Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-08-06, 8:20am
Born on date: 11/3/09!

Default A Duh question about my Canon Rebel XS and Macro filters

I'm trying to figure this out, and I'm feeling a bit stupid. Based on the thread about the helpfulness of macro filters I'm ready to buy a set on EBay. Here's where I am confused: my Rebel is a 35MM digital SLR camera but all of the filters say "58 MM filter."

I found an expired listing that was specifically for the Canon Rebel and the listing also said "58mm UV/PL/FD/Macro Filters Canon EOS Rebel XS XSi T1i."

Is it safe to assume that the listings for 58 MM filters that fit DSLR cameras would work with my Canon Rebel? I'm thrown off because the camera is a 35MM camera but all the listings are for "58 MM."

Thanks so much.

Jennifer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The little love of my life...
Old 2009-08-06, 8:33am

It really isn't a 35mm camera, but is the same size as the Canon line of 35mm bodies and take the lenses for them. The 35mm is the size of the film the nondigital film cameras used.

That said, the 58mm that you are seeing is the diameter of the lens. This will be bigger than the size of the camera to let more light in for better pictures. 58mm is probably the most common size, but you will find lenses in 52mm and 72mm as well for specialty things. You can tell what size you need by looking on the front of your lens. There should be a size in white letters/numbers around the glass with the lens model etc. Be sure that you use the diameter not the length which is also expressed in millimeters. In most cases it will be 58mm for Canon lenses. If it is smaller, they make what are called step-up lenses that are adapters that allow you to use a bigger filter on the lens.

Cheers,

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-08-06, 8:36am
Born on date: 11/3/09!

Thank you so much for the explanation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
It really isn't a 35mm camera, but is the same size as the Canon line of 35mm bodies and take the lenses for them. The 35mm is the size of the film the nondigital film cameras used.

That said, the 58mm that you are seeing is the diameter of the lens. This will be bigger than the size of the camera to let more light in for better pictures. 58mm is probably the most common size, but you will find lenses in 52mm and 72mm as well for specialty things. You can tell what size you need by looking on the front of your lens. There should be a size in white letters/numbers around the glass with the lens model etc. Be sure that you use the diameter not the length which is also expressed in millimeters. In most cases it will be 58mm for Canon lenses. If it is smaller, they make what are called step-up lenses that are adapters that allow you to use a bigger filter on the lens.

Cheers,

The little love of my life...
Old 2009-08-06, 8:43am

The writing on the front of the lens should look something like this:

CANON LENS EF 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6. Ø58mm

The last part is the filter size.

It looks like the Canon Rebel XS was mostly sold with the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS in the kit form. If this the is lens you got then it should have a 58mm filter size.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.