Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2011-06-17, 9:44am
Master Procrastinator

Just wanted to add that you should be sure to note the size of these fence rails. They seem to be deeper than the ones I had previously gotten. Not a bad thing, just noteworthy if space is tight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-06-17, 11:47am

Wonderful, when I finally get some money I can get some of these! Thanks for the link Lea and I'm glad you and Kristi finally got some Sue!

Tina

Old 2011-06-29, 9:29pm

Thanks so much for the link- I've been trying for a while to find them.
How and what do you use to cut the 8 footers down in length size?
Old 2011-07-11, 6:35pm

Thanks for posting that link! I need to order. Then have to get them cut. Any suggestions on how to cut them down to a usable size.
Old 2011-07-11, 6:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Miter saw!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-07-11, 6:43pm
Master Procrastinator

You're more than welcome! Mine came in a couple of weeks ago. Got my glass in their new cubbies. Just need to reorganize my boro & then will be all done.

I just used a circular saw to cut them. I was told that any wood cutting blade would work. Worked fine. But be prepared to have plastic sawdust all over. I didn't want to do it outside (big mistake) cos I didn't want the neighbors snooping. They already think I'm nuts.

Old 2011-08-10, 6:32pm
offically down under

Another option for you glass whores that need more room. You can get vinyl downspouts which are similar to the fence posts but without the sections. http://www.amazon.com/Genova-Product.../dp/B000BZ49Z6
Attached Images

Old 2011-08-11, 7:30am
Curmudgeon Engineering

They are harder to find but you can get PVC (vinyl) downspouts that are 2" square and without the 'wrinkles'. Come in 12 ft lengths, brown or white. Much easier to glue together. About $10 per length.
Old 2011-08-11, 3:17pm
Always smiling, again.

Lea thank you so much for posting that link! I was having the hardest time searching for them.

The closest Lowes to us has them priced at $13.29 each but I did see some used ones on Craigslist going for $5 bucks each. Sent them a message, now just waiting for a reply.

Old 2011-08-11, 3:57pm
Master Procrastinator

WOW! That's amazing! What did you search for? There are so many glass peeps in Oregon, I would think glass storage would probably do it!

Old 2011-08-11, 5:48pm
Fancy Mammal

Thank you Lea for posting the link, and Janet for linking to it! These are very hard to find in these civilized parts
Old 2011-08-12, 11:50am
Debra Clutter

I ordered mine from Lowes and cut them up to put them in a temp storage cabinet until my hubby builds me a new one. I should of bought more or I need to get rid of some glass! This thread was so helpful in finding the right ones. I ordered online and they delivered them to my local store.
Thanks everyone!

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2011-08-13, 7:53am
Always smiling, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
WOW! That's amazing! What did you search for? There are so many glass peeps in Oregon, I would think glass storage would probably do it!
Did google searches for fencing, and got tired of scrolling through countless pages of all the wrong links. I tried looking up glass storage and it pops up food containers, LOL.

Old 2011-08-13, 8:00pm

Default Janel do you still need the number?

Had the same issue..... But talked to a REALLY helpful associate at Lowes early one AM she gave me the number. It took about 10 days to have them delivered to my local Lowes, they don't charge for this. My cousin then picked them up and is cutting them for me.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_87348-73428-...toreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStore Bean%403a9d7857]&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dvinyl%2Bfence%2Bra ils&storeNumber=1917&Ntt=vinyl+fence+rails&langId=-1&errorURL=UserAccountView&storeId=10151

`910UOTE=Janel Dudley;3663787]Did google searches for fencing, and got tired of scrolling through countless pages of all the wrong links. I tried looking up glass storage and it pops up food containers, LOL.[/quote]
Old 2011-08-14, 7:30am
Debra Clutter

Click this link to order them online from Lowes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
I know this is a somewhat oldish thread, but I have been making myself nuts looking for the fence rail. I went to Lowes & they couldn't find the catalog to even look for it. Then Sue (a different Sue) PM'd me the link she used to buy them online. Thought others might like it too. Just input your zip code & it will take you to a special order page. Free shipping to your local Lowes for pick up! YEAH!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_87348-73428-73061401S_0__?ipTrail=69.120.20.157&catalogId=1005 1&productId=3362766&pl=1&selectedLocalStoreBeanArr ay=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStore Bean%403a9d7857]&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dvinyl%2Bfence%2Bra ils&storeNumber=1917&Ntt=vinyl+fence+rails&langId=-1&errorURL=UserAccountView&storeId=10151

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2011-08-14, 8:44am
Always smiling, again.

Sangell, thanks for asking, finally was able to find them because of this helpful thread!

I was even looking at the 1-3/4" x 5-1/4" x 16' ones since I've got so many colors but most are in smaller quantities, these are $16.97 http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stor...901#store-info (hope this link works) but there doesn't seem to be an option to add to cart. I need to call and see if these are even available.

Also will be calling a local vinyl fencing guy tomorrow to see what sizes he has available and what his pricing looks like.

Old 2011-08-14, 11:11am
Master Procrastinator

just wanted to add that you should check the sizing when you oreder them. I ordered the ones in the link I provided & they WERE the smaller ones. The only difference I see is the length so the one you mentioned, Janel, is an even better buy at twice the length! Nice find! Will keep it bookmarked in case I need more.

Old 2012-12-19, 4:18pm
New Lampworker

Thank you so very much, Sue!! I hope I can still get them, but at least it's a start, having all that information beforehand. I'm just starting to build a studio in my garage and need all the help I can get! My teacher told me about this site and what to search for, so it's been great for me. Thanks again!
Shirl
Old 2012-12-19, 4:37pm
New Lampworker

Hi Janel,
I forgot to ask what you use to cut them with. My husband is less than no help at all!
Old 2012-12-20, 8:36am
Marble Lover

I plan on using my band saw to cut mine when I get them.

If you don't have access to one, make friends at your local high school's shop and see if the teacher there will cut them down for you.

Lowe's will plywood, etc. for you when you buy it there, and I think they "charge" something like $0.25 per cut, but they've never actually charged me for cutting stuff. I don't know if they will want to run vinyl/polyresin through their saw, though.

-BEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlannd View Post
Hi Janel,
I forgot to ask what you use to cut them with. My husband is less than no help at all!
Old 2012-12-20, 8:44am

I use a table saw to cut them. Outside, since it sluffs off enormous amounts of vinyl shreds that are static-y and messy and hard to clean up. I have a blade dedicated to cutting fence rail. It leaves gunk on the blade.
Old 2012-12-20, 8:57am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
It leaves gunk on the blade.
I was kind of worried about this, figuring the friction might heat it up enough to melt small amounts of the plastic filings onto the blade.

I have extra table saw blades, but only one band saw blade. I may just use the table saw instead of the band saw. Then again, maybe it won't stick to the band saw blade.

Oh well, I'll just have to try when I buy the rails and see how it goes!

-BEP
Old 2012-12-20, 1:16pm

I use a lay down band saw and cut real Slooowwww.

Bette
Old 2012-12-20, 1:23pm
I fart diamonds

A circular saw also works great. I've used an angle grinder, too.

Old 2012-12-20, 1:28pm
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
A circular saw also works great. I've used an angle grinder, too.
Gotta love all these options. Gotta love even more than I have them all! Power tool fetish...

Love the penguins on your blog, by the way.

-BEP
Old 2012-12-21, 6:05am
I fart diamonds

Thanks! They're fun to make.

Old 2012-12-26, 11:48pm

Default My glass storage

Living on an island I had some trouble ordering my "rails" from Lowes. They were special order and not in the system, but they were in their master paper catalog! Took about 3 weeks and they didn't charge shipping. They would not cut them because they claimed it would ruin their saw! So hubby took them to work to cut them with a chop saw (circular) which left some rough edges that I cleaned up with a small flat file. I glued them with PVC glue but they're not so perfectly flat and the end pieces have notches in them, so i just used clothes pins to hold the edges together overnight! I only glued them as stacks and not side by side so they'd be easier to handle because the stuff is heavy. This is 8 - 8ft rails cut to 12 inches. It sounded like a lot to me, but they filled up fast! The rack was from Lowes too.

Old 2013-01-01, 8:17am
New Lampworker

Default Rails and Racks

I just love how your glass storeage truned out! It not only is functional, but looks great and the racks keep everything sturdy. I have seen some systems that had as many as 10 or more high of rails with no racks and I wondered if it wouldn't all come crashing down someday. Thanks for the info.
Shirl
Old 2013-01-01, 8:46am
Melody of Glass

I cut mine with a table saw. Ditto on doing it outside - white, static-y confetti everywhere! I didn't really notice that it had stuck to the blade. Will have to go have a look. I wish I had a chop saw. I think that's really the right tool for the job. Or at least better than my tiny unstable crappy table saw, anyway

I used some clear packing tape to hold the bundles together. I have a shelving unit with 12" square cubbies so I taped bundles together that fit in each of the cubbies.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-02, 1:32pm
New Lampworker

I found the racks and rails at my local Lowes online. They already had the rails, which really surprised me. They are:
Barrette 2-in x 6-in x 8-ft White Vinyl Fence Rails $13.29 ea.
Item #: 87348 | Model #: 73061401S
These are the rails with 3 sections and smooth on the outside. SEE PICTURE BELOW.

They have several Steel Shelving Units like the one here, but different sizes:

Style Selections 74-in H x 48-in W x 18-in D 5-Tier Steel Freestanding Shelving Unit $79.97
Add to Cart Style Selections 74-in H x 48-in W x 18-in D 5-Tier Steel Freestanding Shelving Unit
Item #: 71034
Model #: 184874C-DS
They ar shipping mine for FREE.

Hope this helps any of you who are still having problems ordering them.
Shirl
Attached Images

Last edited by *ShirlAnn*; 2013-01-02 at 1:52pm. Reason: Added something.