Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2012-01-04, 11:08am

oooo Amy those look really cool,thanks for pointing that style out.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2012-01-04, 11:46pm
Duchess of Dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
Hey! That style looks cool, me likey

LeslieDana - the Joanne's near me doesn't have anything like a glue-on button back
Thanks for checking Ginny!

Maybe ebay or etsy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-07, 3:41pm
Yeller Rose

These are quick to do and portable (take to MD appt.)
I didn't have leather so I used rubber cord I had on hand, with 6 mm stone beads and a button I made. Thanks for the great directions. Barb
Attached Images

Old 2012-01-07, 3:45pm
Hobby Junkie

I love making these! They are so quick and easy. Here are 3 that I made the other night when I couldn't sleep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-01-07, 8:43pm
Still makin' flowers...

Love them, Cori & Barb!

Did you ever find your button backs, Leslie?

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2012-01-07, 9:16pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Leslie, I was thinking about you and the button backs. How about checking on the packages of make your own buttons? The kit might have a back you can use. You can check without opening the package. Just a thought.
Old 2012-01-07, 9:26pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I have packs and packs of those button backs and can't remember where the heck I got them all from...

Old 2012-01-07, 10:29pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I think I can find mine. I will look in the morning.
Old 2012-01-08, 3:40pm
Duchess of Dichro

Thanks Pat, I have not been able to find any locally to check out

Old 2012-01-08, 3:48pm

Zoozii's has these button backs.
http://www.zooziis.com/buttons.aspx

Old 2012-01-16, 12:55pm
N2Beadz

I finally bought some 2mm leather cord over the weekend. Today I sat down to play with the ladder stitch bracelet directions Hannah posted. Thank you so much Hannah for giving us a little push by posting this thread and some instructions to get us moving towards yet another new craze.

I also purchased a bracelet that Dawn shared in post #60. It's the green crystal one with her button and OMGosh as usual with pics it just didn't capture the true beauty of her design. Dawn also gifted me one of her gorgeous handmade buttons which I will be using soon, ThAnK YoU again Dawn.

Sorry, no lampwork with this one. I was die hard set on using one of my antique glass buttons and the beads selected matched well. My big problem was that the hole through the button was really small and the cord was no way traveling through it. So I worked the button in just a bit different to make it work. I like the way it turned out and will work up another just like it for a possible sale item.

After reading through this thread and seeing a few people chat about working with the 6 yards of thread being time consuming I found this method quite helpful along with Hannah's tutorial...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BvINyknDtA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwPps...eature=related

Thanks to everyone who added info to Hannah's thread and of course for keeping it going with all the pics.

Last edited by donia; 2012-01-16 at 1:10pm.
Old 2012-01-16, 1:01pm
Growing Edge Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
I love making these! They are so quick and easy. Here are 3 that I made the other night when I couldn't sleep.

LOVE!!

-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2012-01-16, 1:23pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Leslie, I am sorry. I thought I had answered..brain farts. The button maker backs have a bent ridged edge that would have to be straighted out. I am not sure they would work at all. I looked at the zooziis and they seem perfect!
Old 2012-01-17, 4:52am
Your Royal Fritness

Wow Donia that is Beautiful, that button really looks great with the beads! Thanks for the links too, I like the way she finishes her bracelets.

Cori those are really nice!

Hugs, Dawn

Old 2012-01-17, 6:03am
N2Beadz

I'd like to make the suggestion to those of you who work up lampwork buttons to make a show & thread thread for them. I've searched for some with the glass shanks that LE peeps may have up for sale and I'm finding slim pickins.

Old 2012-01-17, 2:12pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by donia View Post

After reading through this thread and seeing a few people chat about working with the 6 yards of thread being time consuming I found this method quite helpful along with Hannah's tutorial...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BvINyknDtA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwPps...eature=related

Thanks to everyone who added info to Hannah's thread and of course for keeping it going with all the pics.
Aha!

Old 2012-01-17, 3:56pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Wow...I missed Donia's youtube links. I love this technique and think it should go faster.
I am getting ready to start one tonight and will try this. Thanks for the repost, Amy.
Old 2012-01-17, 4:00pm
Storm Queen

I was ultra frustrated with the super long cord. Plus my first bead doesn't sit right and this method will fix all the issues I was having. My first one is just a practice one anyway. I need to finish it....they take forever!

Old 2012-01-18, 8:39am
Mr Brutus RIP

Donia,
I made buttons with shanks, with out shanks, with copper shanks........I LOVE to make buttons!!!! If you want something in peticular dont' hesitate to ask.....I'm always up for custom orders!!
sUE

Old 2012-01-19, 5:58pm
N2Beadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Donia,
I made buttons with shanks, with out shanks, with copper shanks........I LOVE to make buttons!!!! If you want something in peticular dont' hesitate to ask.....I'm always up for custom orders!!
sUE
Thanks!!! I will be eye spying your shop.

Here's two more I finished up this afternoon...

Last edited by donia; 2012-01-19 at 6:03pm.
Old 2012-01-20, 8:48am

I love the bracelet with the starfish button Donia! I keep stalking your etsy to see if you list it. lol

Old 2012-01-20, 12:44pm
Storm Queen

Check this one out:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/90683671...-magnesite-red

Old 2012-01-20, 3:12pm
N2Beadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
I love the bracelet with the starfish button Donia! I keep stalking your etsy to see if you list it. lol
That one's a keeper, but I thought I had another button like it in my stash and can't come across it. I was out today searching Joanne's where I'm pretty sure I purchased it with no luck. My mom has a friend wanting one as well. I have one half way finished now with the same beads and a glass button Dawn gifted me when I purchased her ladder bracelet from page two of this thread. I'll post a pic when finished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I've been eye spying this shop for weeks. I love the change ups and color combos.

Old 2012-01-20, 3:31pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Now you have me watching her shop, Amy. I too love some of her color combos. I just had to fav her shop. She doesn't seem to be charging enough to me.

I need to get faster, but that new way just doesn't seem to work with me. I have watched her video several times. My beads just won't stay down!! But it is all cut and on the board and will be pretty when finished, so I am determined to do just that!!

Have finished three more 4xwraps I love. Will have to show before my daughter snaps them up. She grabbed the black one I showed with the gold mixed beads. I used an antique button from gramma's box. Now she has bought 100 silver beads and wants one with those and black on black. I guess I will do that this weekend while waiting for my SIL to make my rug frame!! Of my the projects just keep on going...................
Old 2012-01-20, 3:35pm
Storm Queen

Jeez, I still haven't finished my first one. I did order more leather. The stuff I was using was at least 15 years old and really kinked up. It's a practice one anyway. I'm anxious to try the other way with two strings instead of one.

Old 2012-01-20, 4:50pm

I love the way she did her buttonhole in the link you posted Amy. Plus the multiple cords. Very cool.

Donia, I'm going to pout for a minute.......

OK, done. I've made big glass starfish, now I wonder if I can make a button size starfish.

Old 2012-01-20, 4:57pm
GlassDocNC

Quote:
I've made big glass starfish, now I wonder if I can make a button size starfish.
Why yes, I think you can!

(and I wanna see!)

Take life with a grain of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
Old 2012-01-20, 5:35pm

I wanna see too. lol

Old 2012-01-20, 5:45pm
Mr Brutus RIP

well, I just finished a pretty etched transparent spacers with a double wrap and big etched disk bead for the closure.......my dd tried it on today and off it went. Sadly I forgot to take a pic but maybe I will remember when she picks up my grandbaby tomorrow.

Donia, you are doing a beautiful job with them!! LOVE the starfish one!!
Sue

Old 2012-01-20, 7:21pm
N2Beadz

Quote:
Donia, I'm going to pout for a minute.......

OK, done. I've made big glass starfish, now I wonder if I can make a button size starfish.
I'm heading out tomorrow again to search out two other little local shops I may have purchased that button at. Crossing my fingers since I now have two of my mom's friends invading my bead room in search of a bracelet like that one. Her friends now that when I really like something for myself I usually work up another to sell. I searched pages of eBay and Etsy with no luck.

You really should try your hand at making a starfish button. I'm sure I'll want one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Donia, you are doing a beautiful job with them!! LOVE the starfish one!!
Sue
Thanks Sue. I'm enjoying working them up with the two string method. I haven't been able to find any cord in colors other than what I've shown pics of like a natural, black, and brown. I ordered a pink, blue, red, and a pearl shimmer that I can't wait to see since I haven't seen it up for sale except when I bought it. We use natural leather dyes in our business and I've been questioning the hubby as to maybe playing with some of this cord and see what shades I can make.