Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-05, 6:39pm
I think my raku is broken

After I remove the bead I grab a steel wool scrubber and run it over the mandrel. I used to clean them in the sink but hubby got all weird about how much clay was gumming up the plumbing works. So no sink. Just the steel wool and a garbage can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-05, 10:27pm

Bead release can be harmful to breathe. Make sure that you do whatever you do with water to make the dust mud.
Old 2010-10-06, 7:06pm
Glass-aholic

I use a steel sponge with the larger weave and wire. or the copper ones. the scrubbies.. easiest thing i ever did... run under some water and thats it. I imagine you could use a wire brush on a cordless drill or a wire brush for a grinding wheel and clean them that way too.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-10-07, 7:54am
Lover of all things color

One thing I will say here is that I've found that, while torching, make sure to heat the entire length of the bead release. When it's heated well it comes off easier. The area that I don't heat is the hardest to get off.

I soak my beaded mandrels for about an hour prior to removal. I use an old pie plate in the sink to twist off all the unused bead release prior to removing the bead, thus keeping it from going down the drain.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con