo, approximately 2.5 oxy ports for every fuel gas port. And that the consumption characteristics would be proportionally larger(at full flame). Bethlehem did not give a release date except to say hopefully around year end. No mention if it is water cooled or air cooled. After the Alpha and the Bravo I was sort of expecting a move like this. IF the quality is the same as the Bravo, it should be a fantastic torch, and usable from small tanks!
Old 2012-07-21, 3:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Thats a shame. That was a workhorse.
I expect the new one to be just as rugged if not more so. It's going to be all stainless. My bravo is built like a tank, seriously. I'd recommend it for a beginner torch with out hesitation. I understand your feelings though, it would be like Carlisle replacing the CC or the CC+, they have been industry standards for years.
Old 2012-07-21, 6:29am
Pyromaniac

Torch buying advice recap:

When buying torches, always consider buying a bigger torch than you think you will need, budget permitting. Particularly if it is a multi-stage torch with a smaller, more precise center-fire. You can always turn the big torch down, but you can only turn the small torch UP so far. I don't regret buying the Barracuda, but less than a year later I was straining it's upper limits...and have been for more years than I like. (f.u. economy)

Most larger torches typically don't lose much value...so once again, if you can afford more torch, but decide it's too big, you won't lose much money...and some (extremely well-maintained) torches actually sell used for more than retail on occasion, due to long lead times and impatient glassblowers.

Considering a GTT triple mix? Use tanked oxy for maximum effectiveness. There are other torches specifically designed for concentrators these days.

Working solid? Can't beat a GTT triple mix.

Back to buying the big torch: If you are considering a GTT triple mix, try a Lynx and see how that works out for you. It's the standard center-fire on many larger GTT's. If the Lynx treats you good, now you know you can work on the bigger torch no matter what.

I will be buying a GTT Mirage eventually... and it's a fantastic torch...but if money were no object I'd buy a Kobuki or a Delta Mag... Not that I really need either at my current stage but the added heat for larger marbles would really be nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew1492 View Post
the person I sold my mirage to said the big flame can get to be a intimidating at times.
That's fricken hilarious... I gotta say, after working on a Barracuda, the first time I saw a GTT Phantom fired up I was like "awww, isn't that cute". It seemed small and unintimidating to me. The Mirage looked more on-par with the Barracuda to me - VISUALLY anyhow

I don't feel there's a huge learning curve with a GTT if you're working solid. Things just take less time, and you have to be cognizant of how much more heat is being pushed into the piece compared to torches with less focused flames. Working hollow is definitely a different story, my already inexpert fumbling was not nearly as enjoyable at first.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-07-21, 6:30am
Pyromaniac

Yeah I'm a GTT fan. I'm scared to try a Herbie... I have a small torch collection going already...(5 at last count)

Old 2012-07-21, 8:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Yeah I'm a GTT fan. I'm scared to try a Herbie... I have a small torch collection going already...(5 at last count)
ABR has the 40 now for $2600 but you also need the inline reg and a source for air. I am tempted regularly but have not yet given in to the new tool jones. I have not really fully opened up my Mirage yet. I cant see needing a larger torch for a very long time. The real issue for me is managing the available heat. Things happen really fast when I am heating in a 2+ inch marble with it and can go south even quicker It leaves very little room for recovery if you dont pay complete attention to what is happening. I still gather, assemble, and apply color and decoration with just the Lynx for this reason. The outer fire is reserved for bringing the whole mass up to temp. I think most folks really underestimate the brawn of that Lynx center alone.
Old 2012-07-21, 6:17pm
Pyromaniac

Agreed. The lynx full bore is surprisingly hot, not as hot as my 'cuda - but it feels like that's mostly because it's just not as wide of a flame. The 'penetration' is outstanding. Whatever that means

Old 2012-08-01, 1:49pm

just to throw out another torch Carlise is now making a new torch called the lucio burner the oxy and fuel are switched on how they feed on the torch face, I played with one at open torch at the gathering last week and it has a really interesting flame. the one there was a single stage torch but they will be producing a two stage one as well.
I played with a bravo as well and it was a fine torch but I liked the single stage lucio better than the bravo I would love to see the two stage lucio.
the lucio is an italian style torch so the flame characteristics are not like anything I have played with before

#C-151
Old 2012-08-12, 8:13am

Is there like a chart somewhere? Looking for a break down comparison of the flame size the torches can get to, temps, expected mm rod it will be able to melt. Kinda thing.

Old 2012-08-12, 9:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
Is there like a chart somewhere? Looking for a break down comparison of the flame size the torches can get to, temps, expected mm rod it will be able to melt. Kinda thing.
You may have to compile your own. I know for certain the Bethlehem states the flame size, gas consumption and max rod and tubing size for each of their torches on their web site. GTT might, I can't remember.

http://www.bethlehemburners.com/

http://www.glasstorchtech.com/
Old 2012-08-12, 9:22am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baywinger View Post
just to throw out another torch Carlise is now making a new torch called the lucio burner the oxy and fuel are switched on how they feed on the torch face, I played with one at open torch at the gathering last week and it has a really interesting flame. the one there was a single stage torch but they will be producing a two stage one as well.
I played with a bravo as well and it was a fine torch but I liked the single stage lucio better than the bravo I would love to see the two stage lucio.
the lucio is an italian style torch so the flame characteristics are not like anything I have played with before
i "heard....(as in read somewhere or another) that the lucio burner isn't that great for boro due to it's somewhat bushy flame, and it's hard to get anything near pinpoint out of it.

again, take that with a grain of salt because it's just a magazine/web article after all.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
i "heard....(as in read somewhere or another) that the lucio burner isn't that great for boro due to it's somewhat bushy flame, and it's hard to get anything near pinpoint out of it.

again, take that with a grain of salt because it's just a magazine/web article after all.
there is no pinpint flame, the italians work differently by using the edge of the flame and different sections of the flame, and they can do amazingly detailed work.
it is a bushy flame but it is hot I Had no trouble melting boro in the flame though I did not get a chance to do any large marble work.
I liked the torch a lot but then I use a cheetah so I am used to wider flames
I tried the Bravo and I found the inner fire way to skinny lol

#C-151
Old 2012-08-12, 12:14pm

I got a Q on the Bravo.... their website says it's optimum oxygen pressure is 8psi.
Does that mean it can run on one 15psi oxycon?

Anyone running a bravo with oxycons?

Old 2012-08-12, 1:01pm

they ran the bravo on a single regalia oxycon at the open torch

#C-151
Old 2012-08-12, 2:14pm

Quote:

Depends on what you are doing. volume is often more important than pressure. Signguy is running one on 3 oxy cons.
Old 2012-08-12, 5:27pm

Have to say I am very pleased with my GTT Mirage I bought over ten years ago. It is an extremely versatile torch. It comes with a large enough price tag but I've never regretted a penny spent on it. Back in the day I was in the "apparatus" field. These days I am making both soft and boro beads with it and plan on doing marble and sculpture work with as well. I would say that with this torch you could do almost anything you got an itch to do. Very happy. And like some others have mentioned, if you ended up not liking it for some reason you would be able to sell it to someone very fast for almost the same price you bought it for. No problem at all. But I would be surprised if you didn't like it lol. Good luck in your search
Old 2012-08-12, 6:58pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
I got a Q on the Bravo.... their website says it's optimum oxygen pressure is 8psi.

Yes, I have the Bravo and 3 M-15s. (approx 20 LPM O2)

One M-15 is inadequate can only fire the center.
Two is passable and can work one inch boro okay.
Three is much better and close to tanked.
(close, not 100%)

Old 2013-12-05, 1:43pm

Agree on the kobuki, especially for solid work. I prefer my Herbie 40 for hollow typically, but if I had to choose a torch for everything it would be my kobuki without question. And the phantom ring make the torch really oxygen efficient if you need it to be.
Old 2013-12-06, 8:08am

Hey, if you want to go really big - GTT's "big torch" run is coming before Xmas. My friend just got a call for his Ninja, shipping soon hopefully. Maybe if you call around to GTT and the big online guys (ABR, Mountain, etc...) you can get one?

He will be selling a Mirage plus the foot pedal (he needs a 2-stage pedal for the Ninja) and I think it's gonna be a good price.

PM me if you are interested and I'll put you in touch with him.
Old 2013-12-14, 4:47pm

Default I got the Bethlehem Champion

Thank you all for all the suggestions and help. While I'm sure that in the future I will likely buy the Mirage, Kobuki, Delta Elite or maybe even one of the new larger GTT torches, I really liked the flames of my Beth Bravo torch and have now bought the Bethlehem Champion torch. I have not had a chance to use it yet as I need to modify the foot pedal by adding some hose to connect it up properly so I can mount the foot pedal assembly under my work bench. I did connect my Bravo foot pedal to the Champion and tested it out and it is very nice. I'm going to build a second foot switch so I can have my Bravo on one bench and Champion on the other for when I have fellow lampwork friends over for torch time. Now to figure out what I need to extend the hoses so I can buy the stuff.

John aka "BIG JOHN"