Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-30, 9:23pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Default Recycling Perfume Bottles?

I've just been given some empty Samsara perfume bottles. They're a beautiful deep red glass, and they weigh roughly half a kilo all told.
Would anyone have any idea what COE these would be? Or even if I could melt them down sufficiently on a HH?
I don't expect they'd be compatible with the 104 I currently work with, but I'd love to know more about melting down coloured bottle glass.

Cheers
di

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA# P107

Last edited by essiemessy; 2010-11-30 at 9:23pm. Reason: can't bloody spell..
Old 2010-12-01, 11:28am
Ellyloo-YAH!

I think that the main thing is to determine if the glass is red glass, or if the bottles have been coloured after the fact.

do a search on recycled glass, you'll find a lot of info, but I think that the consensus is that coe's vary from bottle to bottle, even in the same product or batch. if yiou want to use a frit or an enamel, remember the 10% rule. Don't mix glass bottle to bottle--you'll probably get compatibility problems.

Old 2010-12-01, 1:17pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Thanks, Elly.
Need to break one to see if it is red glass. Have to break them anyway

Hoping I can just burn off the gold paint, too.

SRA# P107
Old 2010-12-02, 6:45pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I melted some of that lovely red bottle glass yesterday. No problems heating it - not shocking or anything like that. However, having determined that the glass itself was red, and not just coated, I was very surprised (and intrigued!) to find that when it was hot enough to pull, it also went clear. And stayed clear. When I made a bead with the stuff I'd pulled, it remained clear, but had devitrified something fierce. Not nice at all. Maybe I need to use a hotter torch than a HH. I tried striking a few times and marvering, but nothing happened. Bummer.
Oh well, if nothing else, it was a good motivator to wipe down my table since I have no idea of the COE, in case I picked up a scrap to add to my bitzer frit heap.

SRA# P107
Old 2010-12-02, 10:10pm
Unmedicated since '62

i want to melt my poison bottle - i have two, one is the most beautiful pearly white and the other is black. the black might be ok but i think the pearly one is coated

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy