Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2011-10-17, 12:19am
Still makin' flowers...

Default New Macrame and Beads Tutorial - Shamballa Bracelet

I've had a lot of emails over the past few weeks asking about Shamballa bracelets, so I figured I'd better go ahead and write a tutorial about them while they were still trendy.

The "real" ones are inspired by Tibetan lore, but in the past year they have been worn by a lot of hip hop artists and have become immensely popular.

Here's my version - the "real" ones have less macrame and more beads, and I've never seen them done with lampwork (and why NOT?!), but I think you'll be able to adapt easily from the directions. The more beads they use, the less time they take to make, too!

This bracelet is super easy and the tutorial is for beginning beaders. I'm talking "I can cut some thread, but now what do I do with it" beginning level.

Its on my Etsy... 8 pages, $5.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/84039260...crame-bracelet
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-10-18 at 6:40pm.
Old 2011-10-17, 12:49am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Oh, that looks cool. Sending my order through now
Thanks for sharing!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2011-10-17, 6:14am
Still makin' flowers...

Thanks Judith - sent!

!
Old 2011-10-17, 10:06am
Senior Member | Jenelle

Ooohh LIKE. I have been working with silk and knotting with lampwork, trying to find a nice way to make some non-metal lampwork jewelry. This is a fab looking bracelet, can't wait to try! (radiantmind on etsy)- just purchased- Jenelle

|
|
|
|

Old 2011-10-17, 10:43am

Hannah,
Do you have any regular macrame tutorials? My daughter wants to try it and when I was very, very young I used to do it. Now I can't remember a thing.
I'm on my way to get this but I need macrame help!

Old 2011-10-17, 10:55am
Senior Member | Jenelle

got it, thanks!

|
|
|
|

Old 2011-10-17, 2:45pm
Still makin' flowers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Hannah,Do you have any regular macrame tutorials? My daughter wants to try it and when I was very, very young I used to do it. Now I can't remember a thing. I'm on my way to get this but I need macrame help!
Hi Reenie:
This should show your daughter basic macrame. I see you purchased it while I was out, so I'll be sending it along in just a second.

!
Old 2011-10-17, 2:45pm
Still makin' flowers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortaflower View Post
got it, thanks!
Glad it came through!

--------------
Edited to add:
Based on the discussion in the bathroom, I've decided to move some of the information we dug up about those bracelets over here with some links for your amusement.

Firstly, here's a link to some expensive ones:
http://www.kingice.com/Disco-Ball-Be...ts-100613.html
And here's a link Donna dug up ... don't they look the same? From China! Deb, I'm still interested in pricing on these.
http://jewelrieshop.en.alibaba.com/p....html#products
Here's a really expensive one on that first site that cracks me up.
http://www.kingice.com/ROCK-GEMZ-Ste...t-P108881.html
And here's another one that Deb found!
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/47..._Bracelet.html

First of all, these can be made of waxed linen, waxed cotton or hemp, but the natural fibers can wear more easily.
They can also be made of thin leather cording, which is super easy to work with, but can dry out.
I don't recommend polyester (which is what my sample is made of...C-lon) because it can unknot. However, you can BURN the ends of the poly cord instead of using glue.
You can get this stuff from your local bead store or firemountaingems.com or artbeads.com.

Secondly, you'll want some beads for your bracelet. The traditional ones use semiprecious. The "in" ones use what are called disco ball beads (we'll get to that in a moment). The sample I made used... LAMPWORK!

You'll also need some glue. That's pretty much it.

Okay, so back to those beads.

Here's a link that Donna found to the beads that are "in style" right now for them.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/48...Plated_CZ.html
And here's some that are already in the USA.
http://www.glitterize.com/pave-beads...m/cat_109.html

!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-10-17 at 9:36pm.
Old 2011-10-18, 5:33pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Hannah!

This is what I have so far... but I'm kinda stumped. The end of the macrame parts end at just about what fits around my wrist, about 6-1/2"... should I undo part of the ending macrame, each section of macrame is about 1/2". So, I would have 5 sections of 1/2" of macrame and the two end sections would be about 1/4" + however much space the knots take up, then I would do the bar claspy part?
Attached Images

Old 2011-10-18, 5:55pm
Still makin' flowers...

Yup, that's exactly what I would recommend, Donna! It looks great so far!

Except for one part - if you are using C-Lon and just happen to be good with a match (heh! FIRE!) or have a thread burner, turns out you can actually burn those little ends so they don't come apart instead of using that ugly old knot I had in the tutorial. Also remember to add that spot of glue.

!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-10-20 at 12:40pm.
Old 2011-10-18, 5:59pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I don't know what this stuff is. The spools aren't marked in any way. I bought it at a show with some books on micro macrame. The ends aren't fraying at all.

Hmmm lemme see if I can find the books and the person who wrote them, I know she had a website. My books are in the store and I'm at home.

And, now, someone wants to buy this bracelet... so I think I'll wait to finish it, in case her wrist is bigger than mine. When I asked her, she said her wrist is size fat.

Old 2011-10-18, 6:05pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Okay, I guess it is C-lon.

Now I need a thread burner to add to the list.

Old 2011-10-18, 6:14pm
Still makin' flowers...

No! Don't get a thread burner! Grab a lighter instead. Well, yes, get a thread burner because they are awesome, but not just because of this project.

Don't forget to post a photo of it when its finished!

Oh! That's important and something I should add to the tutorial!

Here's how you can tell if your stringing material is a natural fiber or polyester: if you take a match (or lighter or thread burner) to it and it turns to ash, then its natural. If it melts and turns into a little blob, then its polyester (C-Lon is polyester). If you work fast, you can then smash the little blob flat against your working piece with something (not your finger) and it sort of "sets" the piece like a little knot. When we were doing this sort of thing in theatre, we used to use the metal flat part of the lighter.

And while we're at it, here's a guide that I don't exactly agree with on bracelet sizes:
Adult Bracelet Sizes
XS - 6.5 inches
Small - 7 inches
Medium - 7.5 inches
Large - 8 inches
Extra Large - 8.5 inches

Here's another photo of one I just finished using some blingy beads instead of lampwork. In this one I actually wanted to use a lot more beads, so I cut down the macrame between each piece.
Attached Images

!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-10-20 at 12:41pm.
Old 2011-10-18, 6:28pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Hee hee! Well, I don't mind being XS for *something*...

Thanks Hannah!

Old 2011-10-19, 4:02am
Formerly NurseKatie :)

Yay! I just got your tutorial (and another one from your site....I had to stop looking!) Your work is incredibly gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

Old 2011-10-19, 9:19am

I finished this one yesterday. It was really easy after I got the hang of the macrame part. I used to do a bit of macrame when I was a kid and forgot everything so I kept getting a spiral even though I had the directions right in front of me. lol So I taped one of the working cords and that one always went 'under'. Bam! Lightbulb moment.
Anyway, I didn't have any glue so the knots are temporary.

Old 2011-10-19, 9:52am
N2Beadz

I just love that a few of you are sharing your efforts with Hannah's new Sharmballa Bracelet tutorial. BeAuTiFuL work Donna and Rebecca. I have all the bead sets I've been purchasing from many of you just sitting around waiting for a project. I think this is it. Hannah, I'm dealing with a computer hard drive melt down at the moment, but we are researching for our next unit. On our return from a well deserved vacation beginning next week and the set up of a new system I'll be purchasing this one. I'm hoping I can flip over another tutorial I purchased from you way back onto the new system. Hubby says he was able to retrieve most of my beadwork files on a safe mode.

Keep the pictures coming!!! I love to see everyone's bracelet eye candy.

Hey, does this mean I need to start hoarding even more bead sets from you all?

Last edited by donia; 2011-10-19 at 9:54am.
Old 2011-10-19, 9:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
I finished this one yesterday. It was really easy after I got the hang of the macrame part. I used to do a bit of macrame when I was a kid and forgot everything so I kept getting a spiral even though I had the directions right in front of me. lol So I taped one of the working cords and that one always went 'under'. Bam! Lightbulb moment.

Beautiful! Okay so what kind of thread is that. I am on the hunt for some today hopefully locally

Old 2011-10-19, 10:17am
Still makin' flowers...

Quote:
Hi Rebecca! Lovely! Looks like you could use the melt-away method for those knots, too (see above).

If you keep getting the spirals, its a different bracelet, but its also pretty, so don't sweat it too much.

-----
All of today's orders have been sent and I have a bunch of errands I gotta run, so I'll be back later!

edited to add - KEEP THE PHOTOS COMING! I LOVE SEEING THEM!

!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-10-19 at 10:23am.
Old 2011-10-19, 11:24am

Thanks everyone! And Donia, yes! Buy more beads!
Reenie, I bought that cord so long ago. I *think* it's cotton cord, it may be lightly waxed but I'm not sure. Definitely can't do the burned ends to finish, I tried. Anyway, when I bought it, it was being discontinued so it was pretty cheap. I wish I would have bought more black. The beads I used have 3/32" holes and the cord is either 1mm or 1.5mm. It's so hard to tell.

Old 2011-10-19, 1:57pm
Hobby Junkie

Great bracelets everyone!

Glad you decided to make a tutorial of this Hannah! I used to make bracelets like this in the 80's. I'll have to see if I remember how. If I don't, I'll definitely come buy your tut. The ones I've gotten from you were well written and easy to follow, so I'm sure this one will be just as wonderful!

Old 2011-10-19, 4:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
Great bracelets everyone!

Glad you decided to make a tutorial of this Hannah! I used to make bracelets like this in the 80's. I'll have to see if I remember how. If I don't, I'll definitely come buy your tut. The ones I've gotten from you were well written and easy to follow, so I'm sure this one will be just as wonderful!
Beautifully noted.

Old 2011-10-19, 5:42pm
judejudejude

thank you, thank you, thank you. I just received mine and printed it off. i will be making beads this weekend and then the bracelet. Can't wait to see the results. your's and the ones that are posted on this thread are beautiful.
thanks again
judy
Old 2011-10-19, 6:29pm
N2Beadz

Quote:
Thanks everyone! And Donia, yes! Buy more beads!
Yep, it's all about stimulating the economy. Well, that's what I tell the hubby since that's his excuse when modding out his track car. I've been searching my stash. I really think I need more bead sets!!!

There's a set in tonight's S&T thread I like. Not round though. Anyone tried anything other than round beads? I'm sure the shape isn't an issue and will work towards a different unique look.

Old 2011-10-19, 6:48pm
Still makin' flowers...

What shape are they Donia? Mine are done with donuts and they work fine... I'll bet those gems in the gallery will work nicely, too. You're right, there are some lovely sets tonight (Wednesday).

!
Old 2011-10-19, 7:06pm
I think I could be a bead

I just ordered my tut! I can hardly wait to get it! I have a show this weekend. I'll probably make one when there is a lull in business! Thanks!

Old 2011-10-20, 7:01am
Serenity Now!

Wow Hannah - you never cease to amaze me with your up-to-the-moment tutorials, and general wealth of such varied talents! Here's my asymmetrical version this morning because I didn't measure it properly to start with...thing is, I used waxed Irish cord, which held the knots nicely, but kinda got a bit gluey with itself, and as you can see from the pic, little bits of dust just attach right to it! But it was quick, fun and easy, and a great way to use up some of my Boro beads.

Thanks Hannah - you totally rock!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2011-10-20, 7:48am

Love these bracelets !! I've been trying to figure out what to do with all my little 13 mm lentils ... and my STASH of cording !! I think using lentil shaped will look alright, maybe make them more comfy to wear ... will post a pic when I get some done !
Thanks Hannah !! look forward to seeing my Tut !
~~

Old 2011-10-20, 11:53am
novembersfyre everywhere

Hannah, please put some more of these tutorials in your Etsy

Old 2011-10-20, 11:57am

I think she must have stepped out ... dang her !! LOL
I'm still waiting for mine to be sent, I have a million things to do anyway before I will allow myself to work on one .... one of those days/weeks !!
~~