Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-26, 10:30pm

Default A Good Book in Making Murrini?

Is there a good book out there on making different types of murrini cane? I'm trying to figure out the murrini flowers and fish and would love a book with instructions on how to do one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-05-27, 10:11am

Miniature Masterpieces: Mosaic Glass, 1838-1924 (Hardcover)
by Giovanni Sarpellon.

Seriously cool book. Seriously expensive: starts at $279.95 on Amazon.

Check out classes with Loren Stump (www.stumpchuck.com) to learn how to really do it right.

Robert
Old 2008-05-27, 11:35am
novembersfyre everywhere

Pati Walton's book in James Kervin's booklet series has some step-by-step photos of making a clownfish murrini.

This one:

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=1985

I did the clownfish in her class and it is a good starter type of murrini because of the way it is built.

I took a Loren Stump class and we made a more difficult fish murrini. It took three days to build from start to finish.

If you are looking for numbers and letters Cindy Jenkin's original book has diagrams and some tips for building them.

Old 2008-05-27, 5:44pm
yukue fumei

wow, that is
Which level class was that from? Is his class hard?
I am really tempted to start taking them but I feel like I need to get more skills before I attempt it....what are your thoughts?
Thanks!

nagi

Old 2008-05-27, 6:27pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagibeads View Post
wow, that is
Which level class was that from? Is his class hard?
I am really tempted to start taking them but I feel like I need to get more skills before I attempt it....what are your thoughts?
Thanks!

Denise, you have great sculptural skills so this should be a good fit for you.
I took the third class in the sequence that Loren offers where I made that fish murrini and a paperweight and much, much, more!

Here's the description of the class I took:

http://www.stumpchuck.com/classes.htm

Theme Classes - Under the Sea / In the Jungle / In the Garden / In the Desert (5 days)
For people who have already taken Loren I and II and want to come back again for something new. Each themed class will include Murrini, sculptural and encasement projects related to the theme of the class. For example, "Under the Sea" includes several kinds of fish Murrini. The sculptural portion includes several kinds of sea creatures with tentacles and fins. The encasement portion involves creating a paperweight of an underwater scene with rocks, coral, shells, fish and sea creatures created in the other two portions of the class. "In the Jungle" covers frogs, lizards, bugs, tropical foliage and other things you find in the jungle. "In the Sky" covers birds, bugs and other things you find in the sky. "In the Desert" covers lizards, tortoise and other desert things. "In the Garden" covers bees, dragonflies, flowers, etc.

I didn't take Loren I or II first - although I should have! If I ever take a class with him again I will drop back to Loren I.

Here's the size of one scale that went into that fish murrini. Take your fist and ball it up. That was the size of one of the fish scales that we made and pulled down and cut up and stacked, etc., etc.

Old 2008-05-27, 8:10pm
product of the universe

I know a variety of fimo techs can be used to make murinni.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-05-28, 2:34am
More ideas than talent

There are also murrine making techniques in the Japanese bead making books.

Old 2008-05-28, 6:12am

I just did Loren II (In the Jungle) last week and had a great time. I would recommend that you do the Loren I class as a starting point (I did #1 last year) and go from there. They are great courses and you'll get a lot out of it. Be sure that you've got plenty of energy and stamina - you'll work pretty late every day for all 5 days.

Robert
Old 2008-05-28, 7:25am
yukue fumei

Thanks! That helps me alot! I think I will look into the Loren I....
WOW--if the fish scale is that big to begin with it must have been pretty heavy when assembled(even after pulling it down)!
I really want to take the advanced class....I want to be able to do some of the big sculptures in soft glass and those crazy murrini! That would be so cool!
I bought a stumpsucker a while back but it would be great to get the hands on tutorial...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
Denise, you have great sculptural skills so this should be a good fit for you.
I took the third class in the sequence that Loren offers where I made that fish murrini and a paperweight and much, much, more!

Here's the description of the class I took:

http://www.stumpchuck.com/classes.htm

Theme Classes - Under the Sea / In the Jungle / In the Garden / In the Desert (5 days)
For people who have already taken Loren I and II and want to come back again for something new. Each themed class will include Murrini, sculptural and encasement projects related to the theme of the class. For example, "Under the Sea" includes several kinds of fish Murrini. The sculptural portion includes several kinds of sea creatures with tentacles and fins. The encasement portion involves creating a paperweight of an underwater scene with rocks, coral, shells, fish and sea creatures created in the other two portions of the class. "In the Jungle" covers frogs, lizards, bugs, tropical foliage and other things you find in the jungle. "In the Sky" covers birds, bugs and other things you find in the sky. "In the Desert" covers lizards, tortoise and other desert things. "In the Garden" covers bees, dragonflies, flowers, etc.

I didn't take Loren I or II first - although I should have! If I ever take a class with him again I will drop back to Loren I.

Here's the size of one scale that went into that fish murrini. Take your fist and ball it up. That was the size of one of the fish scales that we made and pulled down and cut up and stacked, etc., etc.

nagi

Last edited by nagibeads; 2008-05-28 at 7:34am.
Old 2008-05-28, 7:33am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
I just did Loren II (In the Jungle) last week and had a great time. I would recommend that you do the Loren I class as a starting point (I did #1 last year) and go from there. They are great courses and you'll get a lot out of it. Be sure that you've got plenty of energy and stamina - you'll work pretty late every day for all 5 days.

Robert
That sounds great Robert! Thank you so much. Do you by chance have pictures of the things you made? I would love to see them! Thank you!
I heard he likes to go very late (or early?) into the night/morning. I hope I can keep up!

nagi

Old 2008-05-28, 8:25am

Here's a slice of my parrot head murrini from last week. It hasn't been polished yet and I had to bug out the last day before I could complete the paperweight (long story). I've got photos of some other stuff in another computer - Ill see if I can dig it out later. It a good class and does run on into the evening - I never stayed past 11pm myself, but some of the others worked on a lot later. Being an old fart with a long drive home made it tough to stay too late.

Robert
Old 2008-05-28, 8:47am
yukue fumei

WOWIE! Your murrini is beautiful!! This is exactly what I want to learn!
Thank you so much for the photo!

nagi

Old 2008-05-28, 9:29am

Thanks. The beak got a little wonky so I'm going to do another one. It is an involved process and doesn't happen in a hurry, but murrini making is pretty cool. I'm working on a couple of new ideas now - will post when they're done.

Robert
Old 2008-05-28, 5:24pm

Here's a Man in the Moon murrini that I made last summer. My wife made the earrings.
Robert

Old 2008-05-28, 10:44pm
yukue fumei

very cool and unique idea!
thanks for the pic

nagi

Old 2008-05-29, 12:06am
product of the universe

I like the detail around the eye.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.