Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-17, 7:00pm
Fascinated by Fire

Default Why is Brass used for Bead Presses?

I found someone local that is willing to play around and see about making some presses for me...but I learned that brass isn't cheap and I don't want to waste money for him to play (ya know). I talked to my dad (a metallurgical engineer) and he wasn't sure why we couldn't use steel. Can't use aluminum cuz the melting point is too low. Is there something about the brass and the heat from the glass and the possibility of thermal shock?? Please enlighten me...

Any ideas?? (Any presses he made would be for me only...we aren't talking about any kind of mass marketing)
Old 2006-04-17, 7:14pm
Is it May yet?

I think it has something to do with sticking to the steel, bit it won't stick to the brass as easily...andy if I am wrong, some one please correct me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-18, 4:25am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynT
I found someone local that is willing to play around and see about making some presses for me...but I learned that brass isn't cheap and I don't want to waste money for him to play (ya know). I talked to my dad (a metallurgical engineer) and he wasn't sure why we couldn't use steel. Can't use aluminum cuz the melting point is too low. Is there something about the brass and the heat from the glass and the possibility of thermal shock?? Please enlighten me...

Any ideas?? (Any presses he made would be for me only...we aren't talking about any kind of mass marketing)
Actually, you can use aluminum for the prototypes and make the final press in brass. Aluminum won't melt, but it does conduct heat like crazy! Brass is the metal of choice because glass doesn't stick as readily and you don't get the pitting like you do with steel with some glasses. It's also very soft.