Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-06-07, 4:30am

Default Feather boro pendants?

These are lovely, and a neat jumping off point for a project I have in mind. I am NOT out to rip anyone off. But, I am wondering how these are made? Sculpting/flattening boro rod, and raking color, then adding a glass loop/bail? http://pinterest.com/pin/206673070372706676/ Any other ideas?
I did a search on feathers, and got lovely, feathering, texturing posts, but nt exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Old 2013-06-07, 5:49am

It looks to me like a stringer is wrapped repeatedly around the tip of a rod and then the whole bit is flattened, raked, and stretched. The edges appear to have little cut marks in them - probably just heat and clip with scissors.

The stringer color looks like some kind of silvery or metallic glass. My first guess would be boro, but I bet you could get similar results using double helix glass or some of the other fancy soft glass colors. Seems like the top is just flipped over towards the back to create a loop. They do look really cool. I bet they could be expanded on a bit - add different color stringers in the same feather, or a twisty to get a more mottled look like a turkey feather... that or just do a half clear half colored stringer to get the fade affect.

http://www.photo-dictionary.com/phra...feather.html#b

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-06-07, 9:02am

Thanks! That makes sense. It should be fun to play and find out. I was thinking of fuming and adding a pecock feather eye, and trapping the silver fume in with clear and making it shine and bling.
Old 2013-06-07, 11:59am
Now part of the Dark Side

Looks to me like they made a pair of large lollipops, put the color on one, then sandwiched and twisted. They could then be raked down the center or cut with scissors and rejoined, like making a heart. Finally shape as desired. (This is my guess at how I would try to achieve the effect shown, not saying that is how it was accomplished.)
Old 2013-06-07, 2:17pm

Ask the artist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

_
Old 2013-06-07, 3:00pm
Happy Inner Dragon

They're absolutely gorgeous!

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2013-06-07, 3:01pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
Looks to me like they made a pair of large lollipops, put the color on one, then sandwiched and twisted. They could then be raked down the center or cut with scissors and rejoined, like making a heart. Finally shape as desired. (This is my guess at how I would try to achieve the effect shown, not saying that is how it was accomplished.)
Almost.

These can be made in soft glass or boro using the same technique. I made a bunch a few years ago as a custom order. It's basically a big fat twistie and it's pretty much the same as making leaves. You just make a few decorative changes for it to be a feather.

1. Choose a base color and make a semi-large gather and squish into lollipop.

2. Stripe on whatever contrasting colors you want to use and punty the other end with whatever color you want the tip to be.

3. Melt into a football shape and twist (tight) but don't pull it too long. 1-2" is about the length you want at 6-10mm thick.

4. Melt off the tip end, leaving about 10mm of the tip color

5. Mash into lollipop again.

6. Heat the center from to bottom to top, getting it soft.

7. Rake from inside the tip color to the top. Repeat on the other side. (optional)

8. Heat the edge and snip with scissors. (I do 2 on each side.)

9. Re-attach the tip colored punty, heat the entire thing and stretch to desired length/shape.

10. Heat & pull the loop from the top rod.

11. Pull the tip to a point and detach rod.

12. Put in the kiln.

Old 2013-06-07, 3:02pm
I fart diamonds

(Sounds complicated but they're super easy and only take a couple of minutes to make.)

Old 2013-06-07, 3:21pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Awesome! Thanks for that, Shawnette
I have an idea in miniature.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2013-06-07, 3:38pm

Whoa, these are yours, shawnette? I just saw them on pinterest and fell in love. incredible. Thanks for the info!
Old 2013-06-07, 4:55pm
I fart diamonds

No no no! They are not mine. I've made lots of pendants and drops just like them.

Old 2013-06-07, 7:08pm
grama punky - class junky

Thanks for sharing.