LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2006-11-16, 11:52am
ManBearPig

Default Pulling points

I have seen a lot of people ask about pulling points recently. So, this is how I do it. Not the only way, but the way that works best for me. Oh, and pay no attention to how messy the shop is...

Start with the rod you want to pull a point from. This is 26mm diamter 4.0mm wall tubing. But the process is the same with any tubing. Make sure both ends of the tube are open.

Using a wide, bushy flame, start heating a section of the point while rotating. It helps to angle the tube so a wider area gets hot.

When the area gets soft and has a dull glow, take the tube out of the flame. Keep rotating. The mistake most people make is getting it too hot at this point. It doesn't take a lot of heat.

Start pulling apart slowly until the glass sets up...

...and then pull faster until the glass completely sets up and you can't pull any more.

At this point you can melt the thin handle in half, cut it in half or whatever. Just make sure you don't have both ends of the point melted shut.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-16, 12:22pm
No Problem!

I can add a few pointers here.. when you start with a whole length of tube find the middle and do what Chad did to split the tube ideally giving you two half lengths of tube, each with a "point". Then go from there, always pulling the point long enough to leave a nice handle/point on the remaining tube.
The thing that was most difficult for me at first was getting the points to be long enough without being too thin. If you have a heavy section with a weak point or are too rough when decorating it can break and any number of bad things can happen, from cutting your hand to losing the piece.. I've done both. I could just be a dope but this used to happen until I learned to pull the points properly.
Take your time heating up a section that is at least 2x the diameter of the tube (this varies depending on the wall thickness).
If the point turns slightly off center, you can gently heat the "shoulder" (where the glass transitions from tube to point) and adjust while turning, don't push or pull just gently adjust the axis..

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2006-11-16, 3:06pm
Type ZZZ personality

Thanks, Chad and Beau! I had the general idea, but it's always better to see something in action.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-11-16, 3:17pm
Master Procrastinator

I'd like to ask a question if I may, keep in mind I've never done this before...what do you do with the tube once you've pulled it? Can you make hollow beads out of it? If so, how do you finish off the holes?

Old 2006-11-16, 7:09pm
ManBearPig

You can do many things with it. You can make hollow beads out of it. Make goblet cups and feet, hollow scuplture, etc. Here is one other thing I make with them. I've never posted it on here because I wasn't sure how it was looked upon on this board.

There are a couple ways to finish off the holes. The way I do it is to pull the point very thin and cut it with some disc nippers so it opens up, then flame polish it.

Old 2006-11-16, 7:14pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Nice to see how to work Boro. Even though there might not be an interest in spoons for some, it is very cool to see you work Boro!

From a soft glass worker.

Old 2006-11-16, 7:20pm
ManBearPig

If you haven't seen my other tutorials, here are some other things to do with boro...

www.soleiletlune.com/tutorials

Old 2006-11-16, 7:28pm
Cancer SUCKS!

BTW, weren't you opening a new store?

Would love to hear an update. Hope it is going better anyway!

Old 2006-11-16, 8:46pm

Chad, Sweet spoon dude! Nice tut!
Old 2006-11-17, 6:37am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
BTW, weren't you opening a new store?

Would love to hear an update. Hope it is going better anyway!
Yep. We hope to be open by the end of the year. We're just waiting on some money to come in. We have the space rented, but it's empty right now. Once we get some money we're going to start putting things in there...

Old 2006-11-17, 9:14am
Missing presumed fed

One of the things I found difficult was learning to rotate without stopping. Beadmakers think we rotate continuously, but we don't. We turn the mandrel until our thumb reaches the end of our fingers, then reposition, then start again. Learning to turn two hands independently so that the glass kept moving all the time, evenly, even when it got mooshy in the middle, wasn't easy -- particularly because people seem to use different hand positions to do it, and lots of them are convinced that their positions are the ONLY POSSIBLE CORRECT ONES, even though their positions aren't the same.

A friend told me that he's been having much more success with points lately after a teacher told him to handle them "like feathers." The gentle touch works for him, I guess.
Old 2006-11-17, 11:18am

Chad.. excellent tut! Thank you!

You guys are um... kidding about the "spoons" right?

Evolution is only a theory, just like, um, gravity.

SAVE THE CHEERLEADER, SAVE THE WORLD!
Old 2006-11-17, 11:24am
Flossy-Flossy

Is that what I think it is, Cosmo?

I started out thinking it was a bottle stopper...

Old 2006-11-17, 11:30am
product of the universe

Since we're showing tutorials, ya can do this with boro also http://www.glassartists.org/Gal20056...milli_demo.asp

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2006-11-18, 7:31am
ManBearPig

A spoon is the type of piece being made. So called because it's shaped like a spoon.

Old 2006-11-18, 8:37am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
One of the things I found difficult was learning to rotate without stopping. Beadmakers think we rotate continuously, but we don't. We turn the mandrel until our thumb reaches the end of our fingers, then reposition, then start again.
This is an extremely important thing (turning smoothly, non-stop, evenly) in our vessel classes, and probably the hardest thing for folks to do.

Nice tut, Chad!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2006-11-18, 7:29pm

Chad How cool. Especially the spoon!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-11-18, 9:26pm
Glass Jack in the Box

Ah, nice.

Too bad this kind of stuff won't work on a hot head torch (because the flame is too small/too cool for it).

I'm sure it'll work on a Lynx or Cheetah.

PondRacer
Old 2006-11-20, 7:49am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
One of the things I found difficult was learning to rotate without stopping.
The best way to learn that is to rotate with both hands. To practice, take cool rod of glass at least 12" long, and hold it in both hands with your hands at the end. When you are rotating a bead on a mandrel, you spin it as far as you can, then pause, move your thumb back down, and start rotating again. When rotating with both hands, when you get to the point where you have rotated as far as you can, rotate with the other hand while you are moving your thumb back into position. That way you are constantly alternating between rotating with your left then your right hand, and you are creating a smooth rotation.

Hope that's not too confusing. This is something that's much easier to show than to try to describe with words.

Old 2006-11-28, 12:44pm

After many months of neglecting my box o boro in favor of soft glass, I pulled a bunch of points to make glass ornaments on sunday & had a blast. I wish I could try that spoon... the studio I rent torch time is too family friendly for such items, alas.

Ornaments are really easy, you just decorate your point, then heat it up evenly (carefull not to heat the neck or shoulder where the handle is) while rotating, then blow a nice bubble. Cut the stem/handle off later when its cooled or annealead, & attach a typical ornament "hat" & hook. These really impress the grand parents as gifts!

Question about the spoon though, in case I ever get to try one... when you're blowing out the carb hole in the side, do you have to plug the hole in the bowl temporarily? I would expect the air to go out that hole instead of blowing out a new hole...
Old 2006-11-28, 12:56pm
ManBearPig

Nope. You don't have to. Some people do, but I don't. Get it really hot first, and it will blow out just fine.

Old 2006-11-30, 12:28pm

thanks for the tut Chad! hopefully someday I will be able to do boro

Old 2006-11-30, 6:07pm
Dangerous Woman

Man, now I REALLY want that 2nd concentrator and some boro!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-12-01, 9:16pm
Just me

Fascinating!
Thanks for being so generous and sharing your knowledge Chad.
Some day I'll get some boro, glasses, and time!

Old 2006-12-12, 8:51am
The Andrea Half

Nice tutorials! Question: what would you use a spoon that heavy for?

Old 2006-12-12, 9:08am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincot View Post
Nice tutorials! Question: what would you use a spoon that heavy for?
I just make them. People can use them however they see fit...

Old 2006-12-12, 9:15am
The Andrea Half

Might be nice for a decorative set for the kitchen; I have an elderly aunt who is VERY hard to buy for and those look pretty.

Old 2006-12-12, 9:59am
Missing presumed fed

It's not an actual spoon. I believe it's a type of pipe called a spoon because of the shape.
Old 2006-12-15, 6:03am
Pyromaniac

Nice Tutorial Cosmo, thanks!

Mincot: Does your elderly aunt suffer from glaucoma, loss of appetite, arthritis or other pain, or is she undergoing chemotherapy or other harsh drug treatments? Does she live in Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, or Washington? If so, this spoon may be just the thing for her!

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy

Last edited by Bunyip; 2006-12-15 at 11:18am.
Old 2006-12-16, 12:08pm
Serenity Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Nice Tutorial Cosmo, thanks!

Mincot: Does your elderly aunt suffer from glaucoma, loss of appetite, arthritis or other pain, or is she undergoing chemotherapy or other harsh drug treatments? Does she live in Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, or Washington? If so, this spoon may be just the thing for her!

Nice tute Chad...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here: