Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-11-05, 8:35pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Default A dichro tip I read in a boro thread works for soft glass too!

Cosmo posted in a boro room thread that if you use an oxidizing flame when you work with dichro, it will help keep it from burning. I have some "problematic" dichro, so I tried working with that last night with my oxy turned all the way up and WOW, what a HUGE difference it made. It has completely eliminated my problem!

Just wanted to pass the tip along - and Cosmo - here's to you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-11-05, 8:38pm
Karen James

Thanks Cosmo and Squid! Now maybe when I use Dichro in a bead, it will be visible!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2009-11-05, 8:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I was gobsmacked that it made such a difference!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-11-05, 8:51pm
Karen James

I'm finding it's those things that make the biggest difference. I took my first class at the beginning of Oct. with Kate Fowle Meleney. While I learned some amazing techniques, it was the little here and there side tips that have made a difference in how I work glass as a whole.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2009-11-05, 9:12pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I was gobsmacked that it made such a difference!
You've just been waiting to use that word, haven't you?

Old 2009-11-05, 9:35pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
You've just been waiting to use that word, haven't you?
YES!!!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-11-05, 11:10pm

Lol ... gobsmacked - takes me back to the 70's!

Wish I'd know this .... well around 5 years ago ... will give it a go tomorrow!

Old 2009-11-05, 11:46pm
And silence is golden

Squidly thanks! I can't wait until I get Jimminy Cricket in working order.
Old 2009-11-06, 10:32am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Thanks goes to Cosmo!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-11-06, 12:43pm
just plain silly

Thanks Cosmo and Squid! I have some really weird, bubbly, dichro and I'm going to try this tip.

Suzanne
Old 2009-11-06, 8:31pm
Catnip Pusher

Well, I tried this tip and it was a total failure for me. It actually turned out worse than before. Maybe this only works if you have tanked oxy and can turn it up instead of turning the propane down?

Aimee
Old 2009-11-06, 8:51pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
Well, I tried this tip and it was a total failure for me. It actually turned out worse than before. Maybe this only works if you have tanked oxy and can turn it up instead of turning the propane down?

Aimee
That could be the case. It's the oxygen itself that makes the difference. Oxygen concentrators don't put out oxygen as pure as tanks. If you are using concentrators, I would turn your propane down even more. As I'm sure you know you have to run the flame a little more oxidizing to get a true neutral flame due to the less pure oxygen, so you will probably have to make it even more oxidizing to keep the dichroic from burning.

Old 2009-11-06, 9:24pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post

I am on oxycons and it worked great for me. Perhaps try a little of both - oxy up and propane down?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2009-11-06, 10:33pm
Life is change. Love it

Tried it today, I'll let you know!

Old 2009-11-07, 12:16am
Catnip Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I am on oxycons and it worked great for me. Perhaps try a little of both - oxy up and propane down?
Perhaps you can do that with two oxycons, but I think most folks just have one - mine is at it's maximum.

Aimee
Old 2009-11-08, 5:34am
organically speaking

O.K., I'm trying this because I'm sick of crying over all those wasted dichro beads (and money) that end up in the trash.

Old 2009-11-08, 12:33pm
Ad astra per aspera

I'm on a generator, and I've always cranked up the oxy when applying dichro. The other trick is to use something flat (I prefer a dental spatula), apply heat to the strip, and spread the clear over the edges of the dichro. Watch your heat as you apply the strip and don't let the edges curl up. Rock the strip back & forth as you're applying it to make the edges stick. If you get a little scum, use fine, pointed tweezers (the kind they make for suture removal are excellent) and pluck it away.